looking for manifest of Sabato Pizzano changed to Pisano
Last post by DaveFerro in Southern Italy on Jul 19, 2017 at 21:29:46

Looking for Vincenzo Contrera
Last post by Biff83 in Southern Italy on Jul 10, 2017 at 23:36:16

Locating info on my Italian cousin's death in WWII
Last post by charliemis in Southern Italy on Jul 09, 2017 at 04:06:05

Napolitano - Falzarano, Airola
Last post by goldfreaz in Southern Italy on Jun 15, 2017 at 01:29:50

How do we preserve our Genealogical research for the future?
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Jun 14, 2017 at 23:36:52

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › trying to trace my grandfather's birthplace in Italy

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
trying to trace my grandfather's birthplace in Italy

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jenny1945

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: trying to trace my grandfather's birthplace in Italy Reply with quote

Searching for information on the Romano family going back to Nicola P. Romano b. 10/5/1885 in southern Italy, married Filomena Muscatello. They settled in Rutland, VT.

Nicola's father was Gioacchino Romano b.1855, m. to Luisa Casila abt 1853, both died in New Hampshire. Gennaro Romano was Gioacchino's father. He married Margherita Gerardo. I have no dates for Gennaro or Margherita.

Any advice as to how to find documents such as baptisms, birth certificates from Italy would be appreciated.
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: trying to trace my grandfather's birthplace in Italy Reply with quote

Jenny1945,

Welcome to Gente!

Here is Nicola's WWII Draft Reg Card. Indicates birthplace is Naples. Napoli is both a town and a province in the region of Campania--so we've narrowed the search a little.

Biff

"You live as long as you are remembered." -- Russian proverb
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: trying to trace my grandfather's birthplace in Italy Reply with quote

Marriage record of Nicola's sister Pasqualina to Gerardo Enrico Ricci. Note mother's name here is Luigia Casale. Gerardo Ricci was the witness on Nicola's naturalization record.

Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: trying to trace my grandfather's birthplace in Italy Reply with quote

Sister Pasqualina's 1910 ship manifest coming back from a visit to Italy with daughter Maria Ricci. Last residence and place of birth Cervinara, province of Avellino, region of Campania. Line 27

interactive.ancestry.c...turnRecord

Biff

Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: trying to trace my grandfather's birthplace in Italy Reply with quote

I believe that this is the 1898 ship manifest for Luigia Casale and children Margherita, Michele, Nicola and Pasquale. Last residence Cervinara. Joining husband/father Gioachino. Line 6 and following.

In my searching, other names with Cervinara roots are Moscatiello and Ricci. It appears that many families from Cervinara emigrated to Rutland.

interactive.ancestry.c...turnRecord

Biff

jenny1945

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: trying to trace my grandfather's birthplace in Italy Reply with quote

Thank you! My maternal grandmother was Filomena Muscatello/Moscatello. Now I know why the Ricci family lived around the corner from us. Found a wonderful article about Italian men in 1914 coming together to form a group for the early immigrants. It's from the VT historical Society and my grandfather is mentioned. If this helps anyone, the site is:

www.rutlandhistory.com....32003.pdf

Do you have any advice on how to find birth records from that region of Italy?
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: trying to trace my grandfather's birthplace in Italy Reply with quote

You could request and view microfilms for Cervinara at a local Family History Center. These are civil not church records.

familysearch.org/searc...%20Library

Best place to start would be to order the birth records (Nati) for 1881-1890 and for 1850-1865. Assuming your birth years are correct for Nicola, his father Giaochino and mother Luigia Casale, this should verify Giaochino's parents (Gennaro and Margherita) and also show Luigia's parents. Information on these records should give you parents' ages from which you can calculate their approximate years of birth.

Since your Moscatiello side is also likely from Cervinara, if you can approximate their years of birth, you might find information on them on the above birth records or on another set.

Biff

jenny1945

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: trying to trace my grandfather's birthplace in Italy Reply with quote

Again, thank you, Biff. How in the world did you find Nicola Romano's Naturalization paper? I get so far, but nothing about the naturalization.

Does anyone know the Italian word for people (like Nicola) that helped newly arriving Italian immigrants adjust to their new location? My mother told me once, but I have forgotten.

Jane
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: trying to trace my grandfather's birthplace in Italy Reply with quote

I located his naturalization index card on Ancestry.

Last edited by Biff83 on Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
jenny1945

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: trying to trace my grandfather's birthplace in Italy Reply with quote

Biff,

At library and saw my mom's picture on your tree: Anunziata Helen Romano. b.Aug. 16, 1917 +-.Are you related? Am related to Lombardi in Manchester, VT through my mom's aunt, Dellarose (sp) Lombardy Grasso.
Filomena Muscatello, my grandmother, was her sister.

Jenny
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: trying to trace my grandfather's birthplace in Italy Reply with quote

Jenny,

Your mom, Annunziatia Helen Romano Garofano, is not in my tree. I'm not sure whose tree you found her on.

I believe Filomena's sister's name was Dolorosa.

Biff

jenny1945

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: trying to trace my grandfather's birthplace in Italy Reply with quote

Biff,
I misunderstood. Saw "NewYorker1118" at the top right and thought you had something to do with it. It said Lomabardi/y on the upper left, so amateur that I am thought you must know these people. Sorry. I am really floundering. How did you find Dolorosa's certificate? I have found some documents, but it takes me forever.

Jane
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: trying to trace my grandfather's birthplace in Italy Reply with quote

Jane

Everything I posted I found on Ancestry. Dolorosa's marriage record gives us some clues to her and Filomena's parents-Girinimo?? Moscatiello (Muscatiello) and Maria Taldero.

Try not to get frustrated. All of us have been where you currently are in your search. It gets easier as times goes on. So hang in there.

Have you started to compile a family tree on worksheets or using a program? You'll find it quite helpful as you continue your search.

I'm happy to help you in any way I can.

Biff

jenny1945

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: trying to trace my grandfather's birthplace in Italy Reply with quote

Biff,

Thanks for the kind words. I just got Family Tree Maker, but need to find out how to use it without making a mess. I have a lot of information in my shoebox and saved in other places that my husband will have to find for me. Wonder if I can take out those people that are not related and merge the ones that are.

If I started on paper, how would I list the information I have? Guess I am getting caught up in all the different formats I see and need to keep it simple for now. Just the facts, as Jack Webb said on Dragnet. I am dating myself! What format would you suggest?

I stumbled onto a relative's site on my paternal grandmother's side that goes back to the 1500s. The person contacted me and welcomed me "back" into the family. The name was Shorkey/Sharkey and many other spellings, but it came down from Canada where it was Chartier. Michael Chartier has a wonderful site, but I am overwhelmed. Will keep the massive amount of info saved for now.

You genealogists are such considerate people. Thanks again.

Jane
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: trying to trace my grandfather's birthplace in Italy Reply with quote

Jane,

There are a number of types of Family Group Worksheets you can use. I've given you a link to one below. You might want to use these to compile your various families. Enter the information that you currently know. You can go back and add information/details you find later. When entering birthplace and death information, use city, county, state, country--i.e. Manchester,
Bennington, Vermont, USA--or for Italy city/town, province, region, country--Cervinara, Avellino, Campania, Italy. For relatives born in Italy I would use their Italian first names, not their Anglicized equivalents--i.e. Nicola not Nicholas, Filomena not Philomena--the diphthong "ph" does not exist in Italian f is used instead--another example of Filippo not Philippo. I would also use their Italian surnames before they were changed in the US--ie, Moscatiello. I believe that Moscatiello is the correct surname.

Once you've done the above, you can then enter the information on Family Tree Maker. I believe you can compile multiple trees with the program you could start with "Jane Family Tree #1". If you do make a total mess of this tree, you can go back and do another.

A word of caution about grafting information from other folks trees. If their trees are not documented with legitimate sources, be very careful about adding their information to your tree until you can check and document it yourself.

I can help you with your Italian side and if you're married and your husband is Italian with his side also. As I mentioned before Cervinara records are available on microfilm and you can also write to the comune (town) directly. I'd be happy to help write the letter to the records office. I'm not fluent in Italian but have an adequate knowledge to write for documents and translate Italian birth, marriage and death records.

Any questions, do not hesitate to ask.

www.familytreemagazine...ygroup.pdf

Best Regards,
Biff (John Bifano)

Page 1 of 2All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: