No staff members are online!
Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

Muscatello
Last post by jnmlasater in Southern Italy on Sep 26, 2017 at 02:09:32

Ambrogio Bianchi Birth Certificate - Rome/Ferentino
Last post by Italysearcher in Where do I begin? on Sep 25, 2017 at 18:47:29

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by Italysearcher in Where do I begin? on Sep 24, 2017 at 18:25:31

Bastianelli Sant Elia Fiumerapido or Altina
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Sep 23, 2017 at 18:29:38

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by liviomoreno in Southern Italy on Sep 23, 2017 at 05:52:40

RESEACHING LUCIA NAPOLI DELIANOUVA
Last post by nuccia in Where do I begin? on Sep 22, 2017 at 06:13:48

Surname Serafini from Barga
Last post by Libby in Northern Italy on Sep 04, 2017 at 03:47:22

Sant'Elia Fiumerapido - De Filippis
Last post by Marchpatty in Central Italy on Aug 24, 2017 at 23:45:06

PUGLIESE OR VALEO
Last post by Biff83 in Central Italy on Aug 05, 2017 at 20:14:08

PUGLIESE OR VALEO
Last post by Biff83 in Southern Italy on Aug 05, 2017 at 20:13:41

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › Reclaiming Prioetti

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Reclaiming Prioetti

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnlaf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reclaiming Prioetti Reply with quote

I have strong reason to believe my grandfather and his two brothers, born in Ferrandina, Basilicata between 1879 and 1884, were proietti but later reclaimed by their unmarried mother, changing their "fictitious" surname given to them at birth to their mother's surname in the process. Are there civil documents that would support this, and if so, where can they be found? I believe I have the birth records for all three children, based upon their birth dates and first names.
Thank you.

John LaFianza
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Reclaiming Prioetti Reply with quote

Yes, if a 'foundling' is later recognized by a parent I believe there is a formal document written up. I would also try requesting a copy of your grandfather's or his brother's marriage act. If it lists the mother's name and the child was recognized and a document *should* exist. Can someone confirm this for me?

Calabria Exchange
liviomoreno
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Reclaiming Prioetti Reply with quote

If a 'foundling' is later recognized by a parent a notation is written on his birth record

La mia genealogia
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Reclaiming Prioetti Reply with quote

Good to know Livio. Thank you!

Calabria Exchange
Johnlaf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Reclaiming Prioetti Reply with quote

All three brothers married in the US. Three different father's first names were listed.

I have the birth records for the three from the provincial copy, in Matera. No notations are made in the margins, although I saw other unrelated records with these types of notations. Is it possible that sometimes the notations make it into the provincial copies and sometimes they don't? The original birth records in Ferrandina apparantly no longer exist.

I have ordered microfilms of Ferrandina "Atti Diversi" for the latter 1800's. Is this where I can find the documents reclaiming the children? If the mother was unmarried, as my great-grandmother was, would the town authorize her to reclaim the children?

Thank you.

John
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Reclaiming Prioetti Reply with quote

Thats a great question - I'm not sure. But in any case it will be interesting to know what you find on those films. Please keep us posted. Meanwhile I dig around and see if I can find an answer for you.

Calabria Exchange
Melanie532
Mod
Mod

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Reclaiming Prioetti Reply with quote

Reclamations are hard to find and are often informal. Rarely are they noted on a birth record. If they would be, it would be on the town's copy, not the one at the provincial archives UNLESS some kind of legal documentation was filed with the Tribunale (District Court) where the provincial archives copy is kept for the first 70 years.

If marriage supplements are available, I would check those for a notation. Normally, nothing is formally filed unless she could legitimize the child by marrying the father but there was no one rule for the whole country.

Melanie D. Holtz, CG
Italysearcher
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Reclaiming Prioetti Reply with quote

You might want to request the original records from the town. Their copy will have the notation if these children were 'recognised' by their mother. The microfilmed copy may not, depending on when it was sent to the Archives.
The military records should be under their 'new' name if the recognition occurred before their military service.
You may find it interesting to know that many seemingly abandoned (had fictional surnames) children knew who their parents were. They were often raised by their real parents. There is an article on my website re this phenomenon.

Melanie532
Mod
Mod

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Reclaiming Prioetti Reply with quote

I have to disagree with Ann in that the military records are not always in their "new" name. I've had multiple situations over the years, from different areas of Italy, where this was not the case. I'd keep both names in mind when searching the military records to cover all your bases.

Melanie D. Holtz, CG
  Page 1 of 1All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: