Gentile ,Mammola, Calabria
Last post by nuccia in Southern Italy on Jul 20, 2017 at 07:52:30

looking for manifest of Sabato Pizzano changed to Pisano
Last post by DaveFerro in Southern Italy on Jul 19, 2017 at 21:29:46

Looking for Vincenzo Contrera
Last post by Biff83 in Southern Italy on Jul 10, 2017 at 23:36:16

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › Nicola and Marie Bressi late 1800s

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Nicola and Marie Bressi late 1800s

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bressi123

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Nicola and Marie Bressi late 1800s Reply with quote

Hi, I'm looking for more info on my great-great grandparents. I believe they were born in the south of Italy, possibly Roccella Ionica.
Nicola was born in about 1870 and Marie was born in about 1880 (I believe she may have been adopted). They both immigrated to NY. I'm not sure where they died. Ultimately I would love to find their parents names and any of their siblings if possible. All help is appreciated!
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Nicola and Marie Bressi late 1800s Reply with quote

If this is your great great grandparents' census record,

Name:
Nicolia Bressi
Birth Year:
abt 1870
Birthplace:
Italy
Home in 1920:
Brooklyn Assembly District 12, Kings, New York
Spouse's Name:
Mary Bressi
Father's Birthplace:
Italy
Mother's Birthplace:
Italy
Household Members:
Nicolia Bressi 50
Mary Bressi 40
Paul Bressi 19
Cosman Bressi 16
Tessie Bressi 11
Francis Bressi 7
Joseph Bressi 4
[4 11/12]
George Bressi 0
[5/12]

I believe this is your great-great grandmother's death information since subsequent census records show Nicola as widowed:

Bressi Maria J
Date of death: Feb 8 1925
Certificate# 3086 (1925)
County: Kings (Brooklyn NY)
Appox year of birth: 1881 - 1882

Biff

"You live as long as you are remembered." -- Russian proverb
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Nicola and Marie Bressi late 1800s Reply with quote

Possible Naturalization Petition for Nicola Bressi from 1896.

img35.imageshack.us/im...3/fztb.jpg

It's interesting to note that Nicola's occupation on 1915 and subsequent census records was "street sweeper" which likely meant he worked for the NYC sanitation department. In the late 1890s and early 1900s, one had to be either US born or naturalized to apply for a position with the city sanitation dept.

Biff

bressi123

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Nicola and Marie Bressi late 1800s Reply with quote

Thanks Biff!

I recognize the siblings so that's the census record! Paul was my great grand father. So then that must be Marie's death info. Out of curiosity what do you have to do to get that info? And would if be possible to do the same for Nicola?

And I think that is his naturalization docs cuz he lived on 14th Ave in Brooklyn. How did you get this?! Can I get one for Marie?

Also, any idea on how I could find their parents?

Thanks so much for all your help!!
suanj
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Nicola and Marie Bressi late 1800s Reply with quote

Hi,
I found the 1900 census:
1900 United States Federal Census about Nicola Bresso
Name: Nicola Bresso
[Nicola H Brasse]
Birth Date: Mar 1868
Birthplace: Italy
Home in 1900: Brooklyn Ward 30, Kings, New York
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1892 Alien
Relation to Head of House: Head
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Marietta Bresso
Marriage Year: 1895
Years Married: 5
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Nicola Bresso 32
Marietta Bresso 19 (b. Mar 1881, IT; imm. 1896

interactive.ancestry.c...turnRecord

suanj
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Nicola and Marie Bressi late 1800s Reply with quote

I found Maria's death record on Steve Morse's site (click on the link below and scroll down to NYC Death Records).

stevemorse.org/

I also searched for Nicola's death record but did not find it. I did locate him in the 1940 census at 70 but the indexed NYC death records end in 1948 so he likely passed after 1948. Since the 1900 marriage record indicates they were married about 1895, I also tried to locate Nicola and Maria's marriage record since it appears they married in NYC but likewise did not find anything.

I located Nicola's naturalization record on ancestry.com.

Further searching on ancestry I found this other naturalization document in which he stated he arrived in the port of New York on 16 May 1880 and that he was born in the city of Riccia, province of Campobasso, region Molise.

Although the document clearly shows Riccia, I'm wondering if it could have been Riace, a town in the province of Reggio Calabria.

The 1880 arrival date would make him about 10 when he came to the states so he might have been travelling with relatives or friends.

img713.imageshack.us/i...2/23xe.jpg

Biff

Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Nicola and Marie Bressi late 1800s Reply with quote

Interesting WWI Draft Reg cards

Michael Bressi living in Brooklyn at 1402 66th St (66th and 14th--same address as Nicola's 1896 naturalization record).
Born 3 June 1889 in Rigi? Italy
Employed by Peter Bressi, 65th St and 14th Avenue.

imageshack.us/a/img836...5/48hg.jpg

And Pietro Bressi living in Brooklyn at 1416 65th St
Born 4 Oct 1874
Naturalized.

img546.imageshack.us/i...5/qbq8.jpg

Biff

Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Nicola and Marie Bressi late 1800s Reply with quote

A 1908 ship manifest for Ilario Bressi
Destination to his home in Brooklyn, 66th St and 14th Ave
Place of birth: Riace

Page 1
www.ellisisland.org/EI...;line=0004

Page 2
www.ellisisland.org/EI...;line=0004

Biff

Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Nicola and Marie Bressi late 1800s Reply with quote

Ilario Brissi (Bressi) Petition for Naturalization.
Born Riaci (Riace)
Residence 66th St and 14th Avenue
Note that he states his date of arrival on or about 18 May 1890 same as Nicola. Perhaps he and Nicola travelled together.

img51.imageshack.us/im...4/69kx.jpg

Biff

bressi123

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Nicola and Marie Bressi late 1800s Reply with quote

Very interesting!

The reason why I was thinking Roccella was because another Bressi, who I believe I may be related to, posted in another Italian geological forum much like this one about a Nicola Bressi that live on 65th st and 14th (although it was actually 66th St., I would presume it to be the same Nicola). Here is the link: www.italiangenealogy.c...ml#p122304

They mention a Domencio Bressi (1883) and Domenico's father and mother: Francesco Bressi and Maria Carito. It is in Domenico's ship record that it mentions that he is on his way to his is cousin Nicola Bressi at that address. Here is the link to ship record.
www.ellisisland.org/EI...&line=0022

If all this true I would presume Francesco to be Nicola's uncle. There are a few trees in Ancestry.com that have Francesco, Maria, and Domenico, one of which dates the Bressi family back to the 1700's. I contacted one or two of the owners to these trees to see if they have any info on Nicola. Nothing so far.

Anyways, I'm certain Nicola was from Calabria, Italy. I'm thinking he was born in Riace, like you said, but maybe later visited Roccella, perhaps because some of the family lived there. There is another ship record I found from 1898, which I'll attach. I got this one off of Ancestry.com. They botched on the name but everything else makes sense. It also states his address.

How come Maria's parent's aren't listed with the death record? Isn't that something that's typically included?

Should I go to NY to try and get Nicola's death record?

Also, where do you see Nicola arriving in 1890? I thought he came in 1880?

And yes it would make sense that some of the other Bressi's would be related to him. It's unfortunate though that we don't know how they're related. Is there an email for Riace and Roccella that I could try and get copies of birth certs to try and figure this out? I wouldn't even want the actual birth cert, just a scanned copy via email would do. I emailed Altamira, Spain not too long ago for my father's family, Ugalde, and they were able to scan and email me birth and marriage certs without a problem.
bressi123

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: Nicola and Marie Bressi late 1800s Reply with quote

One other thing, if it's true that Nicola and Maria married in 1895 according to the 1900 Federal census, and that Maria was born in 1881, then Maria would have been 14 years old. Am I doing that math right? lol
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Nicola and Marie Bressi late 1800s Reply with quote

A couple of things.

First, I erred when I stated Nicola's immigration year as 1890; per his naturalization it was 1880.

Maria's death record may or may not have her parents' names; the only way to determine this is to request a copy of her death certificate.

I do not think that the Nicola on the 1898 ship manifest is your Nicola the manifest shows him as single (Nicola was married about 1895) and never in the US before.

Since you know the comune(town) of your gg grandfather's birth, and his birth date, you can write to Riace and request his birth act (atto di nascita).

You should write your letter in Italian. Use this link to generate your letter.
www.circolocalabrese.o...ecords.asp

Do not send money until/unless requested, but DO send a self-addressed envelope UNSTAMPED along with your request.

Send to:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Piazza Municipio
89040 Riace (RC)
ITALY

Biff

bressi123

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: Nicola and Marie Bressi late 1800s Reply with quote

One other thing, if it's true that Nicola and Maria married in 1895 according to the 1900 Federal census, and that Maria was born in 1881, then Maria would have been 14 years old. Am I doing that math right? lol
bressi123

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Nicola and Marie Bressi late 1800s Reply with quote

Hi again! I managed to contact Riace, Italy a few months back. There was a Nicola Bressi born there on May 18, 1870 to the parents of Paolo Cossimo Bressi (b. July 23, 1834) and Teresa Cimino.

Do you think that's the same Nicola? I have a feeling it is because there is a Cossimo in my family, one of my great grand father's siblings. My question though is, why is the 1900 census have different birth dates? Thanks so much for all the help. I really appreciate it.
  Page 1 of 1All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: