Request for extracts ignored by L'ufficio di Stato Civile
Last post by charliemis in Southern Italy on Oct 23, 2017 at 11:38:43

Ambrogio Bianchi Birth Certificate - Rome/Ferentino
Last post by debbiemfit in Where do I begin? on Oct 14, 2017 at 15:28:01

Cardano al Campo, Italy
Last post by Seabreezes1 in Northern Italy on Oct 13, 2017 at 21:58:14

Muscatello
Last post by Biff83 in Southern Italy on Oct 11, 2017 at 15:22:57

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by PrimoMattino in Southern Italy on Oct 03, 2017 at 17:32:46

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by Italysearcher in Where do I begin? on Sep 24, 2017 at 18:25:31

Bastianelli Sant Elia Fiumerapido or Altina
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Sep 23, 2017 at 18:29:38

RESEACHING LUCIA NAPOLI DELIANOUVA
Last post by nuccia in Where do I begin? on Sep 22, 2017 at 06:13:48

Surname Serafini from Barga
Last post by Libby in Northern Italy on Sep 04, 2017 at 03:47:22

Sant'Elia Fiumerapido - De Filippis
Last post by Marchpatty in Central Italy on Aug 24, 2017 at 23:45:06

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › The "Ark is a moving"

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
The "Ark is a moving"

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcurri
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The "Ark is a moving" Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Hey Biff, you're a genius! (but don't put your crown away yet)
O.K. We have Benardino (Ben), Carmen (Charley), and Francesco (Frank) in Johnsnbery, Pa. in 1905.
(interesting) Luigi departs Carmen from Glasgow, Scotland in 1907. Luigi then settles in Onongaga, N.Y., Manhattan, N.Y., Cortland, N.Y., and then moves on to Detroit, Mich.
Frank, who you mention, was in the US Service in WWI. I do recall traveling with my parents to see Uncle Frank in the VA Hospital in Bath, N.Y. Uncle Frank had a leg removed, when or how I never new.
Here's your "crowning" question: You sent Benardino ship manifest information aboard the Konigin Luise departing Naples in Aug. 26, 1905 and arriving in NY, NY on Sept 6, 1905. The nearest departure for the Konigin Luise from Naples is Aug. 1, 1905. In back checking Benardino on the Aug. 1st. manifest I find no record. Error? P.S. Hang in there with me, Biff.
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: The "Ark is a moving" Reply with quote

tcurri wrote:
The nearest departure for the Konigin Luise from Naples is Aug. 1, 1905. In back checking Benardino on the Aug. 1st. manifest I find no record. Error? P.S. Hang in there with me, Biff.

The previous arrival for the Konigin Luise from Naples was on 1 August 1905. The ship then returned to Italy, picked up another load of passengers about 26 Aug and arrived in NY in Sep--that was the trip Bernardino was on.

BTW, I'm not a genius just someone with a little talent and resources willing to help others.

Biff

"You live as long as you are remembered." -- Russian proverb
tcurri
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The "Ark is a moving" Reply with quote

Biff, don't know if you got my last message ending with "get back to you and keep well". Did you get it? tom
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: The "Ark is a moving" Reply with quote

Tom,

For whatever reason I never received your last message.

Let us know how you want to proceed from here. I'm sure that whatever domestic records are available have been found and posted except for some city directory listings for Cortland which don't contain too much information.
If you're interested in acquiring Italian records, you can either request them from the town or check the microfilms available at a Family History Center.

Biff

tcurri
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The "Ark is a moving" Reply with quote

Hello Biff, The message I composed for you last evening was a heart-felt, and perhaps wordy, expression of appreciation for the time, expertise, and patience extended to me throughout my search. In rereading the message I suspected that something disturbed my monitor and the message disappeared. Hoping that the message was sent, but not sure, I sent you the follow up check.
In short, I'm now trying to put down in chronological and documented order the events you and I have uncovered. Please understand Biff that I hope we can continue working together. If by chance I have exhausted my time with you I intend to continue my search. This being the case I hope the "pen pal bond" that I feel for your help will some how continue. Tom
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The "Ark is a moving" Reply with quote

tcurri wrote:
Please understand Biff that I hope we can continue working together. If by chance I have exhausted my time with you I intend to continue my search. This being the case I hope the "pen pal bond" that I feel for your help will some how continue. Tom

Tom.

Of course we can continue working together, and I will always be available to help in whatever way I can. What is needed is some additional direction as to where you want to go from here--requesting vital records from the US or Italy, trying to contact possible relatives here or in the old country, etc.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Biff

tcurri
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The "Ark is a moving" Reply with quote

Razz Biff.....A.O.K. God bless and good night.
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The "Ark is a moving" Reply with quote

Tom,

I located the following 1927 ship manifest for Carmine's wife Damiana Ianniello.

Page 1

img267.imageshack.us/i...a19271.jpg

Page 2

img685.imageshack.us/i...a19272.jpg

Biff

tcurri
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The "Ark is a moving" Reply with quote

Hello Biff. Whew! Thought I lost you. Glad you're "back" Smile
You wrote, "talent and resources to help...". In a respect I can relate to the feeling.
Further you wrote "proceeding with acquiring Italian records and microfilm....". I'm almost "there", Biff, but there a couple of loose ends that have me almost at a stand still.
For example, My Uncle, Gaetano Curri, was born on June 8, 1897. He came to the US prior to WWI or perhaps while the war was occurring. On 8-Aug-1944 Gaetano received his naturalization approval (#1717).
Somewhere I saw an entry that he possibly arrived in the US on 1-Apr-1911. Is this possible, traveling at 14, with who and where bound?
Can you help me shed any light on this one, Biff?
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The "Ark is a moving" Reply with quote

Name: Gaetano Curri
Birth: 28 Jun 1897
Death: Oct 1970 - Copiague, Suffolk, New York, United States of America
Civil: New York

Name: Josephine Curri
Birth: 30 Jul 1896
Death: May 1976 - Copiague, Suffolk, New York, United States of America
Civil: New York

WWI Draft Reg for Giuseppe Curri, wife Josie
Born 26 Jun 1897
2134 First Ave
img594.imageshack.us/i...rriwwi.jpg

Naturalization Index Card for Gaetano Curri, born about 1897 living at 2127 First Ave
img515.imageshack.us/i...rrinat.jpg

Marriage Info:
Grooom: Curri Gaetano
Bride: Medici Giuseppina
Marriage Aug 27 1916
License# Manhattan County 19789 (1916)

Hmmm. Tom, was Gaetano a carpenter? Did he have a brother Pietro? A son and father Thomas?

Biff

tcurri
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The "Ark is a moving" Reply with quote

Evening Biff, We're on a "hot" trail, my friend. As a child I recall visiting Uncle Tom (Gaetano) and Aunt Josephine (Guiseppina) at 2127 First Ave., N.Y. Being raised in the country I recall raising the window of the living room, 4 flights up, and climbing on the fire escape to watch merchants below opening up fire hydrants to wash the sidewalk litter into the street.
I vaguely recall my father (Emanuele) comment that their father brought Gaetano to the US to avoid being called in to the Italian army. The father's name was Tomasso. In Gaetano's and Josephine's marriage in 1916 one would speculate his arrival in the U.S. before that time..... but when, with whom, and where was his destination. Could there have been cousins already residing on First Ave?
Hope to hear from you, Biff, but don't use up all the lantern oil as once we have this piece in place I need to trace the father's journey (s).
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The "Ark is a moving" Reply with quote

Tom,

Gaetano's immigration record, line 16, travelling with the Maggi Brothers on lines 14 and 15. Travelling "incognito" as Giuseppe to avoid conscription?

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
Name: Giuseppe Curri
Arrival Date: 4 Jun 1914
Birth Year: abt 1897
Last residence and place of birth: Locorotondo, province of Bari, Puglia
Age: 16 Years 11 Months (arrived a couple of weeks before his birthday)
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Saxonia
Nearest relaative in Italy: Father Tommaso
Destination: NYC to join brother Pietro at 321 E 112th St (about two blocks north and 1 block west of 2127/2134 First Ave)

Page 1
imageshack.us/a/img837...ri1914.jpg

Page 2
img443.imageshack.us/i...i19142.jpg

Father Tommaso's 1916 ship manifest, line 2.
Joining son Giuseppe (Gaetano) in NYC at 321 East 112th St
Never in US before.
Leaves wife Rosa
Page 1
www.ellisisland.org/EI...;line=0002

Page 2
www.ellisisland.org/EI...;line=0002

Emanuele's 1920 ship manifest, line 12
Leaves mother Rosa Funarola, likely Fumarola, in Italy.
Joining father Tommaso in Cortland NY

Page 1
www.ellisisland.org/EI...;line=0012

Page 2
www.ellisisland.org/EI...;line=0012

Tom
Was there another brother Pietro per Giuseppe/Gaetano's ship manifest?

Biff

Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The "Ark is a moving" Reply with quote

Tom,

I wasn't sure if you've seen this 1930 census of the Curri's and Verrico's in Cortland. Thought you might like it.

Your family tree is starting to make sense to me! Very Happy

img52.imageshack.us/im...co1930.jpg

I encourage you to record your memories for your children, grandchildren, great grandchildren and beyond--just like you did when you mentioned your visits to your uncle and aunt in NYC (kinda reminded me of the story of the city mouse and the country mouse from Aesop's fables). I can help with the "who, what and where" part of your ancestry but your personal recollections are what will make the family come alive and "put flesh on the bones."

My greatest regret is having started so late on my journey after so many of the older generation had passed on.

Biff

tcurri
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The "Ark is a moving" Reply with quote

Ah Biff, it appears that you have a few regrets in this area as do I. Some how our folks "up there" are supportive and forgiving.
You are correct with your "Aseop Fables" analogy; yes, I have seen the 1930 Cortland census.
The name "Pietro" has never been mentioned in out family. Dad (Emanuele) did speak of a brother, Edwardo, and a sister who remained in Italy.
I'm 99,44% sure Tommaso never traveled to Cortland. My understanding is that Tommaso travels in to the US 1916 to visit son, Gaetano. Tommaso is 56 years old; then returns to Italy never to return.
Emanuele arrives in 1920 with a family friend, Pasquale Bennardi. Emanuele remains in NYC with brother Gaetano. Pasquale proceeds to Cortland, N.Y. Emanuele remains in NYC, gets married, wife dies.
At this point, Biff, (recall) Verrico-Dilanna, Naples, Curri-Dilanna, Bari.---now the plot THICKENS--
P.S. You were right about Gaetano's trying to avoid conscription. Crying or Very sad
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The "Ark is a moving" Reply with quote

Sorry, Tom.

I misread Emanuele's manifest; he was joining father Tommaso in NYC at 2261 1st Ave; as you mentioned it was Pasquale who headed to Cortland.

Is this the correct record for Emanuele's first marriage?
Marriage info:
Groom: Curri, Emanuele
Bride: Cipoletti, Maria
Jul 10 1924
License# 21789 (1924)
Manhattan

I'm still mystified about the Pietro on Gaetano/Giuseppe's manifest. Perhaps it was another ruse to confound the Italian authorities in his desire to avoid conscription.

Looking forward to where the "plot" will take us, and what will be revealed in the denouement.

For the folks "up there." The lyrics of this song have taken on a special meaning to me since I began my journey as I dream of those whose shoulders I stand on. Perhaps you can relate to this also.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=geLAbyOTaZA (click link to left for audio)

A candy-colored clown they call the sandman
Tiptoes to my room every night
Just to sprinkle star dust and to whisper
“Go to sleep, everything is all right”

I close my eyes then I drift away
Into the magic night, I softly say
A silent prayer like dreamers do
Then I fall asleep to dream my dreams of you

In dreams I walk with you
In dreams I talk to you
In dreams you’re mine all the time
We’re together in dreams, in dreams

But just before the dawn
I awake and find you gone
I can’t help it, I can’t help it if I cry
I remember that you said goodbye

Too bad it only seems
It only happens in my dreams
Only in dreams
In beautiful dreams.

---Roy Orbison, "In Dreams"

Biff

Page 2 of 4All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: