32: Statistics
33: Community Forums
34: Community Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by Italysearcher in Where do I begin? on Sep 24, 2017 at 18:25:31

Bastianelli Sant Elia Fiumerapido or Altina
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Sep 23, 2017 at 18:29:38

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by liviomoreno in Southern Italy on Sep 23, 2017 at 05:52:40

RESEACHING LUCIA NAPOLI DELIANOUVA
Last post by nuccia in Where do I begin? on Sep 22, 2017 at 06:13:48

Surname Serafini from Barga
Last post by Libby in Northern Italy on Sep 04, 2017 at 03:47:22

Sant'Elia Fiumerapido - De Filippis
Last post by Marchpatty in Central Italy on Aug 24, 2017 at 23:45:06

PUGLIESE OR VALEO
Last post by Biff83 in Central Italy on Aug 05, 2017 at 20:14:08

PUGLIESE OR VALEO
Last post by Biff83 in Southern Italy on Aug 05, 2017 at 20:13:41

PUGLIESE OR VALEO
Last post by Biff83 in Northern Italy on Aug 05, 2017 at 01:30:23

Ambrogio Bianchi
Last post by debbiemfit in Central Italy on Jul 31, 2017 at 17:49:19

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › Help with Harry Fanto

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Help with Harry Fanto

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfanto

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Help with Harry Fanto Reply with quote

I am a grandson of Harry Fanto, who reported being born in Caulonia on June 27, 1894 and coming to the United States in 1907. I do not know the names of his parents and suspect that "Harry" was not his Italian name. Does anybody have advice on how to track down this information, so that I could obtain a copy of his Italian birth certificate.
charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Harry Fanto Reply with quote

Welcome Harry,

You have two options:

You can write to the Town Hall and request the Atto di Nascita for your Grandfather......there are folks on this website who would help to translate into Italian:

Comune di Caulonia
L'Ufficio di Stato Civile
Via Roma
89041 Caulonia RC

OR

You can order microfilmed records from the Family History Center and research the specific year of birth to locate the Atto di Nascita yourself:

www.familysearch.org/e...ibrary.asp

Locations:

www.familysearch.org/e...et_fhc.asp

Catologue:

www.familysearch.org/e...t_fhlc.asp

Good luck

Researching: Corato, Provincia di Bari in Puglia e San Giorgio Albanese, Provincia di Cosenza in Calabria.
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Harry Fanto Reply with quote

1930 census

Page 1
img46.imageshack.us/im...o19301.jpg

Page 2
img819.imageshack.us/i...o19302.jpg

Name: Harry Fanto
Home in 1930: Lowellville, Mahoning, Ohio
View Map
Estimated birth year: abt 1894
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's name: Jennie Fanto
Race: White
Household Members: Name Age
Harry Fanto 36, age at first marriage 26, naturalized WWI vet
Jennie Fanto 25, age at first marriage 15
John B Fanto 7
James Fanto 7
Marie Fanto 5 10/12
Joseph Fanto 3

If this is your grandfather and the family followed naming traditions, the first son would have been named after the paternal grandfather. Since it appears that the first born were twins, "Harry's" father might have been Giovanni or Giovanni Battista (John B) or Vincenzo (James). First daughter named after paternal grandmother Marie (Maria).

Possible Italian first name for Harry--Ilario???

Biff

"You live as long as you are remembered." -- Russian proverb

Last edited by Biff83 on Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
jfanto

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Harry Fanto Reply with quote

How do you know that he was a naturalized vet from that census record, which I also looked at? I thought that under the naturalization question it meant "No."

Sorry. I see that the legend says that "Na" means naturalized. This was all very helpful.
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Harry Fanto Reply with quote

He may have naturalized while in the army.

From Ancestry:
img151.imageshack.us/i...ntowwi.jpg

Ohio Military Men, 1917-18
Serial Number: 2428133
Race: W
Residence: Sixth St., Lowellville, O.
Enlistment Division: National Army LB 4
Enlistment Location: Youngstown, O.
Enlistment Date: 1 Apr 1918
Birth Place: Italy
Assigns Comment: 158 Depot Brigade to 21 Apr 1918; Co B 332 Infantry* to Discharge Private Vittorio-Veneto; Defensive Sector. American Expeditionary Forces 8 June 1918 to 14 Apr 1919. Honorable discharge 2 May 1919.
Volume #: 5
*332nd Infantry Regiment was part of the 83d Infantry Division (interestingly my father served in the 83d during WWII)
Company B was part of the 1st Battalion

Info on the 332nd Infantry Regiment in WWI
www.worldwar1.com/itaf...sitaly.htm
www.armyhistory.org/ah...xCompID=56

332nd Regimental Flag:
img404.imageshack.us/i...z332nd.jpg

332nd Regiment WWI Tunic:
img192.imageshack.us/i...itunic.png

332nd Regiment Unit Patch:
img338.imageshack.us/i...gpatch.jpg

WWII Draft Reg Card
img828.imageshack.us/i...towwii.jpg

Birth Date: 27 Jun 1894
Birth Place: Caulonia, Italy
Residence: Mahoning, Ohio

Do you know who Dicello Fanto is mentioned on the card?

Biff

jfanto

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Harry Fanto Reply with quote

DeCello was the maiden name of his wife. I believe it is not meant to be linked with Fanto. I assume that he lists the DeCellos and Fantos as people who would know his whereabouts.

There are several "Ilario" Fantos around, but they were his cousins, I believe. Also my father, James, was in fact born two years after his first brother, John. So the first son of Harry was John B. The census was wrong.
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Harry Fanto Reply with quote

I have the indici for Caulonia Births 1894 on my website (sorry but I don't have the film) and there doesn't look to be a Fanto born in Caulonia that year - unless I missed something.

www.calabriaexchange.c...s1894.html

If he was born in 1894 and arrived in the US in 1907 then he would have been about 13 so he would have more than likely (but not necessarily) been traveling with someone .

Have you been able to find his ship manifest? Did I miss seeing it?

Calabria Exchange
jfanto

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Harry Fanto Reply with quote

I don't know what exactly to say. I'm not sure how much to trust the information in the 1930 census. Without knowing his "Italian" first name, it is difficult to identify him on a ship's list. He also, later in life, listed different years for his birth. His railroad social security document lists June 27, 1891; his WWII draft registration card says June 27, 1894; his death certificate says 1892. He also apparently used the name "Larry" sometimes in the U.S. (although there was another Larry Fanto in Pennsylvania of about the same age who was not he).
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Harry Fanto Reply with quote

From my experience this is what I have found:
Never trust a census. There are ALWAYS inaccuracies but they are good starting points. Anyone could have provide that info to the census taker and immigrants did not trust the census takers much - others didn't speak English well and many had their children or neighbors provide the info for them/
Many Italians lied about their ages for different reasons. Many didn't even know when they were born because they didn't concern themselves much with things like birth certificates and such. Even if you look through Italian documents you will find that many Italians rounded up their ages. I have had more than one ancestor who got younger ever time they gave birth!
If Harry called himself Larry sometimes then most likely his name was Ilario. It's a name common to that part of Reggio.
Fanto is also a surname VERY common to Caulonia. Even if you wrote to Caulonia and had them do a ten year search for Harry you would have trouble without knowing the parents names or his real name (although I am almost convinced that Ilario, whether first or middle name is in there) because so many Ilario's were born with in that time. Lets try to work backwards using the ship manifests and info Biff provided to see if we can figure it out.

Have you looked at West Virgina? I found several Fanto's from Caulonia including a Giambattista (1855 and 1874)a Nicola, and an Ilario born 1884 heading that way to work in the mines. All arrived in the US in 1907. You need you go through manifests and try and match up clues.

Calabria Exchange
jfanto

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Harry Fanto Reply with quote

Many thanks for your help. I do know that my grandfather had relatives in West Virginia, which probably means that those Fantos there are related to him. I'll look at them in more detail. The problem here is that my own father did not get along well with his family and thus did not pass along any information about his father to me, and his brothers and sisters are now all passed away. The only information I had from them is that their father, the Harry in question here, was born in Caulonia.
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Harry Fanto Reply with quote

Ok, so we will use what you have and see what we can find. Biff gave us a great start. Meanwhile I should be getting some more records from Caulonia and we can try and see if we find anything there. I do have the films for 1888-189 I think on loan at the FHC. Might be worth looking at them to see if I can find anything.

Calabria Exchange
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Harry Fanto Reply with quote

West Virginia Vital Records site (birth, death, marriage). Might be helpful now or in the future.

www.wvculture.org/vrr/...elect.aspx

Biff

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Harry Fanto Reply with quote

Thanks Biff - I forgot to post that. I love this site! You rock. Smile

Calabria Exchange
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Harry Fanto Reply with quote

Interesting 1909 manifest for Ilario Fanto

YOB about 1892
Leaves mother Gabriela Taranto in Italy
Joining father G. Battista in Piedmont WV

Page 1
www.ellisisland.org/EI...&line=0016

Page 2
www.ellisisland.org/EI...&line=0016

Biff

jfanto

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Harry Fanto Reply with quote

Many thanks. I'll look at this. The other Ilario Fanto, who came over on Apr. 18, 1909, is naturalized in Pa. in Dec. 1922 and who marries Angelina, is not my grandfather (all this from ancestry.com). I'm hoping that this Ilario is not the same.
  Page 1 of 2All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: