Gentile ,Mammola, Calabria
Last post by nuccia in Southern Italy on Jul 20, 2017 at 07:52:30

looking for manifest of Sabato Pizzano changed to Pisano
Last post by DaveFerro in Southern Italy on Jul 19, 2017 at 21:29:46

Looking for Vincenzo Contrera
Last post by Biff83 in Southern Italy on Jul 10, 2017 at 23:36:16

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › AWESOME Announcement!!! :)

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
AWESOME Announcement!!! :)

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: AWESOME Announcement!!! :) Reply with quote

OK - for all of you with roots in any town in Cosenza Province....
The Province has finally begun putting the stato records online!!! I checked a number of towns out including Montalto Uffugo and there is not much up yet (they began with births and so far none of the years up are complete yet) but it is a great start! I know how long this can take! A great feature will be on the births of the boys you will be able to view their lista di leva! The link is HERE OK - if ever there was a time for banana dancers, it's now! As Riccardo would say yyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
party party party

Eleven
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: AWESOME Announcement!!! :) Reply with quote

It looks like suddenly everyone wants to get into the act. First ancestry puts records online, the FHL and now Italy. I hope other areas follow suit. For me, this is like a dream come true, getting these records out there. When I began my genealogy, 16 years ago, there wasnt even an internet. I used to dream of being able to access records from my home with my own film and reader...so thats why when I read things like this..its like my prayers have been answered.
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: AWESOME Announcement!!! :) Reply with quote

Well its my dream come true. The site is ok but not as good as Cathy's site. There are still lots to go up and errors galore but it's a start. I think they should hire our Cathy to head up the project. Smile

Calabria Exchange
Eleven
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: AWESOME Announcement!!! :) Reply with quote

Ya know..no matter how many errors they make..if you really want to find your people..you find them. Anyone with a little searching experience, realizes, once you dont find them with the correct spelling, you try other spellings.

You would never believe how badly damaged my grandfathers index card for the manifest was. He was my very first search at the NYC public library. We spent about 6 hours there, the first saturday we went. Thats 6 hours, no eating, drinking, smoking or peeing. I couldnt find him. It took me another time or two. I had finally come upon a very faded card, with his surname..and very lightly I could see it said barber (his profession) and Nov and I wasnt quite too sure of the year..but I KNEW this was him. We began going ship by ship, page by page for the month of november, starting with 1901, but planning on 09, 10, etc if it wasnt 01..and with the help of God, I found his manifest Nov 18, 1901 when no sane person should have been able to.

Of course, years later..I found him several times on the ellis island site and ancestry. Of course, this took a little effort, too.

Believe me..determined decendants can find anything..as long as it was written down, somewhere.
charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: AWESOME Announcement!!! :) Reply with quote

Great news, although it would have been even greater news if this had occured before I spent 4 years researching San Giorgio Albanese....well, at least maybe I can correct some of my mistakes

Embarassed

Researching: Corato, Provincia di Bari in Puglia e San Giorgio Albanese, Provincia di Cosenza in Calabria.
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: AWESOME Announcement!!! :) Reply with quote

Quote::
well, at least maybe I can correct some of my mistakes

Don't bet on it. The site is FULL of mistakes so be careful. It's still a great site though.

Calabria Exchange
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: AWESOME Announcement!!! :) Reply with quote

Charlie - I found a lot of mistakes too. There is not a lot up yet - all the years that are up are not complete yet. It is a work in progress. But it is a step in the right direction. Since they have years up that I have not gotten to yet, I found dozens of names! It is a great tool and searchable by surname which makes it so much easier to search. However, you have to try several spellings of each surname. In their defense I will say some of the name were spelled incorrectly by the stato officials at the time these documents were recorded. My own Napolitano surname was spelled Napoletano in the late 1880's by the stato officials - actually by 1 official.
The most awesome part right now is you can search by surname and leave the town blank. It will give you every comune that surname is found in! I have found members of my family born in other comuni and since only the earlier years are up I have a better idea of where some of these surnames originated from. I find it interesting that the only Napolitano's found in San Fili are Nuccia's family and no one before 1823! This makes it pretty clear her Napolitano's came from another comune. Hmm...I wonder where?! Confused
I just wish the images were bigger! I am so grateful I will not have to do those Montalto births! Shocked hide
party

charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: AWESOME Announcement!!! :) Reply with quote

I didn't see anything for San Giorgio Albanese yet, at least for the Cognome I searched for

Researching: Corato, Provincia di Bari in Puglia e San Giorgio Albanese, Provincia di Cosenza in Calabria.
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: AWESOME Announcement!!! :) Reply with quote

I did a search of DeLuca for San Giorgio and a few came up - give it time and keep trying. They just put this up so they have a long way to go. My guess is it will take years to complete from 1809-1935. I don't know how many people they have assigned to this project but there are a lot of comuni in Cosenza and 140 years of records for each.

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: AWESOME Announcement!!! :) Reply with quote

Ha ha..I found my Napolitanos. Actually..YOU found my NAPOLITANOS! lol

Cathy..think we're related after all?????? We have to keep at this and see where it takes us.

I also wish the images were bigger. I am really struggling with some of them and if I try and make them larger they go all blurry. DO you think it's because they want people to order the actual records?

Calabria Exchange
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: AWESOME Announcement!!! :) Reply with quote

Yours were millers...mine were millers....dunno...but Francesco was not born in San Fili so....you need his marriage. hide Sorry...
They do sell the images there - I'm sure they want the money.

Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: AWESOME Announcement!!! :) Reply with quote

nuccia wrote:
I also wish the images were bigger. I am really struggling with some of them and if I try and make them larger they go all blurry. DO you think it's because they want people to order the actual records?

What am I doing wrong? Are images available for all the records? I did a search for a Salvatore Benvenuto from Acri; he's likely my wife's great grandfather. Results showed a birth and draft record for him giving date of birth as 31 Aug 1862, father Pietrangelo Benvenuto and mother Raffaela Pignataro. When I click on the image of the paper and magnifying glass for either record, a new page opens but I can't find any way to access an image. What am I doing wrong??

Help appreciated.

Thanks,
Biff

"You live as long as you are remembered." -- Russian proverb
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: AWESOME Announcement!!! :) Reply with quote

Nothing Biff....most of the images are not up yet. I know for Montalto (so far) the only images I have seen are a handful of lista di leva's.

Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: AWESOME Announcement!!! :) Reply with quote

Thanks for your quick response, Cathy!

I thought I was doing something wrong. Here's hoping that the province of Catanzaro will follow Cosenza's lead.

Baci,
Biff

"You live as long as you are remembered." -- Russian proverb
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: AWESOME Announcement!!! :) Reply with quote

Actually, I am not sure how they are doing this but I just did a search on Chiapetta a huge name in Cosenza Province and I only came up with a few, none of which were from Marano, Rende or Montalto where the name was the most populated. And Charlie I noticed in San Benedetto Ullano very few names up. It's another Abereshe comune so I think they are saving the bulk of those comuni for last - I think it's scaring them lol. Smile
I will be putting the rest of the marriages up for Montalto until they catch up with me then, I'm so done with the Cosenza Exchange!! Mr. Green

Page 1 of 3All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: