75: Community Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

Napolitano - Falzarano, Airola
Last post by goldfreaz in Southern Italy on Jun 15, 2017 at 01:29:50

How do we preserve our Genealogical research for the future?
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Jun 14, 2017 at 23:36:52

Maria Perri
Last post by MikeBarbato in Southern Italy on Jun 14, 2017 at 16:57:18

Lanni Family Sant Elia FR
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on May 31, 2017 at 10:03:19

Vuozzo Surname
Last post by Biff83 in About Us on Apr 29, 2017 at 19:15:44

Translate Do(edited)ent
Last post by Italysearcher in Translations on Apr 17, 2017 at 16:08:33

Ghio in Portovenere
Last post by Marko in Southern Italy on Mar 14, 2017 at 17:31:06

Birth Record for GGF and GGM
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Mar 12, 2017 at 21:49:52

Calabria Record
Last post by JoeBlack36 in Southern Italy on Mar 11, 2017 at 15:53:00

Cassivi from Ragusa
Last post by Italysearcher in Southern Italy on Feb 28, 2017 at 16:54:25

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › GGF Birth Certificate from Valledolmo

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
GGF Birth Certificate from Valledolmo

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sicily

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: GGF Birth Certificate from Valledolmo Reply with quote

I hope someone on this board can give me some information. I have been trying to obtain my ggf birth certificate from the Commune of Valledolmo in Sicily. Today I received a letter from them saying they cannot find a record for him.

His name is Calogero Conti and he was born on or near February 18, 1884. Can anyone make any suggestions on how I could obtain this record. I am trying to apply for dual citizenship and need this document.
Poipu04
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: GGF Birth Certificate from Valledolmo Reply with quote

With my ggf, I was off by a year with his birthdate and they responded no record was found. I got the birthdate off of his death record. The information was supplied by his son, so I thought it would be accurate. I instead turned to the age of my ggf at the birth of my gf and did the math. I resent the request and they found it. Have you tried other routes to see if the birth year could be something else, such as checking his manifest for a birth year, birth acts of his children, wedding certificate, etc. ? Right now, I am assuming that the comune is correct. Also, there are LDS microfilms of your town. www.familysearch.org/E...umns=*,0,0
You can always look through them yourself and when you find the one on microfilm, write to the comune for the official copy. The other thing you can do is hire someone to find it for you. Riccardo on this board does this sort of work.

Sicily

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: GGF Birth Certificate from Valledolmo Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply. I will try the microfilm; I did not know about those. I had the commune search 1881 to 1889; I have 1884 as the birth year on several document, including his application for naturalization. I also have a death certificate that has 1885, that is why I requested they search the range of 1881 to 1889.

I will check out the microfilms and if I cannot find it, I will try to contact Ricardo.

Thank you very much.
Sicily

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: GGF Birth Certificate from Valledolmo Reply with quote

One more thing about the microfilms. From looking at the link am I right to assume I have to order the microfilm? Or do I need to go somewhere to look at them? I have never used the Family History Center before.
Poipu04
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: GGF Birth Certificate from Valledolmo Reply with quote

Go to www.familysearch.org and locate your local Family History Library. It probably will be in a Mormon church but they let the public use their library. You have to order the film at the library (no phone orders). Then a few weeks later, you return to search the microfilm at the center. Here is a link to the Family History Center's guide for doing Italian research. It could be useful: www.familysearch.org/E...cestor.asp

Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: GGF Birth Certificate from Valledolmo Reply with quote

Order microfilm number 2014640. This microfilm contains birth records from 1864-1885. If you are lucky, each year will have an index of all names of babies born for each year. Good luck.

Sicily

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: GGF Birth Certificate from Valledolmo Reply with quote

Thanks, I have been trying to contact the closest FHC to determine their hours, so I can order the microfilm. I have been calling for 3 days with no success. I will let you know what I find.

Thanks again.
charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: GGF Birth Certificate from Valledolmo Reply with quote

the FHC Libraries are staffed by volunteers from the LDS Church --- sometimes with only a skeleton crew depending upon their pool of volunteers --- my local FHC is open 4 days per week (but I live in a major metro area) ---- mornings (9:00 -- 1:30) and evenings (7:00-9:00) to give an idea ---- open T-W-T-Sa

Researching: Corato, Provincia di Bari e San Giorgio Albanese, Provincia di Cosenza
Sicily

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: GGF Birth Certificate from Valledolmo Reply with quote

Just wanted to let you guys know that I finally made contact with the FHC and will be going there on Saturday to order the micro film I need.

Thanks Very Happy
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: GGF Birth Certificate from Valledolmo Reply with quote

Great! If you need help once you get them, remember us. Most of us have either been through the microfilms or ordered the actual records.

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: GGF Birth Certificate from Valledolmo Reply with quote

Thanks for getting back to us and letting us know how you're progressing. Cathy's right..let us know if you need a hand with anything, and continue to update us, ok!

Calabria Exchange
Sicily

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: GGF Birth Certificate from Valledolmo Reply with quote

Just an update. I went to the FHC but they were closed; even though the very nice lady assured me they would be opened. I will now have to wait until the first weekend in January and try again.

Thanks for everything
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: GGF Birth Certificate from Valledolmo Reply with quote

I just got an email from mine today that they decided to close for the day due to the expected bad weather...and I was going to go up, too.

Mine will be closed for the one week between Christmas and New Years. Now, did you already order your films before they closed or do you still need to do this? I hope you haven't otherwise, your time to view them will be up since the FHC is closed and you would have to pay to renew them.

Calabria Exchange
ricbru
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: GGF Birth Certificate from Valledolmo Reply with quote

I also suggest you to contact Archivio di Stato di Palermo in order to request his lista di leva (military draft card).
This is the address of Archivio di Stato di Palermo

Archivio di Stato di Palermo
Vicolo della salvezza 3
90133 Palermo
Tel 091/6163093 Fax 091/6172399
e.mail: as-pa @ beniculturali.it

Write only in Italian and try to give as many info as possible.
I hope it helps
Riccardo

HELP ME to find the ship manifest of 1902 to USA, about my GGFather Francesco Paolo BRUNO from Trapani (1860/1938)
Sicily

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: GGF Birth Certificate from Valledolmo Reply with quote

Thank you for the suggestion Riccardo. I will write to them. Maybe that will help, if I cannot obtain a birth certificate.

Thanks again.
  Page 1 of 2All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: