Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › General › General Discussion Groups › Still looking for grandfather's birth record.

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Still looking for grandfather's birth record.
Want to share something new or just have fun? You can do that here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index General Discussion Groups Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lilbees
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Still looking for grandfather's birth record. Reply with quote

All my research started with my grandfather, Vincenzo Rescigno. I have several thousand records of family, his siblings, parents, on through my 4x great grandparents. He was born in Tunisia in 1884. There is some question that he may have been younger. I am in possession of his immigration papers which started the whole thing. It states 1884 but when he died my grandmother, wote on his death certificate that he was born either 1884 or 1885. I have written so many letters and spent many Euros to the Catholic Dioceses in Tunisia, who are the keeper of the records there, but still not able to come up with nothing. I have also been in contact with the Italian Embassy with no luck. The family moved from Lercara Friddi after 1882 to Tunisia where he was born. The next child born was his sister Anna Maria was born in 1888 in Gabes. The child before Vincenzo was born in Lercara in 1882. Civil and Church records were checked in Lercara with nothing and they can't find him in Tunisia.

Any suggestions or help?

lilbees

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Still looking for grandfather's birth record. Reply with quote

It's frustrating that you can't find anything on him. Is there a possible he went by another name (nickname or middle name?) As far as the year of birth goes, I wouldn't be surprised if that was wrong - he may have had to lie about that or he honestly didn't know. I found our ancestors really didn't place too much emphasis on when they were born choosing to round up or down to suit the situation.

Calabria Exchange
lilbees
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Still looking for grandfather's birth record. Reply with quote

Thanks for replying Nuccia. You are correct about his birthday. When he died my grandmother had a problem giving his birth date. She was not sure whether it was 1884 or 1885 and that is what she stated on his death certificate. I do believe he was younger than the age given on his arrival manifest. I did have the Archdioceses check other years to no avail. He was born between the time they left Lercara Friddi and moved to Tunisia. I have several different towns they lived in before settling down in Gabes. They also attended different churches there as well. I think a lot of the problem is poor record keeping in two of the older churches. The Archdioceses had great difficulty locating the birth records of the last 4 children who were baptized in different churches even though their residence was the same.

The Italian Embassy was no help either. My great grandmother tried to make sure the children were registered in Lercara but many births were not forwarded to the Comune. The Embassy will not cooperate in any search of information for me and will only refer to the Church Dioceses. I even called the main Embassy in Washington to see if they could help but to no avail.

Other than going there my self and going to the Archdioceses I can see no other way to attempt to find his record.

Thank you once again,
lilbees

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Still looking for grandfather's birth record. Reply with quote

That's awful - why did the Embassy say they wouldn't help? And I understand may records weren't forwarded to the Comuni - I am having a heck of a time with a few of my own too. I'm sorry if you have already answered this and I missed it but what about military records - have you tried requesting those?

Calabria Exchange
lilbees
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Still looking for grandfather's birth record. Reply with quote

Hi Nuccia. Good luck with the Embassy. I have contacted everyone I could in Tunisia from the local Embassy, to the Church and to the Civil authorities. The Civil authorities did not deal with Italian citizens or citizens of any other countries. If they were not Tunisian they have nothing.

As for military records, I was told that if the birth was not recorded in the local comuni they would have nothing for him.

You know, at the time the children in question were born, 1884-1896. there was no civil unrest or wars. That is what is frustrating.

I do believe the overworked personnel in the Archdioceses in Tunisia have made a huge effort on my behalf with no luck. Again, I do believe it goes back to the local churches and their record keeping. Much like the Embassy, not forwarding the information to the Comune. Also a factor, is the willingness of the local priests to look as well.

Nuccia, once again, thank you for your time.

lilbees

Page 1 of 1All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index General Discussion Groups Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: