Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › General › Non-Italian Genealogy › Other family

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Other family
Looking for non-Italian records? Post your questions here.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Non-Italian Genealogy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina501
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Other family Reply with quote

Hey all. I have a dilemma. My mother's family is Arabic from Syria. Unfortunately, my grandparents were born in New York and don't recall anything about my great grandparents coming over. My dilemma is such: I have no way to get any help with this side. There are no Arabic forums, like our Italian forums that I know of. I have no way to network like I do here and at IG.

I have created a website like my Italian website and dropped it into my mother's email signature. She's retired and emails a billion people a day so I am hoping that somehow, somewhere, someone in the world sees it and contacts me. Gina's Arabic Family Tree

I have spoken to James Bianco about this as he is part Arabic too. Between us we can come up with nothing. I am wondering if anyone knows anything that might help me? Do you know of any sites or a better way of doing this? I would appreciate any and all answers.

Searching surnames -
Graziano, Trella, Del Principe (AQ)
Ignazio, Biani, Della Valle, Scarani (PC)

Poipu04
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Other family Reply with quote

Hi, Gina, this will probably be my last post until I return from paradise. Smile I would go to tripadvisor.com and check out the country you are interested in on their forums. There is usually a local expert and they may be able to hook you up. I did this on the Turkey board because I think one of my ggf's died there. The local expert was able to give me some information on the local Italian/Catholic churches in Istanbul.

Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Other family Reply with quote

Arabic - as in Saudi Arabia or a different country? Do you know anything else?

Gina501
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Other family Reply with quote

Yes. My mother's 4 grandparents were all born in Syria. My grandfathers parents came in 1901 and my grandmothers parents came in 1920. But I don't know where to go from there. How do I go about getting records? Who knows what went on in those places? I don't even know if they kept records before 1900.

Searching surnames -

ricbru
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Other family Reply with quote

Do you have any manifest ship about them? do you know if they ever naturalized as US citizens? Do you have any of their social security numbers? Death records? Anything......so we can see where they really cam from
ciao Riccardo

HELP ME to find the ship manifest of 1902 to USA, about my GGFather Francesco Paolo BRUNO from Trapani (1860/1938)
Gina501
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Other family Reply with quote

yes, I have their Ellis Island entries. They all naturalized and I have their SSN and death records. I know they all came from Aleppo. Don't know how to go about getting birth records so I can see their parents names and go back further.

Searching surnames -

Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Other family Reply with quote

Will any of these help?
Annual genealogical report, Form E, 1907-1951 Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Near East Mission
Annual genealogical report, Form E, 1907-1951 Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Norwegian Mission

Baptisms, marriages and burials at Aleppo, Syria from Levant Company's records, 1756-1800

Church records, 1843-1938 Armenian Apostolic Church (Aleppo, Syria)

Record of members, 1885-1909 Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Turkish Mission

Gina501
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Other family Reply with quote

Well, duh...... Sorry for being so silly Cathy. I guess I never thought to check the FHL. I guess I just figured that Syria wouldn't be there. So thanks for pointing out the obvious to me. Sometimes I swear I'm sleeping through life! That's a big help. I think I will finally get off my duff and order these films!

Searching surnames -

Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Other family Reply with quote

While you wait for those films, did you try any of these websites?
genealogytoday.com/family/syrian/
home.att.net/~lynnkz/dolan.html
www.genealogy-quest.co...aredo.html
There is a bit of information out there on the genealogy of Syrian Jews - were they Jewish?

Gina501
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Other family Reply with quote

No they were always Christians. Way back. Back as far as Christianity goes in Syria. If they were Jewish it would be easy to find them. There are good resources for Jews. But..... of course not.

Searching surnames -

Gina501
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Other family Reply with quote

Ok, I have tried Cathy's website suggestions, and Lori's suggestion, and even wrote to the Syrian Consulate which was Riccardo's suggestion. And NOTHING! I will get films from the FHC but that will take a few months. Does anyone have anything else I can go on for now? My mother thinks I am purposedly ignoring her side of the family... ( besides I still have a few unanswered questions from the 69 year old aunt that cussed me out!)

Searching surnames -

Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Other family Reply with quote

Do you know what religion they were?

MikeSavoca91
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Other family Reply with quote

I forgot about that aunt. Call her up again and if she won't help throw something at her neclord ! I still don't know how some people refuse to help. She must have something in her closet Shocked !
Gina501
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Other family Reply with quote

Yes, Cathy they were Catholic.

Yes, Mike and I know what's in her closet but I can't post that here!! By the way....where have you been?

Searching surnames -

MikeSavoca91
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Other family Reply with quote

Long, bummmmmmpy story Gina, I will get on skype by tomorrow (I SWEAR!) and we can all talk. I miss you. When am I going to see you or did the plans for this month change?

Page 1 of 2All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Non-Italian Genealogy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: