looking for manifest of Sabato Pizzano changed to Pisano
Last post by DaveFerro in Southern Italy on Jul 19, 2017 at 21:29:46

Looking for Vincenzo Contrera
Last post by Biff83 in Southern Italy on Jul 10, 2017 at 23:36:16

Locating info on my Italian cousin's death in WWII
Last post by charliemis in Southern Italy on Jul 09, 2017 at 04:06:05

Napolitano - Falzarano, Airola
Last post by goldfreaz in Southern Italy on Jun 15, 2017 at 01:29:50

How do we preserve our Genealogical research for the future?
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Jun 14, 2017 at 23:36:52

Maria Perri
Last post by MikeBarbato in Southern Italy on Jun 14, 2017 at 16:57:18

Lanni Family Sant Elia FR
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on May 31, 2017 at 10:03:19

Vuozzo Surname
Last post by Biff83 in About Us on Apr 29, 2017 at 19:15:44

Translate Do(edited)ent
Last post by Italysearcher in Translations on Apr 17, 2017 at 16:08:33

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › Pileggi/Maiuolo

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Pileggi/Maiuolo

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpeledge
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

Question I'm hoping to get some help on finding information about my great-grandparents and relative ancestors. My great-grandfather's name was Antonio Pileggi (changed to Peledge in the States) while my great-grandmother's name was Domenica Maiuolo (sometimes written as Maiolo here). They both born in, resided in, and married in Cortale, Italy though my great-grandfather's immigration note said Castale upon his first arrival on Jan. 24, 1900. He went back to Italy, got married, and came back with my great-grandmother on June 10, 1912.

He was born in 1883 with a father Carlo and sister Giana (though immig. record says Ghiana- don't think Italian allows for soft g when combined with h so hence my presumed spelling of Giana). She was born in 1890 according to each's ages given on the immigration records.

They arrived in NYC, but lived in West Medford, MA, USA.

I'm looking to find out our ancestry beyond and including them along with any possible living relatives still in Italy.

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the lengthy post.
JamesBianco
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

You should contact Cathy from this forum (Cathynap), her grandmother was a Maiuolo from Cortale.

Her website:

Click here---> Family from Cortale

jpeledge
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

Thanks, man. Sent one to "Cathy," hopefully the same person as I couldn't find a Cathynap registered name.
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

jpeledge wrote:
:?: I'm hoping to get some help on finding information about my great-grandparents and relative ancestors. My great-grandfather's name was Antonio Pileggi (changed to Peledge in the States) while my great-grandmother's name was Domenica Maiuolo (sometimes written as Maiolo here). They both born in, resided in, and married in Cortale, Italy though my great-grandfather's immigration note said Castale upon his first arrival on Jan. 24, 1900. He went back to Italy, got married, and came back with my great-grandmother on June 10, 1912.

He was born in 1883 with a father Carlo and sister Giana (though immig. record says Ghiana- don't think Italian allows for soft g when combined with h so hence my presumed spelling of Giana). She was born in 1890 according to each's ages given on the immigration records.

They arrived in NYC, but lived in West Medford, MA, USA.

I'm looking to find out our ancestry beyond and including them along with any possible living relatives still in Italy.

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the lengthy post.
Welcome to Gente! As Jim said, my grandmother was a Maiuolo and I would imagine she knew your great grandmother since Cortale is very small and they were born around the same time.
Researching families in Cortale can be difficult because access to the Italian records is cut off around 1865. I have tried emailing and writing Cortale for records such as my grandmother's birth act and her parent's marriage act and have never received a response. Many people have emailed me and they have never received responses either. You can try to email Cortale to obtain their marriage act or birth acts at demo @ comunecortale.it or write the comune at:
Comune di Cortale
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Cortale (CZ)
Italy
Write your request in English and post it on the translation board and someone can translate it to Italian for you.
We will need their parents names to go back further. You said Antonio's father was Carlo. Do you know his mother's name? Their death records may list that information. Do you have their death records? Did Domenica die in Boston? I found this on Ancestry:
Name: Domenica Peledge
Certificate: 041645
Death Place: Boston
Death Date: 27 Aug 1973

Assuming they died in Massachusetts, you can go here to order a copy of their death records (the link is at the bottom) or search the other resources on that page.
If you can get their parent's names it is possible I can search the microfilms of Cortale to go back further into your ancestry. I have most of the Cortale microfilms.

BTW, I noticed their 1920 census record shows Domenica's brother Tony "Maiuole" living with them.
If you need help, we are here.

jpeledge
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

Thank you very much, Cathy, for all the extra work. How do you get census records prior to 1930? I can't seem to find those.

Everything you sent me matches up and I spoke with my father to certify the names and who was living there at the time. The most interesting note is that neither of us ever knew my grandfather's name was Carlo. He was always known as Carl. We knew my great-grandfather Americanized his name by referring to himself as Tony Peledge rather than Antonio Pileggi, but this is remarkable.

My best friend is also Italian and his sister can do some translating for me. I'm going to see if relatives of his still in Italy can do some in-person work for me, but if not, I'll get back to you about Cortale Microfilm.

Would the Massachusetts State Archives in Boston hold birth and death records for me to find parent names of my great-grandparents?

Again, thank you so much. This has been a long search and I'm glad to have found this site!

Jay
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

Hi Jay..Could this be your Carlo? His wife's name looks like it could have been Nunziata - or Nancy for short.

1920 United States Federal Census
about Minjiata Peledge
Name: Minjiata Peledge
Home in 1920: Medford Ward 6, Middlesex, Massachusetts
Estimated birth year: abt 1852
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Spouse's name: Caro
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Female
Year of Immigration: 1898
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Image: 256
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Caro Peledge 68
Minjiata Peledge 68
---------------------

1920 United States Federal Census
about Caro Peledge
Name: Caro Peledge
Home in 1920: Medford Ward 6, Middlesex, Massachusetts
Estimated birth year: abt 1852
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's name: Minjiata
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Male
Home owned: Own
Year of Immigration: 1898
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Image: 255
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Caro Peledge 68
Minjiata Peledge 68

Calabria Exchange
jpeledge
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

It could be. The only Peledge's in Medford, MA then and now are relatives of ours.

Where were you able to locate this info? What street were they listed as living on? Ward 6 sounds familiar as that is in West Medford where my grandfather grew up.

Thank you for the help and I look forward to any other directions/info you can give!!!

Jay
JamesBianco
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

If you need Birth Marriage or Death records for Massachusetts before 1916, I can do look ups and post the record here.

Jim

Last edited by JamesBianco on Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
jpeledge
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

Thanks, Jim. I know my grandfather, Carl (or Carlo) Peledge was born in 1914. I don't think anyone else in my family would have been born or died here as my great-grandparents came together in 1912.

Thanks for the help!
Jay
JamesBianco
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

I did find Carlo's birth.. February 15, 1913

Here is the image: (click below .. line 91)

Carlo Peledge Birth 1913

Jim

Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

jpeledge wrote:
Thank you very much, Cathy, for all the extra work. How do you get census records prior to 1930? I can't seem to find those.

Everything you sent me matches up and I spoke with my father to certify the names and who was living there at the time. The most interesting note is that neither of us ever knew my grandfather's name was Carlo. He was always known as Carl. We knew my great-grandfather Americanized his name by referring to himself as Tony Peledge rather than Antonio Pileggi, but this is remarkable.

My best friend is also Italian and his sister can do some translating for me. I'm going to see if relatives of his still in Italy can do some in-person work for me, but if not, I'll get back to you about Cortale Microfilm.

Would the Massachusetts State Archives in Boston hold birth and death records for me to find parent names of my great-grandparents?

Again, thank you so much. This has been a long search and I'm glad to have found this site!

Jay
I have your family censuses and other records I found on my computer at home (I am at work now). I will post them tonight for you. I would assume the state archives would have the death records of your family. That sight I posted had archives on them that allow you to order the records online and you can access them immediately I believe. I would be interested to see if your Domenica and my Caterina were cousins!

BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

jpeledge wrote:
:?: I'm hoping to get some help on finding information about my great-grandparents and relative ancestors.

... with a father Carlo and sister Giana (though immig. record says Ghiana- don't think Italian allows for soft g when combined with h so hence my presumed spelling of Giana). She was born in 1890 according to each's ages given on the immigration records.

I took a look at the manifest and the sisters name is Chiara which was a common name for females.

Mangiardi, Tedeschi/Tedesco, Zangari, Coda, DeFrancesco, Ierulli, Bava, Daniele, Valente
jpeledge
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

Thank you all! I can't believe this site exists! You have all been so helpful and generous...I can't thank you enough for connecting me to a past I never thought I'd find.

Thank you!
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

Here are some records I found for what I believe is your family:
Antonio's WWI Draft Registration
1910 Census of Carlo, Annie & Antonio

I noticed on the censuses and the WWI Draft Registration Tony had his own business as a fruit vendor.

Carl's WWII Draft Registration information:
Name: Carl S Peledge
Birth Year: 1913
Race: White, citizen (White)
Nativity State or Country: Massachusetts
State of Residence: Massachusetts
County or City: Middlesex

Enlistment Date: 11 Nov 1942
Enlistment State: Massachusetts
Enlistment City: Boston
Branch: Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA
Branch Code: Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA
Grade Code: Private
Term of Enlistment: Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law
Component: Selectees (Enlisted Men)
Source: Civil Life

Education: 1 year of college
Civil Occupation: Salespersons
Marital Status: Single, without dependents
Height: 66
Weight: 156

Carlo is old enough where I will be able to obtain his birth act to see who his parents were and once I have their names and ages I should be able to find their marriage record to find their parents names. Just let me know if you would like me to find that for you. I need more information on the Maiuolo's to look for their Cortale records.

jpeledge
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

Thank you again, Cathy! This is great! I am happy and enthusiastic to receive any info you can provide and feel deeply indebted to you and the great people of this community for the eye-opening experience this has been for me to find so much info about a family I barely had any relic of before all of you.

That info does check out in terms of the names, the street, the fact that they were fruit vendors as my great-grandfather's business "Tony Peledge and Sons" was in Medford, MA for over 50 years beginning in 1900 when he first arrived.

I'm having trouble on the National Archives site verifying his father Carlo's arrival along with his wife and step-son, Frank Carell, in 1895. Regardless, if you know more, I'm happy to read on!

Regarding the Maiuolo's, my great-grandmother had a brother Francesco who was a priest/bishop/monsiegnor at various points, even opening an orphanage for boys in 1953-4 called Casa di Carita or S. Tarcisio (both names are on a card I have). The orphanage was in Nicastro somewhere though I don't have a more specific locations. I haven't been able to find info on the web about the orphange if it still exists so nothing more really on him to report to help.

Again, thank you to all in this community for the wonderful assistance, generosity, and breadth of info.

Jay
  Page 1 of 5All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: