79: Community Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

Napolitano - Falzarano, Airola
Last post by goldfreaz in Southern Italy on Jun 15, 2017 at 01:29:50

How do we preserve our Genealogical research for the future?
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Jun 14, 2017 at 23:36:52

Maria Perri
Last post by MikeBarbato in Southern Italy on Jun 14, 2017 at 16:57:18

Lanni Family Sant Elia FR
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on May 31, 2017 at 10:03:19

Vuozzo Surname
Last post by Biff83 in About Us on Apr 29, 2017 at 19:15:44

Translate Do(edited)ent
Last post by Italysearcher in Translations on Apr 17, 2017 at 16:08:33

Ghio in Portovenere
Last post by Marko in Southern Italy on Mar 14, 2017 at 17:31:06

Birth Record for GGF and GGM
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Mar 12, 2017 at 21:49:52

Calabria Record
Last post by JoeBlack36 in Southern Italy on Mar 11, 2017 at 15:53:00

Cassivi from Ragusa
Last post by Italysearcher in Southern Italy on Feb 28, 2017 at 16:54:25

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › LaBarbera Trip to Sicily

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
LaBarbera Trip to Sicily

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnlabarbera
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: LaBarbera Trip to Sicily Reply with quote

All the hard work and the support from my Gente di Mare friends paid off!!! I found new relatives and actually made the connections with the help of Kathy Kirkpatrick excellent research support in Utah. My biggest mystery now is that I learned ALL of Gaetano's siblings were shipped to America after the tragic death of their father who died while trying to save a neighbor from a fire. While Gaetano's mother recuperated, they lived in America. I think maybe they lived with their Aunt Ignazia LaBarbera Guglielmo in New Orleans, then according to my Sicilian cousins, they think only Giuseppa went back to Sicily because she could tailor so well. So now, Gaetano's sister Agnese must have been in America, but I am not sure. I also never saw any passenger or census info to prove anything other than Gaetano, Giovanni and Antonio being in America. Well, maybe my friends on GM can help!!! Enjoy the photo and stories....

Hello/Ciao!

Family/Friends

Here is a link to the photos from our trip.

IT IS A WORK IN PROGRESS!!! There may be some missing or incorrect info but I will fix over time.

Also, I will be uploading some video and additional photos next week so check back in now and then for updates!

When you open the link, if you choose "slideshow", once the slideshow starts, be sure to click on the picture where the "i" shows up, so that the descriptive information that goes with each picture. Also please leave comments!

Here is the link:

www.flickr.com/photos/jlabarbera

For those of you who are thinking about going to Italy/Sicily, don't even think about it. Just DO IT. FIND A WAY. You will never regret it. It was the most fascinating and wonderful experience, photos can do no justice. And the families we stayed with and visited made us feel so welcome and comfortable I felt like I knew them my whole life. We will be going back next June for at least 3 weeks...get your calendars cleared and save your money!!!

Again, this was done quickly so I will update it and correct it over the next several days.
Carole
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: LaBarbera Trip to Sicily Reply with quote

Oh John...
Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful collection of photo's with us. What marvellous memories you and your family must have of those days when you finally came face to face with your family roots.

Was it really as good as you thought it would be? Judging by all the smiling faces in all the photo's I suspect that it was in fact even better than your wildest dreams.

It's nice to see you back among us, I'm sure everyone missed you.

John is quite right when he says "Don't just think about it - DO IT!!!" Yes it may take a long time to save sufficient money - but the opportunity is far too good to miss!

VIVA ITALIA!

and once again John - Grazie mille! kiss

Researching: EDMED, SAVILL, TYSON, NEWCOMBE, STAPLETON, GUNTER, STAPLES
If you think education is expensive -try ignorance!

>Expats in Italy<
Come and join 'Dork and Friends'! >New Blog<
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: LaBarbera Trip to Sicily Reply with quote

John,
So good to have you back!! How awesome - you have lived my dream! Not only to go to Italy but to meet family!! Congratulations!

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: LaBarbera Trip to Sicily Reply with quote

Wonderful pictures, John,

Thanks for sharing them with us. I can't wait to go ...

Calabria Exchange
BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: LaBarbera Trip to Sicily Reply with quote

Glad you had such a great time John and thanks for sharing the wonderful photo's.

Mangiardi, Tedeschi/Tedesco, Zangari, Coda, DeFrancesco, Ierulli, Bava, Daniele, Valente
Poipu04
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: LaBarbera Trip to Sicily Reply with quote

Incredible! It is so amazing that they still have the sewing machine and bike. I can't believe how quickly you pulled this all together!

stevenspringer
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: LaBarbera Trip to Sicily Reply with quote

i congradulate anybody who actually found and meet there Italian ancestors still in italy, Congrats John... One day i wish i could find some living ancestors over there.

Researching: DiLenge,Taiano,Lagonigro,Bertoli,Holick(Holick and every other way spelt), Rykowski, Hraba,Roman
chanchisfea
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: LaBarbera Trip to Sicily Reply with quote

I truly enjoyed looking at the pictures, just gorgeous!

Thank you for sharing them with us kiss

Liz Cool

Transcripts for towns of Petrona' - San Vincenzo la Costa and Verzino, Italy Smile
johnlabarbera
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: LaBarbera Trip to Sicily Reply with quote

Thanks everyone....I couldn't have done it without you!
stevenspringer
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: LaBarbera Trip to Sicily Reply with quote

Do you have any tips in finding living relatives for everybody john?

Researching: DiLenge,Taiano,Lagonigro,Bertoli,Holick(Holick and every other way spelt), Rykowski, Hraba,Roman
johnlabarbera
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: LaBarbera Trip to Sicily Reply with quote

Here is the process I used in a few simple steps:

1. Get as much info from your older living relatives as possible, do it now while they are still living! Find out surnames and given names, as the given names are indicative of your ancestors names. Italian tradition was to name the children after the grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. In my tree which goes back to 1700, there are only maybe 7 different male names. You will use this when you search the town of your ancestors births.

2. Determine the birthplace of your ancestors. This is critical, as your ancestors very likely did not move much from their town of birth and it is likely this is where your relatives are. Passenger lists typically list last residence of the immigrant. So find the passenger list of your immigrating ancestors if you are not able to get this from your older relatives or birth/marriage/death records. Subscribe to Ancestry.com and/or join a forum like this one, it is best to do some research on your own but ask the forum for help when you get stuck. Forum support accelerated my search by years!

3. Once you determine the town of your ancestors, write letters to all the folks who have same last name and similar given names of your ancestors. You can find these folks by searching the Italian white pages www.paginebianche.it/index.html. Sample letters in Italian can be found at www.mangeruca.com/pote...lative.htm however it is best to have someone call around for you once you have good research info on your ancestors. I used Emilio at genealogypro.com/eterrazzino.html to call potential relatives for me, this is how I actually made the connection as I rarely received any response from my letters. But you have to have some basic family tree data before you do this.

4. As you start getting more info, research the birth, death and marriage records of your ancestors. It is best to hire an expert if you are in a hurry, the records are very difficult to read. Not only are they in Italian but in an old writing style. The records that the Mormons have maintained are invaluable, and typically cover from 1820 to 1903. Before that you need to go to the church. I used Kathy Kirkpatrick at Gentracer, very happy with her services. I did a lot of my own via the local LDS family history center and it was very fun to do but if in a hurry best to hire someone for a more complete and accurate investigation.

5. Do not give up....you will hit bumps along the way....but you are lucky that you are Italian, as Napolean did good when he forced our ancestors to record everything....

6. There are tons of tips other tips which are all likely on a forum or genealogy website....use the Internet! #1 source for my success...

Ciao!
Carole
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: LaBarbera Trip to Sicily Reply with quote

Thank you for that great insight on how to achieve what you did John.

Yes I agree, you can't start soon enough asking those questions... it is, as you say, too late when 'they' have gone! I know just how valuable that advice is - I have never had anyone to ask about one side of my family. But oh - how I wish I had!

I also think you are soooo right when you say DON'T GIVE UP!!! My research mirrors yours and the brick wall's that I hit were too many to list. But when that happens you need to put your search aside for a moment, and reflect on your target - keep that in mind always. That target will keep you going through those times when you feel "Enough - I'm going to stop!"

Researching: EDMED, SAVILL, TYSON, NEWCOMBE, STAPLETON, GUNTER, STAPLES
If you think education is expensive -try ignorance!

>Expats in Italy<
Come and join 'Dork and Friends'! >New Blog<
  Page 1 of 1All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: