41: Community Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

Bastianelli Sant Elia Fiumerapido or Altina
Last post by MSDEMAMBRO in Central Italy on Sep 22, 2017 at 16:04:49

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by Dangat in Southern Italy on Sep 22, 2017 at 10:56:33

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by Dangat in Where do I begin? on Sep 22, 2017 at 10:47:34

RESEACHING LUCIA NAPOLI DELIANOUVA
Last post by nuccia in Where do I begin? on Sep 22, 2017 at 06:13:48

Surname Serafini from Barga
Last post by Libby in Northern Italy on Sep 04, 2017 at 03:47:22

Sant'Elia Fiumerapido - De Filippis
Last post by Marchpatty in Central Italy on Aug 24, 2017 at 23:45:06

PUGLIESE OR VALEO
Last post by Biff83 in Central Italy on Aug 05, 2017 at 20:14:08

PUGLIESE OR VALEO
Last post by Biff83 in Southern Italy on Aug 05, 2017 at 20:13:41

PUGLIESE OR VALEO
Last post by Biff83 in Northern Italy on Aug 05, 2017 at 01:30:23

Ambrogio Bianchi
Last post by debbiemfit in Central Italy on Jul 31, 2017 at 17:49:19

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › Foundling

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Foundling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sal4

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Foundling Reply with quote

My Grandmother was a foundling and not raised in an orphanage......Would she have a actually birth certificate recorded in the town records? or would it be a (letter) statement of how & when she was found.........Sal4

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Foundling Reply with quote

Good question. I would think she would think she would still have a birth act.

Calabria Exchange
Sal4

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Foundling Reply with quote

Also when I go to look at the films at the Family Search Center for the town she is supposedly from, do you think that I will see a account of her birth or her being found?........Sal4

Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Foundling Reply with quote

You might - it depends on what the LDS filmed for your town. Something like that might be found in the atti diversi. There would not (more than likely) be a notation on the birth act, however every child should have a birth act. I know of an orphan in my grandfather's town that was given to a family to raise by the biological father who was married (but not to the mother). The family he gave the baby to reported to the comune with the baby and he was given the surname Esposito on his birth act. His marriage documents listed 2 surnames Esposito and the surname of the family that raised him.

Sal4

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Foundling Reply with quote

Cathy, I do know that she has 2 last names her given birth name given from the priest or some official from the town and on her marriage cert it states that the parents have a different last name...So I don't know if the woman that raised her is her birth mother or a wet nurse that raised her or a woman that adopted her and who knows about who the real father is.....Was it common for someone of wealth to take in a foundling and raise the baby? Her family was well off financially and when she left to come to America to marry my Grandfather her family disowned her for marrying below her class....At one point my Grandfather worked for her family on their property before he came here..........Sal4

Italysearcher
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Foundling Reply with quote

In Italy a foundling is given a surname by the town official. In some areas of the south the word 'esposito' was added indicating that the child was 'exposed' for adoption or fostering. It was not part of their surname.
If she went to America to marry she would probably have used her travel identity document for marriage purposes. This would not indicate her parents names. She could give the names of her foster parents for the American authorities who maybe wouldn't question the different practices of another nation.
Most foundlings taken in by wealthy families were used as servants, maids companions. I can't imagine they were thrilled that she ran off after all the training they had given her.

Luca
Translator
Translator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Foundling Reply with quote

Sal4 wrote:
My Grandmother was a foundling and not raised in an orphanage......Would she have a actually birth certificate recorded in the town records?
I don't understand Sal Confused
You already have a birth certificate for your gm! Not a photocopy, it's true, but an "estratto per copia integrale" that is the exact transcription of what is recorded in the original!

or would it be a (letter) statement of how & when she was found.........Sal4
The estratto shows this information, or am I wrong?

L.
Sal4

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Foundling Reply with quote

Luca, Yes I have the letter stating her birth, but I was wondering if there was maybe another type of certificate stating the birth......I have my Grandfather's birth certificate and it is so different than the one I have for my Grandmother, so I was just wondering if there could be another form of a certificate recorded .........Sal4

Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Foundling Reply with quote

Sal4 wrote:
Cathy, I do know that she has 2 last names her given birth name given from the priest or some official from the town and on her marriage cert it states that the parents have a different last name...So I don't know if the woman that raised her is her birth mother or a wet nurse that raised her or a woman that adopted her and who knows about who the real father is.....Was it common for someone of wealth to take in a foundling and raise the baby? Her family was well off financially and when she left to come to America to marry my Grandfather her family disowned her for marrying below her class....At one point my Grandfather worked for her family on their property before he came here..........Sal4
In the case I gave you the parents names were given as unknown. The family passed down the knowledge of who the father was (the name was lost but other information was remembered) and the father provided for his son and gave him a share of his wealth. The surname given to him by the comune (as Italy Searcher referred to) was Esposito, the name he took was that of his adopted family. His father who had power, wealth and a title had to protect his identity. Remember back in that time frame an illegitimate child could ruin your position and place in society. Sadly, you will probably never know the answer to your questions unless you are lucky enough to find someone with knowledge passed down through generations.

Sal4

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Foundling Reply with quote

Cathy, I'm hoping that in the records of her town I may find some answers, if the family that raised her adopted her or not....I would think that there may be a record of that......Who know everything in my search of my Grandmothers family has been based on a finding a needle in a hay stack...........I'm pretty sure that I will never know who her real parents are.........Sal4

Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Foundling Reply with quote

You never mentioned the town name. Do you know what town?

Sal4

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Foundling Reply with quote

Yes...........Piedimonte D'Alfie

BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: Foundling Reply with quote

Hi Sal4 would it be possible for you to post your grandmother's and grandfather's birth acts ..... or whatever you were given to show birth ? It might be easier for everyone to help out if they could see the actual documents you're talking about.

Mangiardi, Tedeschi/Tedesco, Zangari, Coda, DeFrancesco, Ierulli, Bava, Daniele, Valente
Sal4

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Foundling Reply with quote

Hi Elizabeth......Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you, I'm out of town at the moment and when I get back home, I will find the documents and post them........Thanks....Sal4

Page 1 of 1All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: