Request for extracts ignored by L'ufficio di Stato Civile
Last post by charliemis in Southern Italy on Oct 23, 2017 at 11:38:43

Ambrogio Bianchi Birth Certificate - Rome/Ferentino
Last post by debbiemfit in Where do I begin? on Oct 14, 2017 at 15:28:01

Cardano al Campo, Italy
Last post by Seabreezes1 in Northern Italy on Oct 13, 2017 at 21:58:14

Muscatello
Last post by Biff83 in Southern Italy on Oct 11, 2017 at 15:22:57

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by PrimoMattino in Southern Italy on Oct 03, 2017 at 17:32:46

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by Italysearcher in Where do I begin? on Sep 24, 2017 at 18:25:31

Bastianelli Sant Elia Fiumerapido or Altina
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Sep 23, 2017 at 18:29:38

RESEACHING LUCIA NAPOLI DELIANOUVA
Last post by nuccia in Where do I begin? on Sep 22, 2017 at 06:13:48

Surname Serafini from Barga
Last post by Libby in Northern Italy on Sep 04, 2017 at 03:47:22

Sant'Elia Fiumerapido - De Filippis
Last post by Marchpatty in Central Italy on Aug 24, 2017 at 23:45:06

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › Mesiti - Grotteria

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Mesiti - Grotteria

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ermesiti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Mesiti - Grotteria Reply with quote

Cerco notizie sui miei avi.
Carole
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Mesiti - Grotteria Reply with quote

Hello ermesiti and welcome to our "Gente" family.

I'm sure that our people here would love to help you in your research so can you tell us a little more about your anscestors.

Sarà molto piu facile dare una mano di rintriacciarli se sappiamo da quale parte d'Italia vengono, e come si chiamavono. Se lei può darci qualche indizio.....

Researching: EDMED, SAVILL, TYSON, NEWCOMBE, STAPLETON, GUNTER, STAPLES
If you think education is expensive -try ignorance!

>Expats in Italy<
Come and join 'Dork and Friends'! >New Blog<
BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Mesiti - Grotteria Reply with quote

Ciao ermesiti. Benvenuto

Mangiardi, Tedeschi/Tedesco, Zangari, Coda, DeFrancesco, Ierulli, Bava, Daniele, Valente
mjmesiti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Mesiti - Grotteria Reply with quote

Hello, I am also looking for information (or at least were to begin looking).

The following info I have on my great-grandfather.

Vincenzo MESITI
B 11 Nov 1873
D 29 Apr 1954, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Wife: Clementina
Immigration: ship "Haverford" via Liverpool England, arr. March 7 1906 to the port of Philadelphia; Last Residence: San Donato (di Ninea??? Northern Calabria)

Any advice? Thanks.
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Mesiti - Grotteria Reply with quote

Hi and Welcome to the group. San Donato di Ninea is in Cosenza but the Mesiti surname is most common in Reggio Calabria. You could try the Cosenza Archives though but I am not sure it would help.

You may also want to use this to see where the name is the most common now - Surname Distribution

And of course, the Italian White Pages

I looked quickly for your ancestor but other than the manifest I was unable to find anything else - oh, but he did make another trip prior to the one you linked. I will check again once I get home from work and see if I can locate anything else for you.

Calabria Exchange
mjmesiti

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Mesiti - Grotteria Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the help. Oh, I posted the arrival date to Phila incorrectly. I meant 22 Mar 1906 . You mentioned that he arrived at another time prior? I took at look at the manifest; and in the column "Whether ever before in the United States..." and he reported "No". I am not 100% sure if this is my ancestor, but the birth year is correct, as well as the point of destination (Phila). I am also not sure of the origin, since only "San Donato" is in the manifest. There are many towns with that name - I wonder which one was considered most popular around that time. The manifest also says that he was coming to meet his brother-in-law "Dominico Miraglia". I did find some info on him, but nothing that would tell me how he is linked to my family. Thanks again for any info you can help me with. This is a very exciting project form me. I wish my family kept better records. Even ancestry.com has very little information - it seems that after he arrived, the only other piece of info on him was a WWI draft filing. I am sure that is him, since it mentions his wife "Clementina" and I do have a marriage certificate for my grandparents that has both my grandfathers parents names written in (as Vincent and Clementine). There are no census records, or anything - even up to his death in 1954.
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Mesiti - Grotteria Reply with quote

In the title of your post it says Grotteria so --- have you tried viewing the microfilms for the birth year for that time frame or writing to Grotteria for the record? That would give you his parents names if he was born there. I would try that route. And you're right - he had never been in the USA before. I looked at the wrong line on the manifest -sorry!

Calabria Exchange
mjmesiti

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Mesiti - Grotteria, RC or San Donato, Cosenza Reply with quote

I hit a breakthrough today. I stumbled upon a marriage certificate record for the Philadelphia area - Alfonso Longo married to Rosa C. Mesiti in the year 1909. I found 1910, 20 & 30 Phila census info on the family and the wife is always as Catherine (or a variation) which matches her middle initial and the year they were married of 1909. The connection: My gr gr grandfather Vincenzo Mesiti (mentioned above) was buried in a grave plot owned by Alphonso and Catherine Longo. Rosa Caterina (Catherine) Longo-Mesiti is either my gr gr grandfather's cousin, niece or sister. She was 17 years younger in age. Being that they were buried all on the same plot, they must have been close.

I found Rosa Mesiti immigration ship manifest (1909 - same year she was married), along with info stating her final destination of Philadelphia PA. Only thing, the ship manifest differs by stating Rosa is 22 years old - the info I have from gravesite, census and marriage records state that she should be 19 in 1909. I would guess she lied about her birth year on arrival?

Finally, the manifest also states her father's name is Giuseppe? MESITI from S. Donato, Cosenza. Same native town mentioned in the ship manifest for Vincenzo Mesiti, my gr gr grandfather.

So everything I have found so far seems to be pointing to San Donato in Cosenza. If that is where my ancestors are from, how would I get records from such a small town? Who would I be able to contact?

Thank you again, so much.
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Mesiti - Grotteria Reply with quote

Well you could try writing a letter requesting the documents you want here:

Comune di San Donato Ninea
Ufficio Segretario
Via Xxiv Maggio, 1
87010 San Donato di Ninea (CS)
Italy
0981 63361

You can write your request here in English and someone can translate it for you or you can use one of the form letters available on line at various websites. If you need a link, let us know.

Calabria Exchange
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Mesiti - Grotteria, RC or San Donato, Cosenza Reply with quote

mjmesiti wrote:
I found Rosa Mesiti immigration ship manifest (1909 - same year she was married), along with info stating her final destination of Philadelphia PA. Only thing, the ship manifest differs by stating Rosa is 22 years old - the info I have from gravesite, census and marriage records state that she should be 19 in 1909. I would guess she lied about her birth year on arrival?

Finally, the manifest also states her father's name is Giuseppe? MESITI from S. Donato, Cosenza. Same native town mentioned in the ship manifest for Vincenzo Mesiti, my gr gr grandfather.

Page 1:
www.ellisisland.org/EI...;line=0004

Second page of the above manifest states she is joining her brother Vincenzo in Philadelphia and gives her birth place as Grotteria
www.ellisisland.org/EI...;line=0004

Biff

"You live as long as you are remembered." -- Russian proverb
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Mesiti - Grotteria Reply with quote

1910 census

Page 1
img39.imageshack.us/im...ti1910.jpg

Page 2
img20.imageshack.us/im...i19102.jpg

Name: Vincenzo Misitto
Age in 1910: 35
Estimated birth year: abt 1875
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Spouse's name: Clementa
Home in 1910: Philadelphia Ward 2, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Year of Immigration: 1905
Household Members: Name Age
Vincenzo Misitto 35
Clementa Misitto 27, 4 children, 3 living
Saverio Misitto, son, born Italy, 7
Maria Misitto, daughter, born Italy, 3
Joseph Misitto, son, BORN Pennsylvania, 8/12

Biff

Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Mesiti - Grotteria Reply with quote

1907 manifest, lines 12 to 14

Page 1
img412.imageshack.us/i...ti1907.jpg

Page 2
img85.imageshack.us/im...i19072.jpg

Lucia Cordasco and children Saverio (listed incorrectly as daughter Saveria), and Maria Carmela
Last residence and place of birth for all: San Donato Cosenza
Nearest relative in Italy: father/grandfather Federico Cordasco
Destination: Philadelphia to join husband/father Vincenzo.

Based on the 1910 census, it looks like Lucia and Clementina were the same person. And based on Rosa's ship manifest, Vincenzo's father's name was Giuseppe. Since the 1910 census shows 4 children born with 3 living, I believe Vincenzo's first child was named Giuseppe after his father but he died sometime after son Saverio's birth but before the family emigrated in 1907. When their third son was born, he likewise was named after his paternal grandfather.

Biff

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Mesiti - Grotteria Reply with quote

You rock Biff! Excellent find. I knew the Mesiti were from Grotteria but working a double shift yesterday I didn't have time to look everything up. Now mjmesiti can write to two comune for records on both her sides. Meanwhile I will check with some of the people I know and see if they already have the microfilm for Grotteria on loan and they if they can check for Vincenzo's birth record.

Calabria Exchange
mjmesiti

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Mesiti - Grotteria Reply with quote

Buff, you are amazing. I took the entire day to research everything, and even your speculations are (I believe) spot on. Here is something else that proves all you found is correct: my grandfather, born in 1914 to Vincenzo & Lucia Clementina was named Frederick. Most likely named after his maternal grandfather, Frederico.

I never would have made a connection that Lucia is also Clementina. It is interesting that Rosa (Vincenzo's sister), also used her middle name after immigrating, and even further changing it from Caterina to Catherine (which is on her gravestone). But the big mystery is how did you _not_ get distracted with Saverio being incorrectly listed as "daughter" Saveria. Smile But the dates match too perfectly to be coincidence.

I wonder why are surnames are changed so much? - "Mesiti" is listed perfectly on all ship records, but the census (of all things) shows Misito, making everything very difficult to track down. I will be doing a search on “Misito” to see what else I can find. It’s strange however, since Vincenzo uses Mesiti on his WWI registration (dated 1918).

But, wow, I must say that your investigative work is amazing! Again, thanks for all of your help, Biff - you have given me so much more now to search with - and I finally know my origins - which feels great! And nuccia, thanks also for your suggestions – I am going to write to both comune and see what can be found.
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Mesiti - Grotteria Reply with quote

mjmesiti wrote:
But the big mystery is how did you _not_ get distracted with Saverio being incorrectly listed as "daughter" Saveria. Smile But the dates match too perfectly to be coincidence.

I've found a number of instances where young children are given the wrong sex on ship manifests. In my granmother's case, when she emigrated in 1899 with her mother, sister and brother, all three children were listed as males.

I located the WWI Draft Card you mentioned but can't find any of your Mesiti's in Philadelphia city or anywhere else in 1920 or 1930. If I do find anything, I'll post it.

And yes, definitely write to both comunes for records, particularly since Vincenzo's sister gave her birth place on the manifest as Grotteria.

Best,
Biff

Page 1 of 2All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: