Request for extracts ignored by L'ufficio di Stato Civile
Last post by charliemis in Southern Italy on Oct 23, 2017 at 11:38:43

Ambrogio Bianchi Birth Certificate - Rome/Ferentino
Last post by debbiemfit in Where do I begin? on Oct 14, 2017 at 15:28:01

Cardano al Campo, Italy
Last post by Seabreezes1 in Northern Italy on Oct 13, 2017 at 21:58:14

Muscatello
Last post by Biff83 in Southern Italy on Oct 11, 2017 at 15:22:57

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by PrimoMattino in Southern Italy on Oct 03, 2017 at 17:32:46

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by Italysearcher in Where do I begin? on Sep 24, 2017 at 18:25:31

Bastianelli Sant Elia Fiumerapido or Altina
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Sep 23, 2017 at 18:29:38

RESEACHING LUCIA NAPOLI DELIANOUVA
Last post by nuccia in Where do I begin? on Sep 22, 2017 at 06:13:48

Surname Serafini from Barga
Last post by Libby in Northern Italy on Sep 04, 2017 at 03:47:22

Sant'Elia Fiumerapido - De Filippis
Last post by Marchpatty in Central Italy on Aug 24, 2017 at 23:45:06

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › Casstrolibero Searchi Romeo/Giordano/DeBuono/Aiello/Paura

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Casstrolibero Searchi Romeo/Giordano/DeBuono/Aiello/Paura

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sherina

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Casstrolibero Searchi Romeo/Giordano/DeBuono/Aiello/Paura Reply with quote

Hello, if you have any information on the following families please email me. Or if you know how I can obtain information from Castrolibero please also email me. All were born or lived in Castrolibero. Thank you!

Maria DiBuono or DeBuono (born abt 1855)
Children: Giuseppe (b1872), Francesco, Pasquale, Gespare, Gaetano
Father of boys may be Stefano Giordano. All sons changed their
surname to Giordano when they were older.
****Giuseppe was born DeBuono but had the surname Aiello. He may have been adopted. He was buried with surname Giordano
*****Francesco was born DeBuono but later had the surname Torchia. He may have been adopted.

Dominico Romeo (born abt 1870-1930) and Maria Martino (1880-1907
Children: Giuseppina, Fiorina, Evelina
Maria Martino died abt 1907. Dominico remarried ?
Domenico owned land in Fontanesi, and may have lived there.
Domenico buried in Castrolibero...I don't know the cemetary

Gelsomina Paura (born abt 1880)
Husband Giuseppe Aiello (DeBuono, Giordano)
Children: Stefano Aiello, Ernesto Aiello, Gaetano Aiello
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Casstrolibero Searchi Romeo/Giordano/DeBuono/Aiello/Paura Reply with quote

Sherina wrote:
Hello, if you have any information on the following families please email me. Or if you know how I can obtain information from Castrolibero please also email me. All were born or lived in Castrolibero. Thank you!
Castrolibero records available at your local Family History Center can be found here

Sherina wrote:
Maria DiBuono or DeBuono (born abt 1855)
She was probably born under the name DiBuono, if not her parents were. Around the 1850-1865 time frame most surnames in the province that began with Di were changed to De. Why this occurred I do not know but that is what happened in Montalto Uffugo (also located in Cosenza Province).

Sherina wrote:
Children: Giuseppe (b1872), Francesco, Pasquale, Gespare, Gaetano
Father of boys may be Stefano Giordano. All sons changed their
surname to Giordano when they were older.
****Giuseppe was born DeBuono but had the surname Aiello. He may have been adopted. He was buried with surname Giordano
*****Francesco was born DeBuono but later had the surname Torchia. He may have been adopted.
Order the microfilms I sent you the link to above and you will see what names the children were given at birth. I am not sure if you have the passenger manifests for this family or not but there are several possibilities as to why they had multiple surnames. My first hunch would be that their names may have been misunderstood at the port they came in to. Women never changed their surname when they married so she may have traveled as DeBuono and it may have been assumed her children had the same name. There are other possibilities as well.
Have you checked the Official Cosenza State Archive ? You may be able to find records there. Not all towns have the records available yet but brief extractions should be available. If there are no records available yet you should be careful on there since most of your surnames are very common in Cosenza.
Good luck!

Sherina

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Casstrolibero Searchi Romeo/Giordano/DeBuono/Aiello/Paura Reply with quote

Thanks Cathy. I have the birth certificates however the Fathers name was not listed. Maria DiBuono's Father presented the babies. Thanks for the link, I've never been there. I'll try finding more information.
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Casstrolibero Searchi Romeo/Giordano/DeBuono/Aiello/Pau Reply with quote

If the mother's name was on the birth act, these children were not adopted. How do the birth acts list the father? Ignoto? Can you post them so we can see them?

Sherina

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Casstrolibero Searchi Romeo/Giordano/DeBuono/Aiello/Pau Reply with quote

Cathy, thanks for your help.

Unfortunately, this system will not allow me to add my zip file. ?? Requirements say it's unlimited when a zip. Frustrating. I also tried it as a jpg and it said it was too big. ?? I'll keep trying.

Please note that Maria Di Buono is listed as Mom however I believe Father is "unknown".

I suspect that Giuseppe was adopted by the Aiello family when he was older. Rumor is there were too many kids to feed... 5 that I know of.

The reason I suspect adoption is that the next eldest, Francesco was born Di Buono and was know to adopted by the Torchia family.
That is fact.

Your thoughts are appreciated.
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Casstrolibero Searchi Romeo/Giordano/DeBuono/Aiello/Pau Reply with quote

Sherina wrote:
Cathy, thanks for your help.

Unfortunately, this system will not allow me to add my zip file. ?? Requirements say it's unlimited when a zip. Frustrating. I also tried it as a jpg and it said it was too big. ?? I'll keep trying.

Please note that Maria Di Buono is listed as Mom however I believe Father is "unknown".

I suspect that Giuseppe was adopted by the Aiello family when he was older. Rumor is there were too many kids to feed... 5 that I know of.

The reason I suspect adoption is that the next eldest, Francesco was born Di Buono and was know to adopted by the Torchia family.
That is fact.

Your thoughts are appreciated.
If the father was unknown it would say incerto or incognito. However, sometimes it said that even if the father was known. Back then, a father had to acknowledge formally that he was the father for his name to be listed on any official documents. Also, if Maria was a widow, it is possible that she married again in the church but never filed her marriage at the city hall (stato civile) which would mean her marriage would have been acknowledged by the Church (and by God) but not by the state. If that is the case, the children would have been given her surname. Many children were given to other people - mostly other family members due to financial reasons or no one was at home to care for the child during the day. Official legal adoptions probably occurred but in cases I saw in my own Cosenza town most were not done legally but the children did use the surname of their "adopted" family. This happened with my own grandfather's half sister's child). I have found processcetti records (related to marriage) that mentioned nothing about the child's birth father but I have also found documents that did. If the boys married in Italy, I would look for all marriage records I could find (atti di matrimonio, pubblicazioni and processcetti). The microfilms I mentioned should have those records. Those may give you a good idea of Maria DiBuono's family and if they were family, who the Aiello's and Torchia's were.

Sherina

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Casstrolibero Searchi Romeo/Giordano/DeBuono/Aiello/Pau Reply with quote

Cathy, the link you provided to view atti di matrimonio, pubblicazioni and processcetti is through the family history library. I am only able to view the records at the center. Do you know of a site that I can search and view those records online?

You have a lot of experience. Where did you find the Lions share of information? Did you travel to Italy to do a search? I've been at this since December and I'm open to learning better search techniques. Currently I am using ancestry.com; Gente di Mare Italia, and thanks to you I am now using the official Cosenza Civil Arhives.
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Casstrolibero Searchi Romeo/Giordano/DeBuono/Aiello/Pau Reply with quote

There is currently no where to search online. If you want to look at the town records you have to order the microfilms at a center. I have been reading the records at my center for years. I copy them (scan) so I can read them later (my Italian is not great). It is a 45 minute drive from my residence but well worth it. The records will eventually be online but that could take many years. If you do not have a center near you, another option would be to hire a researcher but plan to spend a lot of money for that. Another option (if you do not need that many records) would be to find what you want on the Cosenza Archive, then order a copy from the LDS site I gave you. They charge $4 to 2 records I believe and you will need to provide the microfilm number. I have ordered twice from them - the first time in took several months for me to receive my documents and the second time it took less than a month. You probably will be unable to order processcetti records this way but the marriage, marriage banns, birth and death records may be ordered this way. Since many of these records are 2 pages, you may be charged additional money for extra pages.

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Casstrolibero Searchi Romeo/Giordano/DeBuono/Aiello/Paura Reply with quote

You can order some of the records directly from the Cosenza State Archive site. The cost is minimal - they will send you an invoice for payment which they request be put in an envelope (they ask for cash) folded in between paper and they will send the records to your home. I received a few records this way and it did take about a month.

Keep in mind records with a pre in front of them can not usually be located by them (as I found out) but they will tell you.

Calabria Exchange
  Page 1 of 1All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: