Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › Memories and Guides › PC Info and Guides › FTM 16

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
FTM 16
For help with tech support and programs
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index PC Info and Guides Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rfornal
Mod
Mod

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: FTM 16 Reply with quote

charliemis wrote:
The software and instructions are available online at the FHC download site. Last time I checked it was not available for MS Windows Mobile.

I use Pocket Genealogist for Windows Mobile and love it ... LINK HERE

rfornal
Mod
Mod

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: FTM 16 Reply with quote

One more thing ... given the discussion, I placed a page onto the Wiki for Software recommendations.

Several of you have made recommendations or given information about various packages ... you can link to the site here and place comments.

Thanks in advance ... HERE IS THE PAGE

Gina501
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: FTM 16 Reply with quote

Bob, can you help me with one more thing? (I know I am about to get *whapped* for this).

I am going to work for a different company in a few weeks. I have worked for this company once before and I already know it's like working for Big Brother. There is no access to any website other than the company's own. I need email access so as not to be shut off from friends, family and would also like to be able to visit webistes so as not to be shut off from Gente.

With the risk of sounding really really stupid (I have not caught up to the technology age yet), what do I need for this? A cell phone, pda etc??? I do not know the difference or what they do. Is there a phone or something that will do all of this? I would also be interested in this Pocket Genealogist thing too....

Searching surnames -
Graziano, Trella, Del Principe (AQ)
Ignazio, Biani, Della Valle, Scarani (PC)

Poipu04
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: FTM 16 Reply with quote

Hi, Bob, Thanks for your reply. I scanned the pics directly into FTM in the scrapbook option. I do have some, but not all, saved separetly under a my pictures folder and subfolders. So, I am a bit lost...after transferring the data as a gedcom, do the photos I saved to FTM need to be saved to individual folders, independent of FTM?

Gina, I originally had no external acess to e-mail or the web at work. I used to check my e-mail off of my cell phone. It was a standard cell phone with web capabilities. However, it was very difficult to write back because you are using your alphanumeric keypad. I also have a palm pilot that is wi-fi compatible. This made it easier to write back to people and view some web sites, although I could not get onto gente with it, and I was lucky because my office is near a free public wi-fi hotspot. I wonder if that new I-Phone would be good? I heard there are still some kinks to work out.

rfornal
Mod
Mod

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: FTM 16 Reply with quote

Gina501 wrote:
Bob, can you help me with one more thing? (I know I am about to get *whapped* for this).

I am going to work for a different company in a few weeks. I have worked for this company once before and I already know it's like working for Big Brother. There is no access to any website other than the company's own. I need email access so as not to be shut off from friends, family and would also like to be able to visit webistes so as not to be shut off from Gente.

With the risk of sounding really really stupid (I have not caught up to the technology age yet), what do I need for this? A cell phone, pda etc??? I do not know the difference or what they do. Is there a phone or something that will do all of this? I would also be interested in this Pocket Genealogist thing too....

OK, you are looking to stay connected while at work, is this correct? Or are you looking for new home options?

A cell phone can access the Internet, if the account is configured for it.

A PDA (also called a Mobile device) is more of a computer ... an electronic device that allows for scheduling, internet access, phone lists ... much more flexible than a phone.

There are new Smart Phones that do both ... cell phone Internet access can be costly and the price goes up as you go down the list.

rfornal
Mod
Mod

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: FTM 16 Reply with quote

Poipu04 wrote:
Hi, Bob, Thanks for your reply. I scanned the pics directly into FTM in the scrapbook option. I do have some, but not all, saved separetly under a my pictures folder and subfolders. So, I am a bit lost...after transferring the data as a gedcom, do the photos I saved to FTM need to be saved to individual folders, independent of FTM?

If you have everything in FTM now, simply transferring the file and importing into the new FTM will work ...

If you are going to use the GEDCOM format for the transfer, then you will have to transfer the images seperately and that will take placing them into folders (not necessarily seperate) using whatever organizational structure you like ... for the transfer.

Poipu04
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: FTM 16 Reply with quote

Thanks, Bob! Now, I understand!

Gina501
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: FTM 16 Reply with quote

I don't.....sorry Bob!

I am looking to stay connected while I am at work. Email and some web browsing - nothing fancy. Can you recommend something that will work for me? I appreciate the help, I really do!

Searching surnames -

rfornal
Mod
Mod

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: FTM 16 Reply with quote

Gina501 wrote:
I am looking to stay connected while I am at work. Email and some web browsing - nothing fancy. Can you recommend something that will work for me? I appreciate the help, I really do!

This is a somewhat tricky area.

The company you are going to work for might have other sites blocked to explicitly keep employees focused on the job. It it is simply to protect their network, one of the following might help.

Mobile devices will work, but only if there is WIFI access that you can connect into. Several companies that I have worked for had the access, but it was password encoded. You might get lucky and have a nearby company that has the access and the signal gets through to where you are.

Cell Phones and Smart Phones can provide e-mail and Internet access, but as previously mentioned it can be costly and typing messages can be a challenge. The advantage here is that if you get a cellphone signal, you can connect without WIFI or wireless.

Another area might be to get a laptop that you can take to lunch or on breaks to an area where you can get the wireless access ... many restraunts are carrying it just for these reasons.

I know it is not a perfect answer, but there are a lot of factors ... the biggest being what type of access you might have available ... WIFI, wireless, nothing ...

Gina501
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: FTM 16 Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help Bob. I think I get it now....
I do not think I will have access to wi-fi in the area I will be in, so a cell phone/smart phone will be the way to go.
Thanks so much!

Searching surnames -

rfornal
Mod
Mod

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: FTM 16 Reply with quote

Gina,

You are welcome ... glad to be of assistance.
Watch those costs ... do a small test for the first month, or so ... before you jump in!

Poipu04
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: FTM 16 Reply with quote

I have to second what Bob just said. When I had Cingular, my web mail plan did not eat up my on air minutes. However, when I went to Verizon, I thought that the same held true. Boy, did I have the shock of my life with overage charges the first month. My on air minutes counted for my checking e-mail from my phone.

Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: FTM 16 Reply with quote

Gina501 wrote:

Wow Gina - Congratulations on the new job! Even with complete internet access in the workplace, it is not a good idea to access websites or personal email at the workplace. Larger companies watch their employees internet access and I know our IT Department can pull the whole history of everything you have done on the internet at any time. I work in Human Resources so I know what my company can and does do. They can use this to fire you any time they choose. I try to limit my usage to my lunch hour and about an hour before I leave work, I check in on the forum. I don't like to check my personal email at work because I don't know how much of it they can see. Cellular access is definitely the way to go at work. Big brother is watching you in the workplace. Just my 2 cents worth.

Gina501
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: FTM 16 Reply with quote

Yes Cathy, you are right.
At my current job, nobody cares what I do. And we are a small office and no one looks at anyone's internet history. They don't know how and couldn't care less. Since there's only a few of us, everyone does their job. But at the new place, the only website you can log onto is their own and they have also given permission for mapquest. That's it. So, I need to do this as I would DIE without my email and Gente!

Searching surnames -

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: FTM 16 Reply with quote

Congtats on the new job Gina. I'm happy for you.

Lori, I found that link to the FTM help forum..

genforum.genealogy.com/install/

I hope it helps. I also hope you will all considering putting the info you have shared on the site Bob created. Its great to have all resources in one centralized area and theres a lot of info in those pages.

Sorry..I have to go back to bed now..been sick so I really can't stay online for too long...

Calabria Exchange
  Page 2 of 3All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index PC Info and Guides Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: