Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › All Things Italian › Translations › Cache of letters

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Cache of letters
For help with translating documents or writing letters.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Translations Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjbrn
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache of letters Reply with quote

No problem. I'm not in any rush. I was actually attempting to add a link to my blog beneath my signature when I managed to post the same images twice. I didn't see any parameters for doing that.

Scribbling
Carole
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache of letters Reply with quote

Tom - Here are Pages 1 & 2

I haven't time just at the moment for the others...Livio is away for seven days, but maybe Luca can help. If not - I'll get back to 3 & 4 later - OK?

Page 1.
Belmonte Mezzagno 27 November 1935

My loving brother it is with much delay I have received one of your awaited letters in which it pleases me to read that you are in good health, together with your dear wife and your loving children, as indeed the family of your mother-in-law and the whole family. As how can I tell you am I and my wife and dear children and all the family, beloved brother, I have written to you with a bit of a delay, I've been missing for 10 days chopping wood in the country and sowing wheat, further away from Pizza xxxxxx.....

Page 2.
... than you would imagine, dearest brother you cannot know what thoughts I have had in my heart thinking of your lateness and I didn't have other to think, and I said perhaps my brother is complaing about some words I have said, but pay no attention, it is enough that you are well dear brother. Regarding the children I have understood that you have six children and they are 3 males and 3 females, and another is on the way, dear brother God wishes it this way even my wife has had many children 4 females and only one male and it will be Stefano and another it will be days and moments, I am content that your children go to school, as my children have done their school, Loving brother...

Researching: EDMED, SAVILL, TYSON, NEWCOMBE, STAPLETON, GUNTER, STAPLES
If you think education is expensive -try ignorance!

>Expats in Italy<
Come and join 'Dork and Friends'! >New Blog<

Last edited by Carole on Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total
tjbrn
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache of letters Reply with quote

Absolutely, Carole. I really am not in any rush. By the way your Bangers and Mash dish reminded me of one of my favorite episodes on a show based on the Harriot books, All Creatures.

Scribbling
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache of letters Reply with quote

Tom,

DO you need help adding your blog to your signature? I can help there.

Calabria Exchange
tjbrn
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache of letters Reply with quote

OK. I didn't know how the site interpreted the link info.

Scribbling
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache of letters Reply with quote

OK Tom..your blog has now been entered as part of your signature!

Hugs! kiss

Calabria Exchange
Luca
Translator
Translator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache of letters Reply with quote

tjbrn wrote:

27 Nov 1935

Page3
img210.imageshack.us/i...ge3wx7.jpg

(from page 2): non ti posso...
(page 3)... mandare qualche fotografia mia o dei miei figli per farteli conoscere, caro fratello, perché Dio vuole così, che non si riesce più a campare e non c'è nemmeno lavoro; amato fratello, tu mi dici che non mi puoi mandare qualche xxx xxx perché anche il lavoro dei campi va male, caro fratello: non importa, basta che Dio ci dia sempre la salute. Non puoi sapere quale gioia e piacere ho avuto nel vedere la fotografia di tuo figlio che è venuto molto bene; desidero sapere come si chiama questo mio caro nipote a cui mando un saluto e un pensiero affettuoso ed anche un bacio di cuore, anche se non lo conosco, dallo zio Tano Dragotta. Addio, addio buone cose il tuo zio che non ti dimentica Tano.

Luca
tjbrn
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache of letters Reply with quote

Lucca,
Is Terni near Valle San Giovanni?

Scribbling
tjbrn
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache of letters Reply with quote

oops, I meant Luca. Embarassed

Scribbling
Carole
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache of letters Reply with quote

Luca wrote:
tjbrn wrote:

27 Nov 1935

Page3
img210.imageshack.us/i...ge3wx7.jpg

(from page 2):
...non ti posso...

(page 3)... mandare qualche fotografia mia o dei miei figli per farteli conoscere, caro fratello, perché Dio vuole così, che non si riesce più a campare e non c'è nemmeno lavoro; amato fratello, tu mi dici che non mi puoi mandare qualche xxx xxx perché anche il lavoro dei campi va male, caro fratello: non importa, basta che Dio ci dia sempre la salute. Non puoi sapere quale gioia e piacere ho avuto nel vedere la fotografia di tuo figlio che è venuto molto bene; desidero sapere come si chiama questo mio caro nipote a cui mando un saluto e un pensiero affettuoso ed anche un bacio di cuore, anche se non lo conosco, dallo zio Tano Dragotta. Addio, addio buone cose il tuo zio che non ti dimentica Tano.

Luca

From Luca's transcription:

from Page 2
....I cannot

Page 3
...send some of my photographs or of my children to let you know them, dear brother because God wishes it like this, that we cannot manage to make a living any more and there is no work; loved brother, you say to me that you cannot send me any little xxxxxx because even the work in the fields is not good, dear brother: it's not important, it's enough that God always give us our health. You cannot know what joy and pleasure I had when I saw the photograph of your son that came out really well; I would like to know what this dear nephew is called, to who I send my wishes and an affectionate thought and also a heartfelt kiss, even if I don't know him, fro uncle Tano Dragotta.
Goodbye, goodbye good things your uncle who will not forget you Tano

Researching: EDMED, SAVILL, TYSON, NEWCOMBE, STAPLETON, GUNTER, STAPLES
If you think education is expensive -try ignorance!

>Expats in Italy<
Come and join 'Dork and Friends'! >New Blog<

Last edited by Carole on Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Luca
Translator
Translator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache of letters Reply with quote

tjbrn wrote:
Luca,
Is Terni near Valle San Giovanni?

Do you mean Valle San Giovanni near Teramo, or Villa San Giovanni near Reggio Calabria? Or same other place?
Luca
Translator
Translator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache of letters Reply with quote

tjbrn wrote:

27 Nov 1935
Page4
img89.imageshack.us/im...ge4um8.jpg

Amata cognata Giuseppina un saluto e un pensiero da tutta la famiglia, e un saluto da vostra sorella Carmela, il marito e i suoi figli che vi baciano le mani e ci domandano le xxx a vostra suocera. I miei figli mandano un bacio ai loro cugini. Noi tutti salutiamo la tua famiglia, te e mio fratello Ignazio, e vi bacio di cuore il vostro caro cognato Tano Dragotta.
Addio, Addio buone cose e mandateci sempre vostre notizie due volte al mese, cara cognata; mi sono ricordato di questo vostro figlio che si chiama Stefano e ha 19 anni: non potete sapere che piacere abbiamo avuto, sembrava [forse si riferiscono ad una fotografia di Stefano spedita loro dagli Stati Uniti] di vedere mio fratello Ignazio.
Amato fratello sono desideroso di vederti; ti saluto, il tuo amato fratello che sempre ti pensa.

Per Carole
Forse potresti spiegare a Tom l'uso del voi a posto del tu in segno di rispetto che si usa ancora oggi in alcune zone d'Italia (anche se in queste lettere, a causa della non perfetta padronanza della lingua, Tano li alterna senza regola).
Ciao
Luca
tjbrn
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache of letters Reply with quote

Valle San Giovanni. One of my aunts was a Parente and she and her family emigrated from there. Many who who came from Valle San Giovanni settled in Penns Grove, NJ, which is only about 12 miles from where I was born. In fact Valle San Giovanni's web site has a link to Penns Grove.

Scribbling
tjbrn
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache of letters Reply with quote

Luca,
I appreciate all of your efforts. I realize how poorly written these letters are which is one reason, armed only with a dictionary, I stumble on anything beyond the general sense of what is written. I am woefully ignorant of what educational opportunities were available for someone like Tano at that time. Most of what is written reflects the sense of confusion, abandonment, and desperation one may be haunted by when one's living becomes marginal and survival itself is questionable. The next letter is a bit different and refers to a rather tragic event I only recently became aware of. Even Dante would have a time with dear old Tano Very Happy

Scribbling
Luca
Translator
Translator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Cache of letters Reply with quote

Valle S. Giovanni is about 80 Km. from my town, but I never visited it. I just read the articles on Valle San Giovanni-Penns Grove: very interesting and able to show us how difficult had to be immigrant's life, how much nostalgia was in their heart.
I'm waiting for the next!
Ciao
Luca
  Page 7 of 17All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Translations Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: