Request for extracts ignored by L'ufficio di Stato Civile
Last post by charliemis in Southern Italy on Oct 23, 2017 at 11:38:43

Ambrogio Bianchi Birth Certificate - Rome/Ferentino
Last post by debbiemfit in Where do I begin? on Oct 14, 2017 at 15:28:01

Cardano al Campo, Italy
Last post by Seabreezes1 in Northern Italy on Oct 13, 2017 at 21:58:14

Muscatello
Last post by Biff83 in Southern Italy on Oct 11, 2017 at 15:22:57

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by PrimoMattino in Southern Italy on Oct 03, 2017 at 17:32:46

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by Italysearcher in Where do I begin? on Sep 24, 2017 at 18:25:31

Bastianelli Sant Elia Fiumerapido or Altina
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Sep 23, 2017 at 18:29:38

RESEACHING LUCIA NAPOLI DELIANOUVA
Last post by nuccia in Where do I begin? on Sep 22, 2017 at 06:13:48

Surname Serafini from Barga
Last post by Libby in Northern Italy on Sep 04, 2017 at 03:47:22

Sant'Elia Fiumerapido - De Filippis
Last post by Marchpatty in Central Italy on Aug 24, 2017 at 23:45:06

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › Jackini...? Various Sp.?

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Jackini...? Various Sp.?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cuddles

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Jackini...? Various Sp.? Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I don't know much about genealogy research and such but I was wondering if someone might be able to help me with this Italian surname. My grandmother, whom I never met, was born and raised in Italy, but my family doesn't know where. According to my mother, her maiden name was Jackini, but all of her brothers and sisters spelled it differently when they came to America. Does anyone happen to know anything about this last name?

Thank you for any help you can give me.

~cuddles
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Jackini...? Various Sp.? Reply with quote

Can you give us a couple of the spelling variations? I am thinking more along the lines of Giacchini (first thoughts only). Also, if you give us her first name, husband's full name, approximate year of birth and where they settled we may be able to find the info for you.

Calabria Exchange
suanj
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Jackini...? Various Sp.? Reply with quote

I believe that the right spelling could be IACHINI, also spelled in the past time: JACHINI.
If you give us more details abt your grandmother we can help better.
Regards,
suanj
cuddles

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Jackini...? Various Sp.? Reply with quote

Apparently her brothers and sisters spelled it starting with a "c", and my mother had said that "Cacchione" looked similar, although I think that the "ione" doesn't fit to the pronunciation. Her first name was Mary, and her husband's full name was Francis William Stanley. I know they met in Pennsylvania, which is where her family settled when they came over. I don't know when she was born, but I'm guessing sometime around 1917?
Thank you so much for any help.
~cuddles
suanj
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Jackini...? Various Sp.? Reply with quote

Hi, but where Francis William Stanley and Mary Jackini lived?
when was born Francis Willian Stanley?
the her siblings names? they met in Pennsylvania.... but where?
all details that you can add could be helpful, because it are many Mary Stanley decesead and for a good help we can know more...
thanks,
suanj

ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Jackini...? Various Sp.? Reply with quote

4 Dec 1944 Pennsylvania Marriage License for Francis Stanley and Mary "Jakini"
Includes her birth date as 18 Jul 1923, and her parents as Albert Jakini and Anna Burtoni. Also gives her birthplace as Pittsburgh, PA not Italy.

img820.imageshack.us/i...4/eklc.jpg

Biff

"You live as long as you are remembered." -- Russian proverb
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Jackini...? Various Sp.? Reply with quote

Father Albert's WWII Draft Reg Card
Birthplace Bova, Reggio Calabria province

img407.imageshack.us/i...6/k0tb.jpg

Biff

Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Jackini...? Various Sp.? Reply with quote

1910 immigration record for mother Giovanna Maria Bertone
Last residence and place of birth: Bova
Destination: Sharpsburg PA to join husband Umberto Giacchino?

Page 1
www.ellisisland.org/EI...&line=0016

Page 2
www.ellisisland.org/EI...&line=0016

Biff

suanj
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Jackini...? Various Sp.? Reply with quote

great find Biff!
suanj

ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
cuddles

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Jackini...? Various Sp.? Reply with quote

Wow, thank you so much Biff!! Everything that you found fits what I know about my family, and you're right, my mother said that her mother's birth certificate had said she was born in PA, although she was actually born in Italy. The only thing that I can't seem to figure out is the real Italian spelling of Jakini... I'm figuring that the 'Umberto Giacchino' on the immigration record must be my grandmother's father, but I'm pretty sure that that's not the right sp. I can't quite decipher the letters on the image.
I was also wondering what websites/references you used to find the marriage license and WWII draft card, or if you recommend any good research sites? And do you think any of those commercial sites like Ancestry.com and such are worth the $$?
Suanj, my grandmother's siblings' names are Albert Jr., William, Jacqueline (went by Jackie), and Virginia (went by Ginny). I don't know when their exact birthdates are, but I think except for Albert Jr, they were all born in PA and in March 1938 Albert Jr. was 16, Mary (my grandmother) was 14, William was 13, Jackie was 8, and Ginny was 4, and their mother, Giovanna Maria [maiden name Bertone (or Burtoni)] Jakini was 45 years old, and Albert Jakini was 53. I know my grandmother and grandfather (Francis William Stanley) met in Allegheny, Pittsburgh, and I think they settled in that area for a while before moving to California. I know their families knew each other before they did, and that he lived more in the country and her family lived in the city area. I don't know what year my grandfather was born... I might be able to find out from my mom though.
Anyways, thank you all so much for your help!! I can't even explain how excited I was when I opened up the links you found, Biff; I've already found out so much more than anyone else in my family has been able to.

Thanks again!
~cuddles
charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Jackini...? Various Sp.? Reply with quote

[b]

from Wikipedia:

The Italian alphabet is a variant of the Latin alphabet used by the Italian language. The base alphabet consists of 21 letters—five vowels (A, E, I, O U) and 16 consonants. Letters J, K, W, X and Y are not part of the proper alphabet, and are used only for loanwords and foreign names (with very few exceptions, like in the native names Jesolo and Bettino Craxi).

[b]

Researching: Corato, Provincia di Bari in Puglia e San Giorgio Albanese, Provincia di Cosenza in Calabria.
  Page 1 of 1All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: