Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

Ambrogio Bianchi Birth Certificate - Rome/Ferentino
Last post by debbiemfit in Where do I begin? on Oct 14, 2017 at 15:28:01

Cardano al Campo, Italy
Last post by Seabreezes1 in Northern Italy on Oct 13, 2017 at 21:58:14

Muscatello
Last post by Biff83 in Southern Italy on Oct 11, 2017 at 15:22:57

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by PrimoMattino in Southern Italy on Oct 03, 2017 at 17:32:46

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by Italysearcher in Where do I begin? on Sep 24, 2017 at 18:25:31

Bastianelli Sant Elia Fiumerapido or Altina
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Sep 23, 2017 at 18:29:38

RESEACHING LUCIA NAPOLI DELIANOUVA
Last post by nuccia in Where do I begin? on Sep 22, 2017 at 06:13:48

Surname Serafini from Barga
Last post by Libby in Northern Italy on Sep 04, 2017 at 03:47:22

Sant'Elia Fiumerapido - De Filippis
Last post by Marchpatty in Central Italy on Aug 24, 2017 at 23:45:06

PUGLIESE OR VALEO
Last post by Biff83 in Central Italy on Aug 05, 2017 at 20:14:08

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › Castle in Sicily

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Castle in Sicily

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: Castle in Sicily Reply with quote

I have a series of pictures from my cousin and love this castle but there is no identification of where in Sicily this castle is. Confused Is this familiar to anyone?

DaveFerro
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: Castle in Sicily Reply with quote

Cathy,

Haven't found any info on that castle, but if you like castles, I have been searching this site: Castles of the World

Some of the castles are for sale and some in the U.S.

Also finding out more about Sicilian history, namely about the Norman King Roger II, who later also was . His mother was Adelaide of Savona - have to tell Simona about that. His uncle Robert Guiscard had been "holder" of Apulia, Calabria, and Sicily though it took Robert's half brother, Great Count Roger 30 years to completely conquer Sicily.

The Encyclopedia Britannica says that Roger II had his mother's dark looks and "probably spent time between Mileto in Calabria, the family estate in northeast Sicily, and Messina." His mother was regent until he was knighted in 1112 at Palermo and moved there. Also that Sicily was predominantly populated by Arabs with many Greeks. He kept these and Jews in his government. Wondering where the Italians were, i.e. Romans.

This is from the Oxford History of the Medieval Europe. William de Hauteville was lord of Salerno and Robert married "the formidable Lombard princess Sichelgaita" - I'd like to learn more about this person.

Seems like the best people to ask about the castle might be Ricardo and Maria. I'm going to check the library.

Dave

Ferro (from Ferri)(TE); De(i)Marzio, Nervina(o), Colucci, Gatto, Testa(CB); Basile(BA) ; Bianchi(AQ); Augello, Bissi, Iacono(AG); Pisano(), Impaglia () Friends looking also: Vivenzio (SA); LoPiccolo(PA)-seems to be Lopicolo originally
Aether
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Castle in Sicily Reply with quote

Cathy, Daveferro-

Google: Mondo medievali. Castelli Italiani. Sicilia.

There you will find all the castles already studied by historians, with very good information. I have not noticed "yours". Either has not been included yet, or is not in Sicily. It seems to me of Arab style.

Dave - if you are interested in that particular period of Sicilian history check the French scholars on that subject. Recent very detailed accounts have come to light, including one on "La Fulgurante" (as I prefer to call it) in Palermo, i.e the rooms in the old palace, now the site of the govt. assembly.
Absolutely " fulgurante" with the gold mosaics!. Do not get me going on that one!

Sophia (Aether)

Aether

Account Deactivated
Aether
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Castle in Sicily Reply with quote

Cathy,

I will check later for other possible castles, I have to meet a deadline , so this is all I can check for now. I amvery much into castles - favorite Castel del Monte in Puglia bcause of all geo. and math. studies.
Sophia

Aether

Account Deactivated
Eleven
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Castle in Sicily Reply with quote

I browsed around for about an hour. If that castle is in sicily..I didnt find it.

I found this page with a map, that you can click for castles. It wasnt there. Most other searches brought up the same ones.

www.regione.sicilia.it...tello.html
DaveFerro
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Castle in Sicily Reply with quote

Hi Sophia and eleven and Cathy,

Couldn't find it either after going through several sites. Didn't get to the library today -> had to put the air conditioner in and get the ceiling fans ready.

Anyway, thanks for the links. That Mondo medieval search brought up a number of results (the first was for branding, the second for cycling apparel). I'm going to go through some tonight, using the translate option.

My interest is due to my maternal grandfather coming from Siculiana, near Agrigento (Grigenti, as insisted by relatives) and that near the Greek ruins of Akragas. Still do not know what that means in Greek, except it is the name of a nearby river; Hypsas. Ah yes, an eponymous founder, perhaps, an Akragante.

The history of these and other cities are both fascinating and sad. Beautiful architecture but destroyed between two other armies. Let's see, Akragas taken over by the Carthaginians, then the Romans who enslave half of the residents, then the Carthaginians come back and destroy the town. One thought is that the Romans must have taken the best for slaves. Were my ancestors what was left behind? The mixture of cultures worked well under Roger II and there is that to explore. Churches, tombs and government buildings show the mixture of styles. And there is the knowledge that was preserved from the Greek and Arab.

As for Cathy's castle (just remembered that I knew someone in California whose name was Cathy Castle...I wonder), the figures on the tops of the towers look like men with their arms up, don't they?

On to the websites.

Thanks again,
Dave

Ferro (from Ferri)(TE); De(i)Marzio, Nervina(o), Colucci, Gatto, Testa(CB); Basile(BA) ; Bianchi(AQ); Augello, Bissi, Iacono(AG); Pisano(), Impaglia () Friends looking also: Vivenzio (SA); LoPiccolo(PA)-seems to be Lopicolo originally
Eleven
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Castle in Sicily Reply with quote

I was surprised it didnt show anywhere. How many castles could there be in sicily...its not that big.

Yes..they do look like little men. Its a pretty design, tho.
Aether
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Castle in Sicily Reply with quote

Eleven,

If you check the site I listed, written by noted historians, you will see that Sicily may be small -geographically- but is extremely rich in art, architecture and culture. As all the South of Italy!

I prefer not to rely on texts for tourists. The historical information sometimes is incorrect.

I will try to locate that Castle. It may be in Sicily, but not as yet included in the Site.

Sophia Wink

Aether

Account Deactivated
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Castle in Sicily Reply with quote

Thank you all so much for your help. I do have more pictures so I have links to them below in case it will help.
montaltouffugo.info/fo...ily012.jpg
montaltouffugo.info/fo...ily019.jpg

Aether: I also have a picture (my favorite of the hundreds of pictures my cousin gave me from his trip) of Castle ruins in Cosenza Province. He does not remember where this was either. Shocked Perhaps you know where this one is?
www.montaltouffugo.org...ria012.jpg

Aether
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Castle in Sicily Reply with quote

Cathy,
Something is not quite right about this so called "castle in Sicily". I recall "castles"like this in Christmas displays, recreational parks, etc.
Are you sure they're not pulling your leg? Looks like made of sand?###
Why you do not ask where?

The last one the "Ruderi..." if I have seen it a dozen times is nothing, must find where. Not in Montalto Uffugo?????????Will let you now.

Sophia neclord

Aether

Account Deactivated
Carole
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Castle in Sicily Reply with quote

I though it wasn't 'quite right' too. It looks as if it is built with what we call breeze blocks - a bit like these...

In the larger photos you can see that the windows aren't even 'in line'....
I think Aether might be right and it IS a little leg pull Cathy! kiss

peep

Researching: EDMED, SAVILL, TYSON, NEWCOMBE, STAPLETON, GUNTER, STAPLES
If you think education is expensive -try ignorance!

>Expats in Italy<
Come and join 'Dork and Friends'! >New Blog<
Eleven
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Castle in Sicily Reply with quote

It looks real to me...there is even graffiti on it. The thing that stikes me is that it looks small. I have seen similar ruins here in NY. That might not have been a castle...it might have been something else...an abbey maybe?
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Castle in Sicily Reply with quote

My cousin is not the leg puller type...he is a very serious man. It is a real building he just does not remember where in Sicily it was. He spent a week cruising Sicily by small boat about 5 years ago with friends and they did not always know where they were stopping. My last trip to visit him (he lives 1,000 miles away from me) he allowed me to copy his photo CD's from his trip onto my computer. I needed photos (copyright free) for my website. I will ask him to check with his friends. Thanks.

Aether
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Castle in Sicily Reply with quote

Cathy,
I love to ask Elizabeth's opinion, she is super building things, designing, etc.
I guess she will give us an "engineer's" opinion!
In the mean time I keep browsing...

Sophia kiss

Aether

Account Deactivated
BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Castle in Sicily Reply with quote

Ciao Sofia,

By looking at the photo I saw the four corners of the structure which leads me to believe that this may have been the start of a hotel or a large home and was never finished. It's a bit hard to tell because I can't see the rest of the building so I don't know how sprawling the lower level may be nor how much excavation had been done for the foundation. It does look like newer construction.

I sent a message to cathy and as she posted, her cousin was cruising around and snapping photo's of things that interested him and were unique so I hope he remembers where about he snapped the photo.

I'm thinking Riccardo might know where the photo was taken. I'm going to send him a message and see if he can take a look and tell us a possible location.

Don't know if this helps or not hide

baci kiss

Mangiardi, Tedeschi/Tedesco, Zangari, Coda, DeFrancesco, Ierulli, Bava, Daniele, Valente
  Page 1 of 2All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: