Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Mar 12, 2017 at 21:49:52

Calabria Record
Last post by JoeBlack36 in Southern Italy on Mar 11, 2017 at 15:53:00

Cassivi from Ragusa
Last post by Italysearcher in Southern Italy on Feb 28, 2017 at 16:54:25

FONTANA-PENSA marriage between 1800 and 1814 in Como
Last post by denby in Northern Italy on Feb 27, 2017 at 00:00:12

Online Vital Records
Last post by debbiemfit in General Discussion Groups on Feb 26, 2017 at 21:15:51

Help finding city
Last post by Italysearcher in Southern Italy on Feb 05, 2017 at 11:10:06

Audino Birth Certificate - Benestare
Last post by drusilla in Where do I begin? on Jan 27, 2017 at 00:23:52

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › Finding my Cardamone family from Calabria

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Finding my Cardamone family from Calabria

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregbx48

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Finding my Cardamone family from Calabria Reply with quote

I would like to find out what town in Calabria my great grandfather came from. His name was Frank (Francesco I assume) Cardamone b. 1878 and his father was Carmine Cardamone b. 1843. Frank Cardamone immigrated to New York in 1892 I believe at the age of 14 or 15 and married my great grandmother, Salvatora DiGiorgio from Palermo, Sicily on July 26,1903 in New York and subsequently had 9 children. Frank died on 11/11/1950 in Yonkers, NY.

I appreciate any assistance that you can provide because I would love to find out more about Frank and Carmine Cardamone and one day visit the town where they came from.
Thank you,
Gregory Forshey
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding my Cardamone family from Calabria Reply with quote

Possible 1900 manifest for Francesco's father Carmine

Age 58, born about 1842
Last residence: Serrastretta
Destination: Mount Vernon NY to join son Francesco

www.ellisisland.org/EI...&line=0024

Biff

"You live as long as you are remembered." -- Russian proverb
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding my Cardamone family from Calabria Reply with quote

1910 census for Francesco and family with father Carmine and brother Luigi, age 37 born about 1883.

img32.imageshack.us/im...2/0fz5.jpg

Biff

Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding my Cardamone family from Calabria Reply with quote

Brother Luigi's 1908 manifest.

Age 25, born about 1883
Last residence and place of birth: Serrastretta
Destination: Yonkers NY to join father Carmine

Page 1
www.ellisisland.org/EI...&line=0020

Page 2
www.ellisisland.org/EI...&line=0020

Biff

gregbx48

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding my Cardamone family from Calabria Reply with quote

That is amazing that you were able to find that so quickly. Thank you so much. I welcome any and all information about them. I actually am going to see my great aunt Marguerite Cardamone this weekend to tell her about this. How could I go about finding documation from that town, Serrastretta?
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding my Cardamone family from Calabria Reply with quote

Possible 1891 immigration record for C and F Cardamone (549-550). C(armine?) is 48, born about 1843; F(rancesco?) 16, born about 1875.
Vessel Australia; arrival in New York 9 May 1891.

img837.imageshack.us/i...5/3xqv.jpg

Biff

gregbx48

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding my Cardamone family from Calabria Reply with quote

Is it possible that they came to NY in 1891 for an intitial visit then returned to Italy? I know that Francesco came to NY to settle permanently before his father, Carmine. Thank you so much.
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding my Cardamone family from Calabria Reply with quote

Possible 1900 census for Francesco boarding at a home in Yonkers. Date of birth is shown as Oct 1874. Line 98

img571.imageshack.us/i...8/5zly.jpg

Biff

gregbx48

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding my Cardamone family from Calabria Reply with quote

That makes a lot of sense since that is right where they ended up living. The last name is a little bit off but that could also be due to error on the part of the census worker or the house owner right?
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding my Cardamone family from Calabria Reply with quote

It's a good possibility for his 1900 census.

To get a copy of Francesco's birth record, you'll need to request a copy from the town of Serrastretta. Your request should be written in Italian and include a self-addressed return envelope. There are a couple of form letters online for you to use which I can post links to and I have the town's address. But we should try to determine his birth year to ensure we get a positive response. Do you have any documentation other than the censuses that he was born in 1878? Do you have a copy of his marriage record and if so is his age or birth year on it and is his mother's name listed? My guess is that his mother's name was Rachela since that was the name of his first daughter.

Biff

gregbx48

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding my Cardamone family from Calabria Reply with quote

I would greatly appreciate it if you could post those links and the address to the town of Serrastretta where I must mail the forms. I don't know if my great aunt remembers her father or mother's birthdays but I will ask her. That would be a great help.
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Finding my Cardamone family from Calabria Reply with quote

Address for Serrastretta to request vital records:

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Serrastretta
Via Municipio, 1
88040 Serrastretta (CZ)
Italy

Form Letter Generator:
www.circolocalabrese.o...ecords.asp

Biff

gregbx48

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding my Cardamone family from Calabria Reply with quote

Thank you so much. If I write to them with this request are they sure to reply?
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Finding my Cardamone family from Calabria Reply with quote

That would depend on who is working there and their workload. Some towns have been known to reply, others have not. Sometimes follow up letters or phone calls are required. Send this out as Biff suggests. If you do not hear from them within a month let us know and I can help you draft something a bit more personal up. As a side, I have Cardamone in my family tree as well except they were from another town.

Calabria Exchange
gregbx48

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding my Cardamone family from Calabria Reply with quote

Thank you very much Nuccia. I will do that and hopefully I will meet with positive results. I will keep you updated.
Thanks.
Greg
  Page 1 of 2All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: