Request for extracts ignored by L'ufficio di Stato Civile
Last post by charliemis in Southern Italy on Oct 23, 2017 at 11:38:43

Ambrogio Bianchi Birth Certificate - Rome/Ferentino
Last post by debbiemfit in Where do I begin? on Oct 14, 2017 at 15:28:01

Cardano al Campo, Italy
Last post by Seabreezes1 in Northern Italy on Oct 13, 2017 at 21:58:14

Muscatello
Last post by Biff83 in Southern Italy on Oct 11, 2017 at 15:22:57

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by PrimoMattino in Southern Italy on Oct 03, 2017 at 17:32:46

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by Italysearcher in Where do I begin? on Sep 24, 2017 at 18:25:31

Bastianelli Sant Elia Fiumerapido or Altina
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Sep 23, 2017 at 18:29:38

RESEACHING LUCIA NAPOLI DELIANOUVA
Last post by nuccia in Where do I begin? on Sep 22, 2017 at 06:13:48

Surname Serafini from Barga
Last post by Libby in Northern Italy on Sep 04, 2017 at 03:47:22

Sant'Elia Fiumerapido - De Filippis
Last post by Marchpatty in Central Italy on Aug 24, 2017 at 23:45:06

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › Italian Earthquakes

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Italian Earthquakes

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Italian Earthquakes Reply with quote

Does anyone know all the dates for the larger earthquakes that affected Southern Italy? These are the dates I came up with:
February 5 through March 28, 1783
October 12, 1835
February 12, 1854
September 8, 1905
December 28, 1908
Am I missing any? I want to look for Marie's g grandparents death records but she doesn't know the year - only that an earthquake was involved.
Thanks.

Balboa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Italian Earthquakes Reply with quote

Cathy wrote:
Does anyone know all the dates for the larger earthquakes that affected Southern Italy? These are the dates I came up with:
February 5 through March 28, 1783
October 12, 1835
February 12, 1854
September 8, 1905
December 28, 1908
Am I missing any? I want to look for Marie's g grandparents death records but she doesn't know the year - only that an earthquake was involved.
Thanks.

Hi cathy, here the dates until 2002.i wrote since your last date, until our days. Let me know if u are interested to a particular area

23 october 1907 CALABRIA ( FERRUZZANO ) -grade: 5,9 -victim: 167
13 gennuary 1915 ABRUZZO ( AVEZZANO ) - grade:6,9 -victims: 30000
24 november 1918 SICILIA ( GIARRE ) -grade: 4,3 -victms: 100
23 july 1930 IRPINIA -grade: 6,5 -victms: 1500
23 NOVEMBRE 1980 IRPINIA - BASILICATA -grade:7,2 victms: 2800
15 GENNAIO 1968 SICILIA ( BELICE ) -grade:6 -victims :268
13 DICEMBRE 1990 SICILIA -grade:7 -victim: 17
26 SETTEMBRE 1997 UMBRIA - grade:5,7 -victim: 11
31 OTTOBRE 2002 MOLISE -grade:5,6 -victim: 7

I hope these dates can help you Wink
baci
Balboa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Italian Earthquakes Reply with quote

ops..!i've just seen that i didn't translate the name of months!!sorry!!..

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Italian Earthquakes Reply with quote

Ciao Marcello,

Don't worry about translating the dates..many of us can understand them and we ca always ask if we have any questions. I also hope you feel comfortable to write in Italian when ever you like since many of our friends here read, write and speak both English and Italian. The rest of us are learning...so write in both languages and we can help each other. kiss

Calabria Exchange
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Italian Earthquakes Reply with quote

Wow, thanks. Yes, I know dates in Italian from all the documents I have transcribed. I am interested in earthquakes in Calabria as part of my family research. I missed the 1907 quake. That is interesting because 1907 was a bad year for my family - lots of them died that year including my great grandmother who was about 36 at the time. I'll have to go back and look at the exact dates. Do you know of any websites (preferably in english) that give details about these quakes? I really want to learn more. I also want to compare those dates with the death records for the same time period. Thanks.

Balboa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Italian Earthquakes Reply with quote

Cathy wrote:
Wow, thanks. Yes, I know dates in Italian from all the documents I have transcribed. I am interested in earthquakes in Calabria as part of my family research. I missed the 1907 quake. That is interesting because 1907 was a bad year for my family - lots of them died that year including my great grandmother who was about 36 at the time. I'll have to go back and look at the exact dates. Do you know of any websites (preferably in english) that give details about these quakes? I really want to learn more. I also want to compare those dates with the death records for the same time period. Thanks.

Hi cathy, i've found these sites about calabrian Earthquakes..in english is difficult to find informations like these Sad

www.owlnet.rice.edu/~g...arthqu.htm

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...earthquake

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wo...381585.stm

its not much, i know- but if you need help to translate some italian site about earthquakes...I'm here! Wink
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Italian Earthquakes Reply with quote

Thanks so much. Those links are really helpful. I plan this week on examining the death records around the earthquake dates to see how they affected the town.

Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Italian Earthquakes Reply with quote

Cathy,

Nuccia posted a link a while ago to the Library of Congress's online newspaper collection. I searched for newspaper articles for information that appeared in various US newspaperswhere the words earthquake and Calabria occurred. Here's the results.

Historical American Newspapers at the Library of Congress

Happy reading.

Biff

"You live as long as you are remembered." -- Russian proverb
Carole
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Italian Earthquakes Reply with quote

Cathy - these two sites might be of some interest with dates etc. They are from Italian sites though. I was going to look for items in Italian about possible epidemics at around the period your grandfather died but wasn't sure of the date....

>HERE#1<

>HERE#2<

Researching: EDMED, SAVILL, TYSON, NEWCOMBE, STAPLETON, GUNTER, STAPLES
If you think education is expensive -try ignorance!

>Expats in Italy<
Come and join 'Dork and Friends'! >New Blog<
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Italian Earthquakes Reply with quote

Biff83 wrote:
Cathy,

Nuccia posted a link a while ago to the Library of Congress's online newspaper collection. I searched for newspaper articles for information that appeared in various US newspaperswhere the words earthquake and Calabria occurred. Here's the results.

Historical American Newspapers at the Library of Congress

Happy reading.

Biff

Biff, thanks so much for that link - I forgot all about that site! Embarassed I found a great article. Very informative and interesting! Gave me a lot of information I was looking for. Nuccia: One of the headlines said "Reggio Wiped Out". You may want to look at that too. I'm going to check out Carole's links now.

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Italian Earthquakes Reply with quote

Can you send me the link to the article, Cathy? I am about to be banned from the computer so I have very limited time to look through the articles right now... Embarassed

But I am dying to see it!

Calabria Exchange
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Italian Earthquakes Reply with quote

This article from the Washington Hearald in regarding the December, 1908 quake. You can see it here: www.loc.gov/chroniclin...&mode=list

Choose the Adobe acrobat format or you will never be able to read the small print! Shocked

Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Italian Earthquakes Reply with quote

Thank you all so much. I checked out all your links, many of which lead to other links. I have been searching for months and did not come up with much. I have a lot of information now. Carole, one of your links included information on colera epidemics - that was vey interesting too and next on my list to learn about - plagues, diseases, epidemics and famine. Shocked

charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Italian Earthquakes Reply with quote

Hi Cathy,

Have you found a way to blow this up to make it readable? I tried printing it out on "best quality" but it is too small and too light to read.

thanks, Charlie

Researching: Corato, Provincia di Bari in Puglia e San Giorgio Albanese, Provincia di Cosenza in Calabria.
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Italian Earthquakes Reply with quote

Charliemis,
If you are refering to the newspaper archives, click on the Adobe Acrobat option. You can view at 100% and it is much better. Please note that some of the newspaper editions have up to 4 pages from the same paper so view them in order. It is so interesting to read what the press said 100 years ago!

Page 1 of 2All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: