Request for extracts ignored by L'ufficio di Stato Civile
Last post by charliemis in Southern Italy on Oct 23, 2017 at 11:38:43

Ambrogio Bianchi Birth Certificate - Rome/Ferentino
Last post by debbiemfit in Where do I begin? on Oct 14, 2017 at 15:28:01

Cardano al Campo, Italy
Last post by Seabreezes1 in Northern Italy on Oct 13, 2017 at 21:58:14

Muscatello
Last post by Biff83 in Southern Italy on Oct 11, 2017 at 15:22:57

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by PrimoMattino in Southern Italy on Oct 03, 2017 at 17:32:46

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by Italysearcher in Where do I begin? on Sep 24, 2017 at 18:25:31

Bastianelli Sant Elia Fiumerapido or Altina
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Sep 23, 2017 at 18:29:38

RESEACHING LUCIA NAPOLI DELIANOUVA
Last post by nuccia in Where do I begin? on Sep 22, 2017 at 06:13:48

Surname Serafini from Barga
Last post by Libby in Northern Italy on Sep 04, 2017 at 03:47:22

Sant'Elia Fiumerapido - De Filippis
Last post by Marchpatty in Central Italy on Aug 24, 2017 at 23:45:06

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › Looking for Versace of Santo Stefano in Aspromonte

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Looking for Versace of Santo Stefano in Aspromonte

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Versace of Santo Stefano in Aspromonte Reply with quote

Jerry you might find this useful as well..

static.immigrants.byu....efault.htm

Calabria Exchange
nffc
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Versace of Santo Stefano in Aspromonte Reply with quote

Hello to everyone,

Nuccia gave me a link to a dissected Birth Act. As I studied it, it inspired me to try to make it more usable. I created a "fill in the blanks" form in MS Word that mirrors the actual form used to record births. Only the data fields are editable and you tab between them entering your data as you go. Save the blank for your next project and save the filled out form by a unique file name. Let me know if it is usable or if it can be improved. I can do others. Enjoy.

Download the file here: www.krauseoflehighvall...TA.PRO.doc

Jerry
lilbees
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for Versace of Santo Stefano in Aspromonte Reply with quote

Being one who loves forms this will be helpful for me with the records I have copied.

Thanks for your hard work. Don't know about anyone else but the marriage/death forms would be great.

lilbees

nffc
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Versace of Santo Stefano in Aspromonte Reply with quote

Thanks Lilbees, looks like I inadvertently left out some of the fields. I will upload an updated form today. Check back.

Jerry
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Versace of Santo Stefano in Aspromonte Reply with quote

Very nice Jerry! I'm glad I inspired someone!! lol lol
Seriously, great job!

Calabria Exchange
nffc
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Versace of Santo Stefano in Aspromonte Reply with quote

Thanks Nuccia. Is this form representative of the majority of birth records? Can you recommend a form for marriage and death that I can work on? Do you think I can really make something of this or is this just an exercise in futility? I am just a greenhorn.

Jerry
nffc
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for Versace of Santo Stefano in Aspromonte Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I got my microfilm for Bovalino and the problems started immediately. The film was half the width of a normal one meaning the images were half the normal size. None of the readers were made to use this kind of film. I jury rigged one reader to make it take the film. I could barely see the text let alone read it. Then I changed out the lens for the one that reads Micofich plates. Now I could barely read the text.

I tried to scan the film at the highest resolution of the scanner at 600 dpi which would make only a minimally acceptable result. No, the software won't allow a file larger than 2MB. I had to set the resolution to 200 dpi to get under that limit. I finally got a scan of the document that is less that 1/2 an inch in width at only 200 dpi. You can guess what the resulting scan looked like.

I next spent hours in Photoshop trying to clean it up to where it is legible. It still looks miserable yet it is all that I could do.

How can anyone do serious research under such constraints. It takes 3 weeks to get a film and then takes 4 hours to rig the reader to find the document you are looking for and when you finally get a scan it looks like dogwoof?

Now I am having trouble translating the text. Can someone give me an assist?

Carmelo Versace Birth Certificate

I am grateful for any help.

Jerry
uantiti
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for Versace of Santo Stefano in Aspromonte Reply with quote

Hi Jerry,
the act is ok. I've seen worse ones. The town is Bovalino, the surname is Versaci and it's a girl not a boy. The act is # 60 dated June 15, 1896 but the girl was born on 13th at 6.30 but it doesn't say if it's p.m. or a.m.
The declarant is Francesco Versaci (who's also the father) 39 years old, shoemaker. The mother is Giuseppa Paola Todarello, weaver.
The girl was named Carmela Maria.
Witnesses were Giuseppe Catalano, 40 years old, tailor, and Domenico Cianci, 50 yeras old.

The declarant signed but not the witnesses as they couln't read/write.

Ada

Researching: Agazzone, Beretta, Bertona, Carbonati, Castelletta, Ferrari, Gallo, Guglielmetti, Marchini, Mascagni, Nicolazzi, Nobile, Rossi, Sacco, Tosone - gone to USA from Bogogno, province of Novara, Piedmont, Italy.
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Versace of Santo Stefano in Aspromonte Reply with quote

Jerry - theres nothing wrong with the scan - it's actually legible! Ok, so next time try scanning at 300 or 400 on TIFF setting with is a larger and higher resolution. You can convert it to a jpg in photoshop. If you have the original I would love to see it (before you edited it. Can you email it to me?

Calabria Exchange
nffc
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Versace of Santo Stefano in Aspromonte Reply with quote

Thanks to Ada & Nuccia for the help and suggestions.

The only reason the scan looks like it does is because I spent hours cleaning it up in Photoshop. Believe me, it did not look like this when I started. All for naught. It is not Carmelo born in August, it is Carmela born in June. I couldn't read it until I got it home on modern equipment. The scan at 200dpi was 1.2MB of the 2MB limit imposed by the scanner so no chance of getting higher resolution. The film reader, scanner, and software are ancient and I don't know how anybody gets any real work done because it is such a slog to get a reasonable product.

Carmela Versaci untouched

To Nuccia: I uploaded the original scan to my webspace for easy download. It is a TIF file and does not load in a browser.

Jerry
uantiti
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Versace of Santo Stefano in Aspromonte Reply with quote

Jerry,
I appreciate you cleaned the picture but I could read it on the other version too. So next time post it as it is. If it's too bad I'll tell you.
There should be at the beginning of every year, an index with the list of names in alphabetical order. Also, there should be a "Indice decennale" (Ten-year index) which could help you find the name you are looking for. To be sure it's a male or a female you have to take a look at the line towards the middle of the page, just above the name given to the child, where the officer states the sex:

"è nato un bambino di sesso...femminile che egli mi presenta e a cui dà i nomi di Carmela Maria."

femminile = feminine

maschile = masculine.

Ada

Researching: Agazzone, Beretta, Bertona, Carbonati, Castelletta, Ferrari, Gallo, Guglielmetti, Marchini, Mascagni, Nicolazzi, Nobile, Rossi, Sacco, Tosone - gone to USA from Bogogno, province of Novara, Piedmont, Italy.
nffc
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for Versace of Santo Stefano in Aspromonte Reply with quote

Sorry about venting on the forum. I can't help feeling the system is designed to be frustrating. I found what I thought was the index for Bovalino, and was so excited to see what I thought was Carmelo that I did not search further. I will re-read the film and look for all the acts for Bovalino and for more indexes. I will re-post the results.

Thanks for understanding.

Jerry
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for Versace of Santo Stefano in Aspromonte Reply with quote

Jerry,
Why are you apologizing? We've all vented at some point or another so you're in good company on that one! Smile
Now, as for the Bovalina Indici, they *should* be at the end of each year (Reggio Calabria films are backwards). They should look something like this:

mofrad.net/ardore/Nati...iceA_C.jpg

Depending on what film you have and what year, the names could be in alphabetical order by first or last name. You will be able to tell immediately if all the names are Antonio, Antonia, etc. you will need to look at "C" names for your Carmelo. If they are in indexed by last name, go to the "V" indici and see if there are any Versace, Versaci. Also, you may be lucky and the indici will liast the parents names, and birthdate and Act Number. Once you have located that, you can go backwards on the film directly to that Act Number.

Now, since you said the images are small, you do have another option - Just scan the indici for each year and save them to a flash drive, or CD and view them at home where you can make them larger and search easier. As for the 2 MB limit, I am not sure what film reader/viewer/copier they have but my files are usually smaller than that even if I do scan as TIFFS (which is what you did). 200 dpi is fine..it's completely legible.

Once you have them, I can tell you an easier (and quicker way to clean up the acts. I used to take hours as well on them and quite frankly, for printing, usually the original scans are best anyway - the dark spots do not need to be completely removed most of the time. Once you resize and clean them up, they look great online but they don't print so well.

Perhaps trying printing the TIFF file, and then scan at home at a higher resolution, smaller file and see what happens - if you what to play that is.

I hope this helps a bit. Very Happy

Calabria Exchange
nffc
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for Versace of Santo Stefano in Aspromonte Reply with quote

All very good suggestions Nuccia. I now know where I went wrong - partially. There are two Bovalinos, one near the shore and called Bovalino Marina and the other is in the Mts. called Bovalino Superiore. M before S. Duh, I should have seen it. Carmelo was born in Superiore.

The system IS designed to be frustrating. LDS does not want anyone obtaining high resolution images (over 2MB). LIke ancestry.com they want control over who gets access and when. I suspect ancestry.com is paying a fee to use the US census indexed by LDS. Plastered on every image is the warning the image is for personal use only.

Here is the real Carmelo Versace

The document was broken in two pieces and I recombined them. Other than that, it is untouched. I did convert the TIF file to JPG so it is visible in a browser. It was scanned at 300dpi and was 1.7MB in size. I can see Vincenzo Versace is the father and Cristina Piromalli is the mother. Other than that, I cannot read it. Help!

Jerry
uantiti
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for Versace of Santo Stefano in Aspromonte Reply with quote

In fact the other act mentioned the baby was born in Marina but I assumed you knew it. Sorry.
This one says Bovalino Superiore
The act is # 29 dated July 29, 1896 but the boy was born at 3.15 a.m. on the 27th.
Father: Vincenzo Versace, 37 years old, shoemaker
Mother: Cristina Piromalli, weaver
I cannot read the name of the street, looks Gaetano Roffo or Rioffo?

At the end of the page the officer made a correction, he says that the month mentioned at the beginning of the act should be read August instead of July. So the boy was born on August 27, 1896

Ada

Page 3 of 4All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: