Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › General › About Us › New Member Researching CIPOLLINI and BARNI in Tuscany

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
New Member Researching CIPOLLINI and BARNI in Tuscany
Members introductions, surnames, websites and blogs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quill325

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: New Member Researching CIPOLLINI and BARNI in Tuscany Reply with quote

Hello, Everyone!
My name is Michele Eleanor Cipollini Almeida. I have been researching my paternal British family history since March 2001 and my maternal French Canadian family history for the past couple of years. I started researching my Italian ancestry about one year ago.
Here is my Italian family history so far...
My paternal great-grandfather Gesue CIPOLLINI (Cessue on his gravestone) was born in 1841 in Lamporecchio, Pistoia, Tuscany, Italy.
My paternal great-grandmother Faustina BARNI was born 1850/52 (depending on which record to believe) in Montevettolini, Pistoia, Tuscany, Italy.
They had 6 children: twins Armando & Eugenia, born August 15, 1876 (family story claims there were triplets not twins, a brother went to live in Brazil); Alduina born in 1881; Giusto born March 8, 1885 in St. Theresa, Lucca, Tuscany; Guido born October 2, 1888 in Lucca, Tuscany; and my grandfather, Casimiro, born August 24, 1893 in Monsummano Terme, Pistoia, Tuscany.
Some of the children immigrated to the USA (Fall River, Massachusetts) via Ellis Island before their parents: Giusto in 1906; Armando in 1907; Guido in 1910; Casimiro and Alduina in 1911 whose last residence was Porcari, Lucca, Tuscany, Italy.
On June 16, 1913, aboard the S.S.Venezia, my great-grandparents Gesue and Faustina, along with their daughter Eugenia and another relative (whose info I can't read) arrived at the Port of Providence, RI. On the ship's manifest, Capannori, Lucca, Tuscany was recorded as their last residence in Italy and that the closest relative in Italy was a brother, Raffaele CIPOLLINI of Capannori.

Gesue was 72y, suffering from curvature of the spine and senility when he arrived here. He evidently died before the 1920 US census since Faustina was listed as a widow then. Faustina died on September 11, 1936 in Fall River, MA. On her death cert, Faustina's father is recorded as Michael BARNI. Their son, my grandfather Casimiro Cipollini, Sr. died on December 27, 1950. Unfortunately, I never met him.

I found an interesting piece of family info in the book "Leading Americans of Italian Descent in Massachusetts" - Gesue was in the royal guard in Italy and fought under Garibaldi at Solferino.

Another intriguing tidbit...in the hamlet of Monvettolini where my great-grandmother Faustina was born, is the Via dei Barni. I wonder "what came first"...a family named BARNI after the street or a street named after the BARNI family. And...The Medici family had a villa in Montevettolini since it was a favorite hunting area of the family. I wonder if my BARNI ancestors had any connections to the Medicis. Would that be why there is a Via dei Barni? I must admit that would be "something" to be connected to such an historic family.

I have some pictures of my family when they were living here in the US.

I hope to connect with other CIPOLLINI and BARNI researchers through this wonderful group! Perhaps to find some relatives/descendants. I look forward to helping other members if I am able!

Regards,
Michele
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: New Member Researching CIPOLLINI and BARNI in Tuscany Reply with quote

HI Michele..

Welcome to Gente. Sorry I am late in responding but we have been tied up here with Carole's passing. I hope we can help you with your research - we will try our best.

Calabria Exchange
Quill325

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member Researching CIPOLLINI and BARNI in Tuscany Reply with quote

Thank you, Nuccia! I am very happy to be a part of the group. I look forward to comments, questions, help regarding my research and to helping other members with their research.

My condolences to Carole's family and friends. In going through all the postings, I saw what an important, kind and helpful member Carole was.

Warm Regards,
Michele
Fall River, Masssachusetts
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member Researching CIPOLLINI and BARNI in Tuscany Reply with quote

Thanks Michele. We will miss her very much.

Have you looked at the Data Banks list of immigrants to Brazil? I have found several BARNI from Pistoias heading that way but so far not one Cipollini.

However there were several Cipollini's that traveled to Argentina which you might want to look over.

Calabria Exchange
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member Researching CIPOLLINI and BARNI in Tuscany Reply with quote

There also are several great links here:

www.apellidositalianos.com.ar/

Calabria Exchange
Quill325

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: New Member Researching CIPOLLINI and BARNI in Tuscany Reply with quote

Hi, Nuccia~
Thank you for the info about BARNIs in Brazil! I hadn't thought of checking there! I will check on the CIPOLLINIs who went to Argentina. There is a family story that Armando and Eugenia's triplet went to South America! Maybe I will find him!
Thanks also for the link - I will check those out as well!
My sister heads to Tuscany next week for a week in the area where our great-grandparents and grandfather were born, before going on a Mediterranean cruise. She will be "armed" with some family data and pictures. I found one BARNI living in Montevettolini where our Great-grandmother Faustina BARNI was born! Maybe my sister will meet this man!
Thanks so much again for your interest and help.
Michele
  Page 1 of 1All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Jump to: