Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › General › General Discussion Groups › Help reading a manifest

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Help reading a manifest
Want to share something new or just have fun? You can do that here.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index General Discussion Groups Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poipu04
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Help reading a manifest Reply with quote

Can someone help me with the handwriting on this manifest:

www.ellisisland.org/se...569120162&

Line 3, Giacomo Insarda'....The part that I am having trouble with is that is says he is staying with his brother Giuseppe Antonio. I can't read what is under that as far as a location/address goes. I do see something penciled in about Park Ave., but the writing in cursive under Giuseppe Antonio, I can't make out.

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Help reading a manifest Reply with quote

Looks like it could say... Bencotto Brooklyn

Calabria Exchange
Eleven
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Help reading a manifest Reply with quote

I tried. I cant make it out either..even using a huge magnifying glass.
Poipu04
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Help reading a manifest Reply with quote

Do you think it says Belsito, Brooklyn? That may make some sense in context? I would like to get a hard copy of it but I am wondering if there is a cheaper way than the $29 that Ellis Island charges. Do you think I can order a copy from the FHL photocopy service?

Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Help reading a manifest Reply with quote

Here's a darker jpeg image from Ancestry. You can save, copy to a CD and have printed at a FedEx/Kinko's on a large format for a lot less.

img211.imageshack.us/i...da1904.jpg

Biff

"You live as long as you are remembered." -- Russian proverb
Poipu04
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Help reading a manifest Reply with quote

Ooooh, Biff, you just save me $29!!!! party

Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Help reading a manifest Reply with quote

Just wish I could be more helpful in reading the information you're trying to decipher. I'm curious about the word after Giuseppe Antonio which looks like it begins with "f." Could it be "fu" or "from" or neither?
If it's "fu" that would indicate a male name beginning with "B." If it's "from" then possibly a town.

Biff

Poipu04
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Help reading a manifest Reply with quote

Do you think it is fam. as in family. I am taking a big leap in logic but the Belsito family of Brooklyn sponsored Giuseppe Antonio's wife to come to America and perhaps they sponsored his brother as well?

Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Help reading a manifest Reply with quote

A possibility. Now I'm wondering if Antonio is followed by "Co fam Belsito"---care of family Belsito. Could the person filling out the manifest in Italy have used "Co" a an abbreviation/shorthand for care of?

Do you have any other info on the Belsito family for me to check on possible census or other records to see if they lived on Park Ave? Names, ages, children, etc.

Biff

Poipu04
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Help reading a manifest Reply with quote

Biff: Yes, I have lots of info. The most likely sponsor is Domenico Belsito, 1861-1911, wife is Annunziata, children are Domenico and Giuseppe. He lived at 2 Union Place in Brooklyn. They were possibly owners of real estate and businesses. They were in the brewery business. Next likely character would be Fracesco Belsito1856-1925, wife Amelia Loeffler, child Teresa. He was also of Brooklyn. Last person: Angelina Belsito, 1855-1928, also of Brooklyn (single, no children). I have the 1909 and 1912 Brooklyn directories and there is no associated Park Ave. address. Hmmmmm......

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Help reading a manifest Reply with quote

Could be Belsito - that would make sense.

Calabria Exchange
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Help reading a manifest Reply with quote

It looks like you've located the Belsito census records already. Like you, I can not tie in the Park Avenue address but both 465 Park Ave and 2 Union Place (renamed Havens Place between 1910-1930) are both in the Bed-Sty area of Brooklyn about three miles apart. Wonder if the 465 Park was an address for one of their businesses?

Interesting that they were in the brewery business. Do you know if that was through Amelia Loeffler's family?

Biff

Poipu04
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Help reading a manifest Reply with quote

You know, I am not 100% sure of how they got into the brewery business. I am also intrigued with the Loeffler wedding because a Calabrian/German union must have been rare. I also think it was a Catholic/Protestant union. I have to dig up the marriage certificate.

I spent last night combing through the 1905 census, page by page online to ascertain who lived at 465 Park. I wonder if I was just plain tired because I could not for the life of my find that address. I got 467, 464, 466. Urgh! I used Steve Morse to figure out A17, A18 and A27 where the parts of the census to look through. I may take another look tonight.

Poipu04
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Help reading a manifest Reply with quote

Biff: I found mention in the Brooklyn Eagle that there was a saloon at 465 Park, scroll to bottom of page: eagle.brooklynpublicli...e=GIF&GZ=T

Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Help reading a manifest Reply with quote

If they were in both the brewery and saloon businesses, 465 might have only been a building housing a business with no residents and that's why it's not showing up on the resident census.

And an Italian Catholic/German Protestant wedding. Wonder what they served at the reception? Brats, beer, dago red and macaroni?!! Shocked

Best,
Biff

Page 1 of 2All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index General Discussion Groups Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: