No staff members are online!
Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

Muscatello
Last post by jnmlasater in Southern Italy on Sep 26, 2017 at 02:09:32

Ambrogio Bianchi Birth Certificate - Rome/Ferentino
Last post by Italysearcher in Where do I begin? on Sep 25, 2017 at 18:47:29

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by Italysearcher in Where do I begin? on Sep 24, 2017 at 18:25:31

Bastianelli Sant Elia Fiumerapido or Altina
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Sep 23, 2017 at 18:29:38

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by liviomoreno in Southern Italy on Sep 23, 2017 at 05:52:40

RESEACHING LUCIA NAPOLI DELIANOUVA
Last post by nuccia in Where do I begin? on Sep 22, 2017 at 06:13:48

Surname Serafini from Barga
Last post by Libby in Northern Italy on Sep 04, 2017 at 03:47:22

Sant'Elia Fiumerapido - De Filippis
Last post by Marchpatty in Central Italy on Aug 24, 2017 at 23:45:06

PUGLIESE OR VALEO
Last post by Biff83 in Central Italy on Aug 05, 2017 at 20:14:08

PUGLIESE OR VALEO
Last post by Biff83 in Southern Italy on Aug 05, 2017 at 20:13:41

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › Iemma Yemma Amie Family

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Iemma Yemma Amie Family

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
choprjohn
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Iemma Yemma Amie Family Reply with quote

Hello im looking for info on my grandparents James Vincent & Rose Yemma. They were born in Calabria Italy, my grandfather 29 Mar. 1878 or 1880. my grand mother in 1881. They were married in Italy in 1903. James immigrated to W. Virginia in 1908 where he worked as a miner, & Rose followed in 1910 with the older children Mary, Nellie, & James who were also born in italy. They had had 9 more children in the US altho they lost one as an infant. They later settled in Syracuse NY where my grandfather was a grocer who had his own store & spent most of their lives. At some point our name was changed from Yemma to Amie "because of pronunciation" but I cant find any record of it. I have some research of my own, I have the 1910, 1920, & the 1930 census, I also have the 1918 draft registration card, SSI & death records on all of them. The 1910 census lists them as James Yam & family, the 1920 as James Games & family, dont know why tho, maybe it was pronunciation thing. These are the facts im sure of, now what i have only heard, my grandfathers first name might have been Gacomo & seeing his middle name is listed as Vincent, James might also be Vincenzo & his last name was spelled Iemma in Calabria. The other family fact is my grandparents were cousins, but dont know if they were from the same birthplace or had the same last name. I have also looked at the Ellis Island site, cant find any records. What I am looking for is to fill in the info i cant find like birth places, if my grandparents had any brothers or sisters, great grandparents on both sides, ships to America & any info that you might provide. Thanx in advance P.S. One last thing, does anyone know what Iemma means or translates to in English?

Last edited by choprjohn on Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Iemma Yemma Amie Family Reply with quote

Hello and Welcome!

On the following site you'll find a couple of newspaper articles relative to the death of James and Rose's infant daughter Josephine who died as a result of burns suffered in a house fire.
Type Yemma in search field; you should find three articles from 1919 in the Syracuse papers.

fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html

Biff

"You live as long as you are remembered." -- Russian proverb
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Iemma Yemma Amie Family Reply with quote

There's actually three articles. The first one said Josephine was expected to recover. I haven't read the others yet. The only Amie I found is a Frank, born about 1920 Native of New York and residing in New York. Thought he might be your relative.

U.S. World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946
about Frank Amie
Name: Frank Amie
Birth Year: 1920
Race: White, citizen (White)
Nativity State or Country: New York
State of Residence: New York

Enlistment Date: 1 Dec 1942
Enlistment State: Maryland
Enlistment City: Baltimore
Branch: Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA
Branch Code: Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA
Grade: Private
Grade Code: Private
Term of Enlistment: Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law
Component: Selectees (Enlisted Men)
Source: Civil Life

Education: 1 year of college
Civil Occupation: Electricians
Marital Status: Single, with dependents
Height: 64
Weight: 127

Calabria Exchange
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Iemma Yemma Amie Family Reply with quote

Where in Calabria exactly is the family from? The town would really help. What was Rose's middle name?

Calabria Exchange
choprjohn
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Iemma Yemma Amie Family Reply with quote

Ciao Nuccia Most of my family is gone so details are difficult at best. I dont know the actual town name but I heard Reggio Calabria many years ago, & Roseanna is the closest thing I can remember for my grandmothers name....Sorry
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Iemma Yemma Amie Family Reply with quote

A possible record for James?

1910 United States Federal Census
about Vincent Penna
Name: Vincent Penna
Age in 1910: 24
[29]
Estimated birth year: abt 1886
[abt 1881]
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Lodger
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Home in 1910: Leadsville, Randolph, West Virginia
Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Year of Immigration: 1908

img705.imageshack.us/i...magexh.jpg

and a close up

img23.imageshack.us/im...agexgo.jpg

Calabria Exchange
choprjohn
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Iemma Yemma Amie Family Reply with quote

Nuccia; I recieved my aunt Nellie nee Maria Carmela Iemma's SSI application today, & it lists her date of birth & birth place as Jan. 26 1909 in Cittanova Reggio Calabria Italy & lists my GF & GM as Vincenzo & Maria Rosa Iemma

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Iemma Yemma Amie Family Reply with quote

Thats great news! I won't bother posting the manifest as I know you have already seen it. So now you need to determine if Maria Rosa's maiden name is actually Dunica or Emma. Perhaps a letter to Italy is in order?

Calabria Exchange
choprjohn
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Iemma Yemma Amie Family Reply with quote

Any tips on WHERE & HOW to send a letter to Italy would be greatly appreciated, also I would need translation help. Would there be a difference in the Calabrian dialect or spelling? Many thanx again Johnnie

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Iemma Yemma Amie Family Reply with quote

You may write a request in English and someone here will translate into Italian for you. It should be fairly straight forward and the letter would only be written in Italian, not dialect. If they were in fact cousins, it would be easier still since you won't have to guess at surnames. Right now your only two possibilities are Iemma and Emma. Iemma is the most common surname of that area, Emma more common in Sicily.

Calabria Exchange
choprjohn
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: Iemma Yemma Amie Family Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, does anyone in here have relatives that came from Cittanova, Reggio Calabria? Just a shot Johnnie

argon1642

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Iemma Yemma Amie Family Reply with quote

HI, the Frank Amie you found sounds like it is my grandfather (Frank Amie Sr.) , one of the younger children of James Vincent. He was fairly active in the Syracuse IBEW local 43. He died in November of 1998. I believe the Obituary was in the Syracuse Post Standard Nov 10th 1998.

John, You may know my father Frank Amie Jr.
choprjohn
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Iemma Yemma Amie Family Reply with quote

Hi Your grandfather Frank Sr was my uncle, which makes Frank Jr my cousin. I was at Franks funeral in 1998. I now live in florida, but talk to your dad every month or so.

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Iemma Yemma Amie Family Reply with quote

I found this birth in West Virgina but I'm not sure if it belongs to Giovanni and Caterina Scarfo (I found them in the ellis island manifests too coming from Cittanova - relations?????)

www.wvculture.org/vrr/...Type=Birth

Calabria Exchange
choprjohn
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Iemma Yemma Amie Family Reply with quote

I have never heard those names before, but could be my grandfathers brother. As far as I know my uncle & both my aunts that were born in or before 1909 were born in Cittanova RC Italy Also my grandmother didnt come to the US until 1910 with her children Guiseppe, 4 Maria, 2 & Carmela 1

Page 1 of 3All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: