Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › General › General Discussion Groups › Comune unable to locate records!

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Comune unable to locate records!
Want to share something new or just have fun? You can do that here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index General Discussion Groups Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lilbees
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Comune unable to locate records! Reply with quote

I have recently been in a discussion with a comune who denied any record of my family in their comune.

I had located 5 of the children born in Lercara Friddi on the LDS films and copied them.

After several emails back and forth they still cannot locate anything.

This a.m. I responded with the copies of the Italian birth records I have for those children. I am now waiting for a response. I know the family surname is difficult to discern when looking through records, at least on film. But, never the less I did find them. There are so many ways to write the various letters in the name I can understand their difficulty.

I wanted to have certificates of birth in addition to the film photocopy. I also wanted them to search for any other family records for me.

Have others had a similar problem?

lilbees

Eleven
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Comune unable to locate records! Reply with quote

In my 16 years worth of experience, I found that, nobody looks...the way you look.

I dont know if you can still do this, but when I began to research, you could send to the national archives to search ship passenger lists for you, for free. Once they searched, they would mail you to say if they found the person or not. If you wanted a copy..it was 10 dollars, but they sent you a huge record..very big, size wise.

I would send to have a search done, then go myself to the New York City public library. We went 4 times. In those 4 times, I found all of the people I was looking for. The national archives found one.

I will bet you money, that half of the places I wrote to for documents, that couldnt find them..didnt look the way I would look.

I get the funny feeling, that when we mail to italy..the most they will do is look at the index...and many times, names are omitted there.

They will not search...as far as giving them a span of a few years. You seem to need the exact date.

I think your records are there...you have them right in your hand. But, if those names arent on the index...or if they cant make out the handwriting...thats the kind of reply you will get.

You can try writing to the provincial capitol. I had more luck with them. I was looking for 2 people. They sent me the correct document for one..and 2-3 for the other, because they had the same name.

I guess it could also depend on the person opening your mail...but, when I was dealing with the town..I kept getting the same person..and this person would not search a span of years.
lilbees
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Comune unable to locate records! Reply with quote

What I found in this situation was that after first learning they could find nothing I rented the LDS Films for the years needed. It took quite a bit of time but I eventually found them. To begin with, I did have dates of birth, etc. As it turned out most were off about a year. When I had the copies I did correct my information to reflect the dates on the documents.

I furnished this information including the registry number and they still said they could not find them. We will see, with the actual copies I attached of the records, if they find them and will issue a Certificate of Birth.

I am sure I will hear tomorrow.

As for writing to the provincial capitol, I did not know if that was possible. When I contact the Palermo Archives they referred me to the comune. My understanding is that the Archives will not do a search. You must have fairly complete information. I will stand corrected if I am wrong. Would love to have them search for me.

lilbees

Eleven
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Comune unable to locate records! Reply with quote

I wrote the archives for my great grandfather after I got just an extract from the town and it had parents unknown. At that time, I didnt know that you could request a copy. I thought I would give the provincial capitol (Potenza) a shot. I had the exact date for the birth..and while I was at it, I asked for another record that I had the dates for. I cant even recall why I wanted that one.

They sent me back the copies, which I was so happy to get, because it contained a big notation on the bottom. I didnt even trust my limited Italian reading or a translation program, so I had someone from an Italian group that I belonged to, translate it for me. This woman went line by line, first translating, then explaining what everything meant.

Anyway, I cant say that they did a search...I had the dates, but they did sent me a couple of different copies for the second person. Of course, just one of them was mine. Maybe they saw 2 on the index and just copied both.
lilbees
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Comune unable to locate records! Reply with quote

What you are suggesting I have in deed done as well. At least in most cases. In one case I was looking for a copy of the marriage record which, as it turns out, because of damage to the books, they could not provide. But, I did get me gg grandfather's birth record which they did have. Very greatful for it. So we must all prepare for some nice surprises along with the bad.

lilbees

lilbees
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Comune unable to locate records! UPDATE..... Reply with quote

Had good news today from Lercara Friddi.

They were most appreciative of my sending copies of the records I had located on the microfilm from the LDS Library. They were then able to locate the actual records.

The clerk explained that all indexes for a ten year period were missing, 1868 thru 1878. That problem made it very difficult to locate records in that time period. As they have time, they will begin to search for the other birth records I have indicated so that I will have an official copy from the comune. giornale

As explained, it will take them some time but they will be working on it.

I sent a note this a.m. expressing my appreciation with a big smiley and a thank you to the individual. lol

lilbees

PS Always like to give the good with the bad

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Comune unable to locate records! Reply with quote

Good job, lilbees! Keep us posted on what happens. Smile

Calabria Exchange
Eleven
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Comune unable to locate records! Reply with quote

Thats great!!
lilbees
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Comune unable to locate records! Reply with quote

A little bit of "honey" or encouragement helps. (I hope this works on Roccapiemonte as well. I sent the director a note of appreciation last week for all his hard work on my behalf Wink )

lilbees

Page 1 of 1All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index General Discussion Groups Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: