No staff members are online!
Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

Muscatello
Last post by jnmlasater in Southern Italy on Sep 26, 2017 at 02:09:32

Ambrogio Bianchi Birth Certificate - Rome/Ferentino
Last post by Italysearcher in Where do I begin? on Sep 25, 2017 at 18:47:29

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by Italysearcher in Where do I begin? on Sep 24, 2017 at 18:25:31

Bastianelli Sant Elia Fiumerapido or Altina
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Sep 23, 2017 at 18:29:38

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by liviomoreno in Southern Italy on Sep 23, 2017 at 05:52:40

RESEACHING LUCIA NAPOLI DELIANOUVA
Last post by nuccia in Where do I begin? on Sep 22, 2017 at 06:13:48

Surname Serafini from Barga
Last post by Libby in Northern Italy on Sep 04, 2017 at 03:47:22

Sant'Elia Fiumerapido - De Filippis
Last post by Marchpatty in Central Italy on Aug 24, 2017 at 23:45:06

PUGLIESE OR VALEO
Last post by Biff83 in Central Italy on Aug 05, 2017 at 20:14:08

PUGLIESE OR VALEO
Last post by Biff83 in Southern Italy on Aug 05, 2017 at 20:13:41

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › NARA records for the Northeast Region

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
NARA records for the Northeast Region

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lotus45tiye
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: NARA records for the Northeast Region Reply with quote

Hello everyone; I need your help again. I have been reviewing my records on my Grandfather Matteo Bernarducci. After studying his ship manifest through Castle Garden I discovered that not only did he come over on the ship Sempione arriving July 9, 1900, but three others also sailed. The three others are Donato Bennaducci, Pasquale Bennaducci and Domenico Bernaducci, all comming from Trentinara, all around 24/25 year of age and all going to either Baxter or Columbus Streets in Little Italy, NY. I have Matteo's naturalization documents verifying that he arrived 7/9/1900 and the names and addresses of the relatives that all four men have listed are my relatives, namely Biagio Accarino and the Vernaglia Family. Also my Great Grandfather Vincenzo, Matteo's father, used the surname Bennarducci on occasion. Domenico or Pasquale are not familiar to me, but Matteo did have a brother named Donato.

I would like to obtain the original manifests but have never utilized the NARA facilities. Is it difficult to obtain these records? What info is listed? Not sure if it is worth the time and expense. What do you all think? Thanks Carol

charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: NARA records for the Northeast Region Reply with quote

I am pretty sure that you should be able to download them from Ancestry.com (depending on the year of arrival).....you were also able to download the manifests from Ellis Island but they may have disabled that function (not sure as I have not used that site for a while)......I have been to the NARA facility in Philadelphia and they only had microfilm for any of the records that I needed.....nothing was available electronically (last visit was a few years back)

Researching: Corato, Provincia di Bari in Puglia e San Giorgio Albanese, Provincia di Cosenza in Calabria.
lotus45tiye
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: NARA records for the Northeast Region Reply with quote

Thanks Charlie: Forgot that there is a center in Philly. I don't mind going through Microfilm but thought I would have to go to NY. I have not found any Castle Garden manifests under Ancestry and Ellis Island records do not list these manifests either. Guess I am going to have to take a trip to PA. Does the LDS have the Castle Garden records? There is a good LDS center in Cherry Hill NJ.

charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: NARA records for the Northeast Region Reply with quote

I just tried to find Matteo and you can view the Manifest on the Ellis Island site but they disabled the save capability ---- you can buy a copy of the manifest from the website......are you sure that ancestry.com doesn't have this as well? I no longer have an ancestry subscription or I would have tried that for you as well. I am not sure if the FHC has all the microfilm available for manifests, but they would need a pretty big library to house all the film --- I don't think the FHC in Broomall, PA has them.

Researching: Corato, Provincia di Bari in Puglia e San Giorgio Albanese, Provincia di Cosenza in Calabria.
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: NARA records for the Northeast Region Reply with quote

Are these the people you are looking for Carol? If so, ancestry does have the manifests available for downloading.

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Donalo Bennaducci
Name: Donalo Bennaducci
Arrival Date: 9 Jul 1900
Estimated birth year: abt 1875
Port of Departure: Napoli
Ethnicity/Race-
/Nationality: Italian
Ship Name: Sempione
Search Ship Database: Search the Sempione in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 9
Microfilm Serial: 15
Microfilm Roll: T715_137
Page Number: 207

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Mattio Bennaducci
Name: Mattio Bennaducci
Arrival Date: 9 Jul 1900
Estimated birth year: abt 1876
Port of Departure: Napoli
Ethnicity/Race-
/Nationality: Italian
Ship Name: Sempione
Search Ship Database: Search the Sempione in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 8
Microfilm Serial: 15
Microfilm Roll: T715_137
Page Number: 207

I am going to email them to you...

Calabria Exchange
lotus45tiye
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: NARA records for the Northeast Region Reply with quote

Thank you Charlie and Nuccia, I found the manifest for Matteo and Donato on Ancestry under BENNA-ducci. I did not find the manifist for Domenico or Pasquale though. I will keep looking. Thanks again

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: NARA records for the Northeast Region Reply with quote

Hi Carole..

I just got back from the library and realized the following....

After reviewing everything a couple of times, I realized that Domenico and Pasquale were actually RENNA's. Castle Garden extracted the wrong last name. Just look at the passengers traveling with Matteo and Donato (lines 10 and 11). I did a search by the first 3 initials only and using the ship name, date and age only and guess who showed up - The Renna's. I also went page by page to confirm.

I'm sorry. Sad

Calabria Exchange
lotus45tiye
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: NARA records for the Northeast Region Reply with quote

Thanks Nuccia, I knew something was amiss with Castle Garden's records.

Oh well, guess I didn't find two new siblings! I have no info on any relatives with the surname Renna, but you never know!

I have not been able to find my great grandmother Rosa Manganelli/Manganello on any manifests, although I did find her husband Vincenzo Bernarducci. Rosa is buried in Jesey City and on census records from NY. Any thoughts on an alternative spelling of Manganelli/Manganello!

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: NARA records for the Northeast Region Reply with quote

Where is Rose from in Italy? Can you post the census records or tell me when she may have immigrated? What year was she born?

Calabria Exchange
lotus45tiye
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: NARA records for the Northeast Region Reply with quote

Hi Nuccia: Well am not sure where she is from, assuming Trentinara, Campania, Italy. We did not know her maiden name until I obtained the marriage license from NYC for my Grandfather Matteo. Cemetery records show her born 1868 and death as 2/5/1922. Her DC has her at 63 yrs of age, date of birth unknown, place of birth Italy, father's name as Angelo ManganIllo and mothers name unknown. She is on the 1910 census for the borough of Manhattan, Mulberry Street, 57 yrs old and arriving 1902, the same year as her husband Vincenzo. So far I have not found a manifest with Rosa. Vincenzo is listed on a manifest with his daughter-in-law Suela in 1902.

Page 1 of 1All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: