Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › All Things Italian › Translations › Italian translation from a website

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Italian translation from a website
For help with translating documents or writing letters.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Translations Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Italian translation from a website Reply with quote

I know someone in the family owned a grocery store in the neighboring town of San Fili. Below is an except from a website about San Fili that I believe refers to the same grocery store. Can someone translate it for me? Babelfish is not working too well with this text.
Thanks.
Il periodo della raccolta delle castagne (secondo la tradizione compreso tra la settimana dedicata a nostro Santo Patrono San Francesco di Paola e il giorno di Tutti i Santi) nel nostro paesino era gioia per tutti: dai grandi ai più piccoli, tutti, fermo restando il periodo di magra, si poteva gioire di qualche soldo in più nelle tasche... si arricchiva il corredo delle pulzelle, sulla tavola si poteva sgranocchiare qualcosina ed i giovani potevano persino dar vita a qualche pazzia quale andare a vedere un film al cinema. Ancora oggi, a San Fili, qualche parvenza di Circo, Giostra o autoscontro viene a spillarci qualche quattrino proprio in questo periodo. Per il paese, in quegli irripetibili giorni, venivano improvvisati svariati magazzini per la raccolta delle castagne: di una certa importanza erano quelli di Vincenzo Speziale (leader indiscusso del settore), Raffaele Comandé, Francesco Nigro e Pasquale Granata, Martino Lombardo, Francesco Corrado, Antonio Lio, Raffaele Cesario, Gisberto Napoletano e Enrico Crispini i quali, a fine campagna, arrivavano a contare un immagazzinamento, ciascuno, dai 100 ai 150 quintali del prelibato e ricercato frutto. C'era comunque spazio anche per le piccole ditte (magari legate ad una sola stagione) quali quella di Stano Cirillo e Francesco Assise, Giuseppe Cesario, Antonio Ruffolo e Mario lazzolino: tutto il paese era in fermento, tutti, nessuno escluso, erano impegnati in questa magica attività che li riportava al diretto contatto con la natura circostante.

Santa Vennera, i Cozzi, Topa, la Silvia, Uncino, Torre Bruciata, Tanzia e Favale erano considerati veri e propri castagneti in quanto i loro nomi erano legati a poche famiglie proprietarie di grossi appezzamenti (o partite): i Blasi, i Miceli, i Gentile, i Caracciolo (Gesuiti) e i Vercillo (Bucita). Non mancavano comunque i piccoli proprietari. A San Fili confluivano, in ogni caso, anche le castagne raccolte in comuni e zone più o meno vicine: Caldopiano, Gesuiti, Parantoro e lo stesso San Benedetto Ullano. Avevamo una stazione ferroviaria a disposizione e anche questo, all'epoca, significava ricchezza

Carole
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Italian translation from a website Reply with quote

All 'done and dusted' Cathy! Hope it's OK....

The harvest period of the chestnuts (according to tradition including the week dedicated to our Patron Saint San Francesco of Paola and All Saints Day) in our little town was a joy for everyone: from the grown-ups to the little ones, all still and waiting for the lean times to stop, then they could rejoice with a few extra coins in their pockets…. they would enrich the maidens trousseau, from the table you would be able to munch something or other and the youngsters would even be able to create some madness like going to the cinema to see a film. Even today, in San Fili, you can see some aspects of the Circus, Carousels or dodgems came to get a few coins out of you in this period. For the town, in those unrepeatable days, many varied and improvised stores appeared for the collection of the chestnuts: of a certain importance were those of Vincenzo Speziale (undisputed leader in the sector), Raffaele Comandé, Francesco Nigro and Pasquale Granata, Martino Lombardo, Francesco Corrado, Antonio Lio, Raffaele Cesario, Gisberto Napoletano and Enrico Crispini all of whom, at the end of the excercise, came together to reckon the storage costs, warehouses each for 100 to 150 quintal (220lb) of the delicious and sought after fruit.

There was however also room for the little firms (perhaps involved for one season only) among whom were those of Stano Cirillo and Francesco Assise, Giuseppe Cesario, Antonio Ruffolo and Mario Lazzolino: all the town was in turmoil, everyone, no one excluded, was involved in this magic activity that brought them into direct contact with the surrounding nature.

Santa Vennera, the Cozzi, Topa, Silvia, Uncino, Torre Bruciata, Tanzia and Favale were considered to be true chestnut groves in-as-much as their names were linked to a few families who were owners of large tracts (or divisions): the Blasi, the Miceli, the Gentile, the Caracciolo (Jesuits) and the Vercillo (Bucita). There was no lack however of little owners. In San Fili they converged, at any rate, even the chestnuts gathered in the communes and the more or less nearby areas: Caldopiano, Gesuiti, Parantoro and the same San Benedetto Ullano. We had a railway station we could use and even this, at the time, signified riches.

Researching: EDMED, SAVILL, TYSON, NEWCOMBE, STAPLETON, GUNTER, STAPLES
If you think education is expensive -try ignorance!

>Expats in Italy<
Come and join 'Dork and Friends'! >New Blog<
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Italian translation from a website Reply with quote

Very interesting, thank you Carole. So, now I know why chestnuts are so big in the family...they were important in the town and probably grown on the farm in Parantoro.
You are wonderful Carole, thanks again! kiss

Page 1 of 1All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Translations Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: