Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

Ambrogio Bianchi Birth Certificate - Rome/Ferentino
Last post by debbiemfit in Where do I begin? on Oct 14, 2017 at 15:28:01

Cardano al Campo, Italy
Last post by Seabreezes1 in Northern Italy on Oct 13, 2017 at 21:58:14

Muscatello
Last post by Biff83 in Southern Italy on Oct 11, 2017 at 15:22:57

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by PrimoMattino in Southern Italy on Oct 03, 2017 at 17:32:46

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by Italysearcher in Where do I begin? on Sep 24, 2017 at 18:25:31

Bastianelli Sant Elia Fiumerapido or Altina
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Sep 23, 2017 at 18:29:38

RESEACHING LUCIA NAPOLI DELIANOUVA
Last post by nuccia in Where do I begin? on Sep 22, 2017 at 06:13:48

Surname Serafini from Barga
Last post by Libby in Northern Italy on Sep 04, 2017 at 03:47:22

Sant'Elia Fiumerapido - De Filippis
Last post by Marchpatty in Central Italy on Aug 24, 2017 at 23:45:06

PUGLIESE OR VALEO
Last post by Biff83 in Central Italy on Aug 05, 2017 at 20:14:08

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › Nervino(a) documents

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Nervino(a) documents

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveFerro
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject: Nervino(a) documents Reply with quote

Finally going to post these documents of my foster mother's family. The name was Nervino in Ripabottoni and in Italian East Harlem, but got changed when they came to Auburn. The first is when her grandmother came back from a visit in 1896. They must have come originally before 1891, as that is when her father was born in NYC.
The actual size is 11X15; it had to be copied and reduced to fit the scanner.

Certainly hope I pasted the right link here.

Nervino-Ciarla Passport 1896

For a long time I could only find the children under Nervino and felt they could not have traveled alone. Finally looking at Italians To America at Seymour Library' History Room, there was a Ciarlo Maria Antonia just above the children's names. I didn't realize they would use her maiden name in the manifest.

Let's try this one first.
Dave
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Nervino(a) documents Reply with quote

Wow! What a wonderful document to have. I have my great grandmothers passport too but it looks a bit different. She came in 1909. I'll try and dig it up and scan it too.

Calabria Exchange
DaveFerro
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Nervino(a) documents Reply with quote

These passports were behind my mother's dresser and I didn't know about them until we were doing Spring cleaning and had to move the dresser. There are baptismal certificates and a bill for her grandfather's funeral, plus a hard cover booklet of his memberhship in the Harlem Shooting Club. If only I knew about these when I working in NYC at the Bronx VA Hospital and staying at a friend's loft on Mulberry St., I would have gone up to the church and found out more. I did speak and write to the pastor, Father Kelly (a soft Irish brogue voice) and he sent copies of three baptismal certificates, but what we wanted was the death certificates for her grandfather, aunt Incoranata, and we don't know what happened to Maria Antonia (same name as grandmother). Her cousin said the grandfather is buried above his daughter Incoranata, but we don't know where. I sent to Calvary Cemetery in Queesns but they only found a Frank Nervino and would tell us the other names (7 total) for $85. I decided to post at FindAGrave; no results yet.

The other passport is for a Francantonio Nervino, which I and others at ItalianGenelogy found went to Providence RI. No one seems to know which relative he was.

Esgee found the death certificate for Pietro, but that's it.

I'll have to scan some photos of Mulberry including a procession (not San Gennaro). Old St. Patrick's is right across the street from the loft.

Some more docs:

Baptismal Certificate Maria Antonia Nervino

Pietro Nervino Untertaker Bill

Argggh... I just got disconnected during an upload to ImageShack. How come yours don't have all the ads?
I want to see your greatgrandma's passport. We have grandma Bissi's (Rosa Testa); cousin Stan found that too along with grandpa Bissi's papers and my father's diary from WWII: now I know him. Another cousin, Monica, had records my father made of him singing, my mother and sister talking trying to get me to say something and cousins and uncles.

It's 3:30 am again. I'll have to post more tomorrow.

Dave

Thank you all.

Last edited by DaveFerro on Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Carole
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Nervino(a) documents Reply with quote

Oh my....all these documents are decidedly AWESOME. I am really becoming quite jealous.

This find your roots 'bug' has once again bitten me too and I'm hot (well almost warm) on the trail of 'mine' again. More of that elsewhere though.

Last week I also found an old briefcase of Bruno's which has old documents in. I need to get them sorted out sometime then I can start looking for his background. Surpisingly when I mentioned this to my niece her resonse was "Whatever do you want to do that for? They're all dead!" Perhaps, though I hope not, this attitude of younger Italians reflects why many just don't get replies from the old country to requests about their ancestors....

Researching: EDMED, SAVILL, TYSON, NEWCOMBE, STAPLETON, GUNTER, STAPLES
If you think education is expensive -try ignorance!

>Expats in Italy<
Come and join 'Dork and Friends'! >New Blog<
DaveFerro
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Nervino(a) documents Reply with quote

Carole,
I was amazed too, when I saw them. And I'm not related to those people, but to my foster mother, who is a first cousin to my mother. So I am her second cousin, right? Try explaining this to most people.
Actually my mom wasn't interested in finding relatives. After cousin Chiara died in Termoli, she said there's no one left there now. Well, how about her kids and other relatives? And of course, we here in US are still um...here. She's going to be 94 in December so she gets a pass. But she has been coming around a bit.

Finding things like you did and I too, I feel are precious. Something to remember someone by, even if you did not know them. Losing thing is tragic. I spent all day looking for photos in an album we loaned to her cousin. I hope I did not lose them or something else. It feels terrible if I did, as I have only seen that one copy.

Most of my cousins are getting into it here; maybe it is too familar for young Italian there. Of course I am talking about cousins who are my age or a few years older. The kids are too busy getting married and such. My granddaughter is 8 today speaking of children being busy.

Dave

Ferro (from Ferri)(TE); De(i)Marzio, Nervina(o), Colucci, Gatto, Testa(CB); Basile(BA) ; Bianchi(AQ); Augello, Bissi, Iacono(AG); Pisano(), Impaglia () Friends looking also: Vivenzio (SA); LoPiccolo(PA)-seems to be Lopicolo originally
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Nervino(a) documents Reply with quote

Great documents! I love the artwork they put on these old documents. The decorative borders and that horse and carriage hearse is priceless. Thamks for sharing.

MikeSavoca91
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Nervino(a) documents Reply with quote

DaveFerro wrote:
I sent to Calvary Cemetery in Queesns but they only found a Frank Nervino and would tell us the other names (7 total) for $85. I decided to post at FindAGrave; no results yet.

Ahhh another Calvary experince. Poor you, my dealings with Calvary have been poor to say the least. Gina and I have been put thru hell with them. When I go to Calvary I could always visit the grave and get the names for you?

Mike Very Happy
Emmy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Nervino(a) documents Reply with quote

It's so good to read about everyone finding documents and sharing them. I'm beginning to think I would have been able to find out so much more about my ancestors if they had travelled to the USA instead of Britain. (No ship 's manifest seem to be available for Italians coming to Britain in the 1880's) - Second thoughts -If they had gone to USA I wouldnt be writing this because I just would never have been born!! Shocked
Emmy
charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Nervino(a) documents Reply with quote

DaveFerro wrote:
Carole,
I was amazed too, when I saw them. And I'm not related to those people, but to my foster mother, who is a first cousin to my mother. So I am her second cousin, right? Try explaining this to most people.
Actually my mom wasn't interested in finding relatives. After cousin Chiara died in Termoli, she said there's no one left there now. Well, how about her kids and other relatives? And of course, we here in US are still um...here. She's going to be 94 in December so she gets a pass. But she has been coming around a bit.

Finding things like you did and I too, I feel are precious. Something to remember someone by, even if you did not know them. Losing thing is tragic. I spent all day looking for photos in an album we loaned to her cousin. I hope I did not lose them or something else. It feels terrible if I did, as I have only seen that one copy.

Most of my cousins are getting into it here; maybe it is too familar for young Italian there. Of course I am talking about cousins who are my age or a few years older. The kids are too busy getting married and such. My granddaughter is 8 today speaking of children being busy.

Dave

Great docs --- thanks for sharing......

Researching: Corato, Provincia di Bari in Puglia e San Giorgio Albanese, Provincia di Cosenza in Calabria.
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Nervino(a) documents Reply with quote

Charliemis,
I crack up everytime I see a post by you (your avatar is so cute) - I LOVE your avatar!

DaveFerro
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Nervino(a) documents Reply with quote

Emmy,

At one time I had a bookmark to UK passenger lists but lost it. One I found just now is on The Ships List under Debbie Beavis, but the reference is to The Public Records Office. She says there are

inbound from 1878-1888 [very very few]
inbound 1890 to 1960
British Passenger List Records

This other one seems extensive:
Passenger Lists on the Internet

There must be some records as far as Italian passports to Scotland, as the Nervino ones show they wanted to know where their citizens were going. What about the Italian Consulate in Scotland. Those baptismal certificates were stamped and notated on the back by the Consulate in NYC, even if the person was born in NYC.

Mike,
It would be great if you could check at Calvary. The plot they told us about is in Third Calvary, Section 18, Range 15, Plot H, Grave Nos 3/4. Not sure if this is them. My mother's cousin said Pietro Nervino is buried above his daughter Incoranata who died around 1900. There might be an infant Maria Antonia as we have that baptismal certificate and no one seems to have known of her. This plot was purchased by a society in Brooklyn, and they lived in Manhattan, so again it might not be them. I asked the cemetery to look for Pietro in 1903, but he seems to have died in 1902. Thanks for the offer! When you go there, let me know.

Meanwhile, some more pics. I put some over on Nuccia's topic about her grandfather. Sorry about that N. Looks like someone is cleaning up my Urls; thank you.

Part of Raffaele's certificate is missing, but I put the reverse in the spot to show the Consulate's stamp.

This is the first page of the Tiro book. His name is written as Nervinii here and on the cover. In the back of the rules, there is a listing of the members. This should be helpful for NYC relatives. I sent it to the church website (Vic Guerra) but he said he did not recognize any of the names. I'll have to contact the older folks.
Our Lady of Mount Carmel East Harlem

Dave
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Nervino(a) documents Reply with quote

Dave you have the most amazing documents. Lucky you! The second record is like the one I have for my great grandmother which I promise I will post soon. I looked for it last night and located it..just need to reconfigure my printer and it seems to freeze up my scans..

I cleaned up a few of your links yesterday. I hope you don't mind.

Thanks for sharing with us!

Calabria Exchange
DaveFerro
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Nervino(a) documents Reply with quote

I noticed that the /URLs were gone and I was going to remove them as I read an instruction Simy was giving someone about not using the URL button for these links. So in other words, thanks and you can clean up anytime if you see mistakes.

I wiil check tomorrow night for your grandmother's record. I'll put up my grandmother's too. Stan found them in the attic. The ones of our grandfather were in a toolbox in the basement for at least 30 years. It's a miracle they weren't ruined. Most of the time, Stan and I talk about food (moms' cooking) and what's in the garden. He gave me an onion from his cousin that was 4 inches in diameter so I gave him half of a 16 inch cucumber. A fair deal.

Dave

Last edited by DaveFerro on Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:47 am; edited 1 time in total
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Nervino(a) documents Reply with quote

Dave,

I'm sorry I haven't had the chance to post the record, but I promise I will post it this week. The printer/scanner is still acting up and if I try to play with it I will get nothing done tonight.

Long day at work. I started just before 4 am and didn't get home until after 2 pm....had no lunch either. I came home and just crashed for a few hours but I'm still pooped.

Between your garden and your research I see you are very busy. Best to keep active..

Please, post more records. I love looking at them.

Will write more in the morning if I wake up early enough. I think its time I think about bed...

Calabria Exchange
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Nervino(a) documents Reply with quote

Here's a picture of Francesco's oldest brother Giuseppe. The man was 20 years older..now talk about character..

genealogyexpress.com/p...ropped.bmp

Another brother I think killed a man in the forest (chopped off his head with an axe). He did 30 years for that. I heard another brother may also have been in jail, and died there but I'm not sure thats true since Dad does tend to get his stories mixed up. lol

Calabria Exchange
  Page 1 of 2All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: