Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Mar 12, 2017 at 21:49:52

Calabria Record
Last post by JoeBlack36 in Southern Italy on Mar 11, 2017 at 15:53:00

Cassivi from Ragusa
Last post by Italysearcher in Southern Italy on Feb 28, 2017 at 16:54:25

FONTANA-PENSA marriage between 1800 and 1814 in Como
Last post by denby in Northern Italy on Feb 27, 2017 at 00:00:12

Online Vital Records
Last post by debbiemfit in General Discussion Groups on Feb 26, 2017 at 21:15:51

Help finding city
Last post by Italysearcher in Southern Italy on Feb 05, 2017 at 11:10:06

Audino Birth Certificate - Benestare
Last post by drusilla in Where do I begin? on Jan 27, 2017 at 00:23:52

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › Marabella, Barbata, Sacco Family

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Marabella, Barbata, Sacco Family

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gyrozisis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Marabella, Barbata, Sacco Family Reply with quote

I would like to learn more about my ancestors and relatives from Calabria (most likely from Sera Petrisi, Scigliano, Cosenza). My grandfather was Francesco Marabella (Frank Marbell) b 1920 in Italy d. 1968 Glendora, CA US. His parents were from Italy- Antonio (Anthony) Marabella d. 1967 (father) and Francesca Barbata d. 1934 (mother). He had a sister, Caroline, and cousins with the surname Sacco. Many live in Toronto and throughout US.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Shelley T.
gyrozisis

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Marabella, Barbata, Sacco Family Reply with quote

I found some additional information through familysearch.org. According to a census record from 1930, my grandfather’s family lived in PA when they immigrated and the following was recorded:

Name: Frank Marbella
Event Type: Census
Event Date: 1930
Event Place: Dunmore, Lackawanna, Pennsylvania
Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Year (Estimated): 1920
Immigration Year: 1929
Relationship to Head of Household: Son
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
District: 0142
Household ID: 47
Sheet Number and Letter: 3B
Line Number: 82
Household Gender Age Birthplace
Head Anthony Marbella M 39 Italy
Wife Francis Marbella F 39 Italy
Son Frank Marbella M 10 Italy
Daughter Caroline Marbella F 0 Pennsylvania

This gives me an estimated year of birth for my great-grandparents and year of immigration. But still many questions remain unanswered. For example….
What would be the best way to obtain birth acts for my grandfather and grandparents?
Should I write to Scigliano commune or other location(s)? If so, what is the address and how should the letter be written? What names should I use?
What other records would I need in order to apply for dual citizenship, if I qualify?

I’m not certain of the town where they were born. My aunt once told me that my grandfather was from Cosenza. His cousin who immigrated with him when they were both about 7 years old recently told me that the family was from the same town she came from. Both she and Frank met their fathers for the first time when they came here. Once she said they were from Petrisi and another time she said Scigliano, which I discovered includes a smaller town, Sera Petrisi. But she had some trouble remembering.

Concerning our surname, I am still not clear. I know that the name was shortened to Marbell at some point in time. I have a hand written family tree where the name was written as Marabella. I couldn’t find much with that spelling or Marbella in my online search at the Portale della Storia degli Italiani website There I found many Mirabelli’s from Scigliano, but no one I could identify. I also found a draft record that could possibly be my great grandfather, spelled Mirabelli

Name: Anthony Mirabelli
Event Type: Draft Registration
Event Date: 1942
Event Place: Dunmore, LacKawanna, Pennsylvania
Birth Date: 05 Aug 1891
Affiliate Publication Title: World War II Draft Cards (4th Registration) for the State of Pennsylvania

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Marabella, Barbata, Sacco Family Reply with quote

Petition for naturalization

Name: Antonio Mirobelli
[Antonio Mirabelli]
Birth Date: 25 Aug 1891
Birth Location: Scifion, Italy
Spouse: Frances
Children: Frank
Arrival Year: 1920
Issue Date: 23 Jan 1928
State: Pennsylvania
Locality, Court: Middle District of Pennsylvania, District Court

img441.imageshack.us/i...llinat.jpg

Biff

"You live as long as you are remembered." -- Russian proverb

Last edited by Biff83 on Fri May 10, 2013 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Marabella, Barbata, Sacco Family Reply with quote

Antonio Mirabelli 1920 manifest, line 13

Name: Antonio Mirabelli
Arrival Date: 23 Oct 1920
Birth Date: abt 1891
Birth Location: Italy
Birth Location Other: Scigliano
Joining brother Giuseppe in Dunmore PA

Page 1
img16.imageshack.us/im...0page1.jpg

Page 2
img89.imageshack.us/im...ge2gid.jpg

Biff

Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Marabella, Barbata, Sacco Family Reply with quote

1929 Manifest for Francesco Mirabelli travelling with mother Francesca Barbetta, lines 15 and 16. Travelling with Francesca's sister Virginia Barbetta Sacco and nephew Giuseppe, lines 13 and 14. Nearest relative in Italy was Francesca and Virginia's father Raffaele Barbetta. Francesca and Francesco headed to Dunmore PA to join Antonio Mirabelli; sister Virginia and Giuseppe going to Helper UT to join Rosario Sacco.

Page 1
img607.imageshack.us/i...9page1.jpg

Page 2
img829.imageshack.us/i...9page2.jpg

Biff

Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Marabella, Barbata, Sacco Family Reply with quote

1940 census

Name: Tony Marahelli
Respondent: Yes
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1892
Race: White
Birthplace: Italy
Marital Status: Widowed
Relation to Head of House: Head
Home in 1940: Dunmore, Lackawanna, Pennsylvania
Street: E Drinker Street
House Number: 924
Inferred Residence in 1935: Dunmore, Lackawanna, Pennsylvania
Residence in 1935: Same Place
Citizenship: Naturalized
House Owned or Rented: Owned
Household Members: Name Age
Tony Marahelli 48
Caroline Marahelli 10
Frank Marahelli 20

img855.imageshack.us/i...li1940.jpg

Biff

Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Marabella, Barbata, Sacco Family Reply with quote

gyrozisis wrote:
Once she said they were from Petrisi and another time she said Scigliano, which I discovered includes a smaller town, Sera Petrisi. But she had some trouble remembering.

Serra Petrisi is a frazione (hamlet) in the town of Scigliano. Vital records for Serra Petrisi would be kept by the town of Scigliano.

Biff

gyrozisis

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Marabella, Barbata, Sacco Family Reply with quote

Wow! This is great information. Thank you, Biff for taking the time. I look forward to diving into the details. After seeing all the different name spelling variations, I think I know why they decided to just go with Marbell. But I like the sound of Mirabelli better. Smile
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Marabella, Barbata, Sacco Family Reply with quote

Pennsylvania, Order Sons of Italy in America, Mortuary Fund Claims, 1917-1978
Name: Anthony Mirabelli
Birth Date: 5 Aug 1891
Birth Place: Italy
Death Date: 4 Jan 1966
Death Place: North Tonawanda, Niagara, New York, United States
Father's Name: Mirabelli
Mother's Name: Caroline Mirabelli
Claim Number: 18863

img211.imageshack.us/i...llisoa.jpg

Biff

gyrozisis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Marabella, Barbata, Sacco Family Reply with quote

Thanks to all the great information from this site, I am feeling more confident about writing to request my grandparents birth acts. I have started with a letter regarding my great-grandfather. If someone would be so kind and review my letter, I would greatly appreciate the help.

Shelley T_____
address
City, CA zip code
USE

3 Giugno 2013

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Via Municipio, 1
87057 Scigliano, Province of Cosenza, Italy
CZ SCIGLIANO
ITALY

Egregi Signori,
Mi chiamo Shelley T_____, ed abito negli Stati Uniti all'indirizzo sopradetto. Cerco informazioni sul mio bisnonno, Antonio Mirabelli. Residente nel comune di Scigliano. Cerco questi dati per conoscere meglio la mia famiglia, e per trovare i miei parenti rimasti in Italia.
Vi sarei molto grato se poteste spedirmi l'estratto dell'atto di nascita di Antonio Mirabelli, in carta libera. Nato nel Dicembre 1891. Sposato Francesca Barbetta.
Vi ringrazio in anticipo per la vostra gentilezza e premura, e vi prego di addebitarmi tutte le spese postali e dei certificati.
Distinti saluti,

Shelley T_____
carmenpett

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Marabella, Barbata, Sacco Family Reply with quote

Dear Shelley, I read the informations that you post here and I think we are cousins... because my grandmother's mum (Annunziata Mirabelli) was Antony's sister... We have some letters and pictures that he sent to my grandma and to my mother... I would meet you... Please contact me at: silviaguarascio.sg @ gmail.com
gyrozisis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Marabella, Barbata, Sacco Family Reply with quote

I am very happy to have found my cousin from Italy through this site. Smile Smile :-) The same week. I received Anthony Mirabelli's birth act. His parents are Francesco Mirabelli and Carolina Barbetta. Their grandchildren have the same first names (my grandfather, Frank and his sister, Carolina Mirabelli-Holevinksi). There is also a cousin named Mike Bruzzese who my family lost touch with. Any other relatives? Please write.
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Marabella, Barbata, Sacco Family Reply with quote

Congrats on both receiving the birth act and meeting the new cousin. And thanks for keeping us posted!

Calabria Exchange
cuddles

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Marabella, Barbata, Sacco Family Reply with quote

Hi, I know this is several months after the last post, but I thought I'd say congratulations to both of you on finding your cousin! Also, your post was really interesting to me because my mother (whose mother was born/raised in Italy) named me Maribelle (almost Mirabelle, but decided on Maribelle last minute), but didn't have a particular reason for it other than her name is Mary and so was her mother's, and Maribelle sort of had Mary in it. I find it crazy coincidental that your ancestor's surname was Mirabelli, and I happened to stumble upon it! Not to mention that my grandmother's family lived in Pennsylvania when she first came over to America... Smile
gyrozisis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Marabella, Barbata, Sacco Family Reply with quote

Thank you, Maribelle! You have a beautiful name. Smile I hope your family research goes well. This site has been so helpful to me. I am now in touch with my family in Italy and am hoping/planning to visit them some time in the near future. I have never been to Italy and I am very excited about that. Very Happy
  Page 1 of 2All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: