x
Toggle Content Register or Login  -  September 24, 2017, 8:40 am
Toggle Content User Info
Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

Bastianelli Sant Elia Fiumerapido or Altina
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Sep 23, 2017 at 18:29:38

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by liviomoreno in Southern Italy on Sep 23, 2017 at 05:52:40

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by liviomoreno in Where do I begin? on Sep 23, 2017 at 05:41:40

RESEACHING LUCIA NAPOLI DELIANOUVA
Last post by nuccia in Where do I begin? on Sep 22, 2017 at 06:13:48

Surname Serafini from Barga
Last post by Libby in Northern Italy on Sep 04, 2017 at 03:47:22

Sant'Elia Fiumerapido - De Filippis
Last post by Marchpatty in Central Italy on Aug 24, 2017 at 23:45:06

PUGLIESE OR VALEO
Last post by Biff83 in Central Italy on Aug 05, 2017 at 20:14:08

PUGLIESE OR VALEO
Last post by Biff83 in Southern Italy on Aug 05, 2017 at 20:13:41

PUGLIESE OR VALEO
Last post by Biff83 in Northern Italy on Aug 05, 2017 at 01:30:23

Ambrogio Bianchi
Last post by debbiemfit in Central Italy on Jul 31, 2017 at 17:49:19

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › Questioning if my surname spelling changed?

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Questioning if my surname spelling changed?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LG15012

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Questioning if my surname spelling changed? Reply with quote

My father told me that his dad lived in Savelli and his mother was from Cerenzia. Last year we visited my grandmothers family in Cerenzia. They didnt know of my grandfather, but they researched and found a family in Savelli (the next town over) whose last name was similarly spelled. We knew that he had a brother but that is about all that we knew of him. We visited with them but just didnt feel any connection to them at all and they had no relatives that could help us determine if we were related to them. When we went back to Rome I noticed that there were many names in the phone book with identical spelling to my last name. After doing more research on the internet I also found others in Sicily with identical spelling of my last name. Now we are really wondering if the family we met with in Savelli is any relationship to us at all and how can we find out any more information on him. I have one military discharge which says that he is from Catanzaro. Any help is appreciated.
charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: Questioning if my surname spelling changed? Reply with quote

Have you tried to request any records from the Comune where he was born or tried to do your own research with microfilms for the Comune at the Family History Center Library? If you have the timeframe of his birth you should be able to find his Birth Record (Atto di Nascita)

Researching: Corato, Provincia di Bari in Puglia e San Giorgio Albanese, Provincia di Cosenza in Calabria.
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Questioning if my surname spelling changed? Reply with quote

I have some roots in Catanzaro Province. What is the surname? Do you have all your American documents (death certificates, etc)? Perhaps the town name would be on there. What year was your grandfather born?
As for the surname changing, I have seen this happen many times in my researching the Italian records. It has been confirmed by many emails I have received from my websites. Often brothers would have different spellings of the same name. The name on your birth act follows you forever so if they made a mistake registering the birth of a child, that became his name forever.

LG15012

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Questioning if my surname spelling changed? Reply with quote

The only document I have is a US World War II Draft Registration Card, 1942. My grandfathers name is Joseph Galiotto and his birth date is 12 April 1881. His birth place is listed as Catanzaro. Any info is appreciated.
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Questioning if my surname spelling changed? Reply with quote

Could this be his Naturalization Record?

Selected U.S. Naturalization Records - Original Documents, 1790-1974 (World Archives Project)
about Giuseppe Galiotti
Name: Giuseppe Galiotti
[Joe Galiotti]
State: Pennsylvania
Court Type: District Court
Court Location: Western District, Pennsylvania
Naturalization Record Type: Petition for Naturalization
Naturalization Record Number: 42587
Roll Description: (Roll 290) Petitions 42401-42640
Archive: National Archives, Washington, D.C.
Collection Title: Naturalization Petitions of the U.S. District Court, 1820-1930, and Circuit Court, 1820-1911, for the Western District of Pennsylvania
Archive Series: M1537
Archive Roll: 290

Calabria Exchange
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Questioning if my surname spelling changed? Reply with quote

His death info:

Social Security Death Index
about Joe Galiotto
Name: Joe Galiotto
SSN: 199-xx-xxxx
Born: 12 Apr 1881
Died: Jun 1954
State (Year) SSN issued: Pennsylvania (Before 1951)

Calabria Exchange
LG15012

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Questioning if my surname spelling changed? Reply with quote

Yes this is his Naturalization Papers. Thank You. As you can see the last letter of his surname is typed with an i and his writing although very poor is written with an o. We spell our surname with an o. The family in Savelli surname is Galeotti. So we are trying to be sure if this family is actually our relatives. We are hoping that some records may exist indicating our grandfathers parents and any brothers or sisters or even his birth record. We appreciate any info that anybody can find.
liviomoreno
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Questioning if my surname spelling changed? Reply with quote

The petition for naturalization holds twice a double signature: Giuseppe Galiotti and Joe Galiotto, but the typed name is Giuseppe Galiotti alias Joe Galiotti

La mia genealogia
  Page 1 of 1All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: