Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › General › General Discussion Groups › Earthquake - a personal view!

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Earthquake - a personal view!
Want to share something new or just have fun? You can do that here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index General Discussion Groups Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carole
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:29 am    Post subject: Earthquake - a personal view! Reply with quote

This post (below) was posted on a British/Italian site that I belong to. Many of their members, like me, actually live in Italy. This morning one guy, 'adriatica', who lives in Abruzzo near the epicentre, posted this poignant insight on what it is like to be living there at the moment.

I thought you would like to read it too so I asked him if I could post it here for you. It does, I feel put a different,and maybe more human (as opposed to a TV) perspective on life there at the moment.

My sincere thanks to adriatica for giving me his permission to share this with you all...

Quote::
By adriatica:

07.29 - 9th April 2009

Last night after what was for us a quiet thirty hours or so... things started up again at about 3... a long and big one had the house moving once again... and since then up until half an hour ago they have been fairly regular and strong...

the news just coming out about these ones is that the epicenter has moved north of L'aquila so i guess some people might be hearing and feeling these for the first time...

its a strange feeling that the thirty hour break actually seemed for me anyway a bit more worrying than the trembles that arrive seemingly in batches every twelve hours or so... obviously the earth is not planning anything but you get it in your head that the quiet before the storm sort of thinking and to be honest it made me more irritable and nervous at times yesterday

well anyway back to normality today ... a sort of relief after the first one that nature hadn't managed at least this time to store up anything worse than i could imagine... put into context again for me anyway when someone mentioned the bravery of men and women crawling down tunnels to seek others whilst there is every good chance with now 400 plus shocks since the main one that whilst there they will have to sit out a tremor with a collapsed building weighing down on them...

maybe its just lack of proper sleep but i think and i have heard comments by others around us and even reports via tv from aquila that we are almost becoming deadened in our sensibilities to each tremor...

the other thing you notice when you are out ...shopping and eating ...etc...yes normal life does go on is that since the first morning the noise level has increased... even above the normal Italian level... Monday and that seems a pretty long time ago i had to be in Teramo early in the morning and everywhere there was an almost eerie silence in shops and the bar... a glazed look as people really didn't know what was happening...over the days and noticeably yesterday this has risen to a crescendo as people now are debating loudly what has gone on ... especially vehement arguments over the death of people in school buildings and the fact that the hospital in aquila is not able to be used... the most recent addition to that place being the most severely damaged...

other things which cause much anger here are stories like the butcher than turned up with a van at one of the worst hit villages... you can imagine the scene as people that maybe have not had a proper meal for a while now saw him arrive and the smiles of welcome... most probably assuming that this will be some generous entrepreneur with a gift in time of need... no no no... meat offered for sale at 80 euro a kilo... i am surprised he got out of there alive... fair enough if it had been a normal price... i wish they had shown his name and face on the tv or published in the newspapers,,,, the police removed him and his van from the scene... why oh why didn't they confiscate the contents...

anyway its another day... luckily these tremors are not causing serious problems regarding life... i think one was killed in one of the recent aftershocks... but the police and army have sealed off most of the dangerous areas and no one in that area is sleeping inside a building .. anyway the sun continues to shine and hopefully all of you around here had a bit of sleep and no damage... and we will count another day as being some of the lucky ones....

meant to add before i finsihed that there is a state funeral tomorrow at 11.00 ... i should think that many places will shut here as a sign of respect well not only of respect ... grief and sorrow too... it will be the first chance to grieve together over the huge loss of life...

Researching: EDMED, SAVILL, TYSON, NEWCOMBE, STAPLETON, GUNTER, STAPLES
If you think education is expensive -try ignorance!

>Expats in Italy<
Come and join 'Dork and Friends'! >New Blog<
Robert
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Earthquake - a personal view! Reply with quote

Hi Carole,

I have to say it is the one thing I do miss about that forum, is Adriatica's postings. Very insightful and well thought out.

The perspective he brings to this whole disaster is invaluable.

lilbees
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Earthquake - a personal view! Reply with quote

Thank you for posting that personal view.

It has seemed to make the situation, to me, become more real than any broadcast. I feel the pain of so many people in that situation.

Thank you again.
lilbees

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Earthquake - a personal view! Reply with quote

lilbees wrote:
Thank you for posting that personal view.

It has seemed to make the situation, to me, become more real than any broadcast. I feel the pain of so many people in that situation.

Thank you again.
lilbees

I agree..I feel like I was there, reading that post. Its hard to believe that even through all this, there will always be at least one character, shallow enough, out there that will try to capitalize on someone else's misfortune.. I hope he is ashamed of himself (although somehow I doubt it)

Calabria Exchange
Italysearcher
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Earthquake - a personal view! Reply with quote

To set the record straight. The TV announced that this story of the butcher was NOT TRUE!

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Earthquake - a personal view! Reply with quote

Thank you Ann. I am really glad to hear that! I am also glad to see you're ok. Is there much damage to your area?

Calabria Exchange
Italysearcher
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Earthquake - a personal view! Reply with quote

Minor damage in Sora (and to the newer buildings!) Our house is built right on the rock so it doesn't move much.

Page 1 of 1All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index General Discussion Groups Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: