Gentile ,Mammola, Calabria
Last post by nuccia in Southern Italy on Jul 20, 2017 at 07:52:30

looking for manifest of Sabato Pizzano changed to Pisano
Last post by DaveFerro in Southern Italy on Jul 19, 2017 at 21:29:46

Looking for Vincenzo Contrera
Last post by Biff83 in Southern Italy on Jul 10, 2017 at 23:36:16

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › De Luca + Cannata + Musumeci

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
De Luca + Cannata + Musumeci

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PMHMitch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:31 am    Post subject: De Luca + Cannata + Musumeci Reply with quote

Hoping someone can help me.

I'm looking for the family of Bartolemes De Luca and his wife Maria (nee Cannata) who I believed came from Messina. I know they had 2 children Philippe/Filippe and Gaetano, but they may have had more. Philippe was born in 1870 and came to Australia in about 1908. I believe he spent time in France and Argentina prior to arriving in Australia.

Philippe was a doctor who served in the Italian Army in 1897 and again during WW1. He obtained qualifications from both Naples and Paris and practiced in Australia from 1908 until the late 1920s as far as I can ascertain. He also spent a great deal of his time researching for a cure for Tuberculosis.

I believe Philippe was married to Maria and they had 2 children Zena and Joe.

In 1905 Philippe was the Consul in Messina of the Republic of Bolivia, South America.

Philippe's brother Gaetano lived in Queensland, Australia for many years and was married to Maria (nee Musumeci). They had a son Giovanninno. I believe Gaetano returned to Messina but left to come to Australia in 1909 just after the Messina earthquake of 1908.

I would welcome any suggestions as to how I can confirm this information about the family of Bartolemes and Maria De Luca, Philippe's time in the Italian Army as well as his time as Consul in Messina as I'm unsure how the Italian records work having never researched an Italian before.

Regards
Mitch
Port Macquarie
Australia
suanj
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: De Luca + Cannata + Musumeci Reply with quote

Hi I already replied to you on another forum, but now I found a clue.....
from national archive of Australia:
DE LUCA Philip - born 20 January 1870 - Italian
Contents date range 1920 - 1920
Series number A435
Click to see which government agency or person created this item.
Control symbol 1946/4/6400
Item barcode 7006670
Location Canberra
Access status Not yet examined
Physical format PAPER FILES AND DOCUMENTS (allocated at series level)
Extent 10 folios
Date registered 15 Nov 2002

recordsearch.naa.gov.a...de=7006670
so ...almost.... we know the birth date...

but I found a trip of Philip De Luca, surgeon, born in Messina, IT, age 55 in 1923 going in USA ; last residence: Milano, IT; wife LESTO Giovanni (maybe LESTI Giovanna right) in Milano, IT

New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Hold Philip De Luca
Name: Hold Philip De Luca
Arrival Date: 18 Jul 1923
Birth Date: abt 1870
Birth Location: Italy
Birth Location Other: messiana
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Italian
Port of Departure: Cherbourg
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Olympic

pag 1

s29.postimg.org/49wvut...De_Luc.jpg

pag 2

s28.postimg.org/6riqwb...1957_3.jpg
it could be the person that you are searching for?
suanj

Last edited by suanj on Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
suanj
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: De Luca + Cannata + Musumeci Reply with quote

abt Gaetano De Luca, the arrival in Australia:
Victoria, Australia, Assisted and Unassisted Passenger Lists, 1839–1923about Mr Gactano De Luca
Name: Mr Gactano De Luca
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1876
Arrival Date: 17 Nov 1909
Arrival Port: Sydney, Australia
Departure Port: Naples
Ship: Konigin Luise
Nationality: Greek

suanj
PMHMitch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: De Luca + Cannata + Musumeci Reply with quote

Hello Suanj,

Thank you for this information.

I'll follow-up the National Archives of Australia link.

Your information has now thrown up another question I have to look into that is his visit to the USA assuming we have the same person - except for the name of the wife.

The newspaper article below states:

Dr. P. De Luca, of Hamilton, Brisbane, is visiting Cairns for a few days and is staying till Wednesday, when he leaves by the Levuka. Dr. De Luca, who was in Cairns three or four years ago, has many friends in the Cairns and Innisfail districts, where he was in practice formerly. He has just returned from a trip to Europe, and is shortly starting in practice in Brisbane. Dr. De Luca visited Italy and France, and the United States, and returned to Australia accompanied by his wife and daughter, who were in Cairns with him on his present visit.
Cairns Post, Monday 16 March 1925

The name of the wife on the shipping list you sent is not a name I have come across before. And the last permanent address indicates Milano, Italy yet he was living in Australia from 1908-1915 and again from 1920-1927 as newspaper records have shown. Between 1915-1919 he was in Italy as a medical officer with the Italian Army.

With regard to you email that you had replied to a post I made on another forum do you remember which forum that was?

Regards
Mitch
suanj
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: De Luca + Cannata + Musumeci Reply with quote

Hi, the previous forum is www.italiangenealogy.c...ca#p200935
I remembered your topic, because I searched abt your ancestor, but I no replied on the forum, sorry....
I thought I would respond, but then I did not clearly....
Very Happy
abt the trip that I found, I know no if it is abt your ancestor... maybe in Messina births of 1870 it can find thebirth record of Philip (Filippo in italian).. maybe it are a marriage note on his birth act... and I searched but no found it...
familysearch.org/searc...%3D1967753
I
suanj
suanj
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: De Luca + Cannata + Musumeci Reply with quote

Found the birth act:
DE LUCA Filippo born in Messina on 20 Jan 1870 #108, son of Bartolomeo De Luca (son of late Filippo), 36 old, proprietor, residing in Via S. Francesco ( saint Francis st, Messina) and of Francesca Cannata (daughter of Gaetano)

familysearch.org/pal:/...n598676153
no marriage note on the bottom....
suanj

Last edited by suanj on Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total
suanj
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: De Luca + Cannata + Musumeci Reply with quote

I found the birth act of Gaetano DE LUCA:
born in Messina (Priorato district) on 28 Apr 1876 son of Bartolomeo De Luca 34 old (.. maybe on Filippo birth record the age of Bartolomeo is wrong.. I know not what is the his right age). proprietor, domiciled in Messina, in Via Casa Pia nr 3 (3 Pious House st) and son of Francesca Cannata; Gaetano married in Messina on 21 sep 1907 #266 at Teresa Maria Guttarolo ( no Maria Musumeci)

familysearch.org/pal:/...n941511056

Gaetano De Luca and Teresa Guttarolo marriage:
Messina 21 sep 1907 #266
Groom-Gaetano De Luca 32 old, born and resident in Messina, son of Bartolomeo De Luca and of late Francesca Cannata

Bride- Teresa Guttarolo 31 old, born and resident in Messina, daughter of Francesco Paolo Guttarolo and Carmela Foresta

familysearch.org/pal:/...n513164664
suanj

Last edited by suanj on Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total
PMHMitch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: De Luca + Cannata + Musumeci Reply with quote

Hi Suanj,

I'm amazed at your research. You obviously know your way around the Italian archives. This is my first time researching an Italian so I certainly am grateful for your help.

You made mention in an email below that Philip's wife was Lesto/Lesti Giovanni/Giovanna. Would you happen to know when they were married?

Regards
Mitch
suanj
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: De Luca + Cannata + Musumeci Reply with quote

sorry, I know not where and when he was married; no marriage note on the birth act, so he no married in Messina, and maybe .. the marriage was no registered in Messina, normally a marriage in other town or country must be registered also in the birth town of groom or bride, but no marriage note on Filippo birth act so no infos abt that...
best regards,
suanj

ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
PMHMitch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: De Luca + Cannata + Musumeci Reply with quote

Hi Suanj,

You have helped me a lot and given me leads to follow which I am most grateful for.

I only have these couple of questions for you if you don't mind as I can appreciate you have others that you wish to help.

Do you know how I could find out about Philip's:

- Italian medical background as I believe he graduated from Naples in 1895 as a medical doctor?

- his Italian Army records as I believe he was in the Italian Army sometime around 1897 (likely 1896-1900). He then returned to Italy from Australia in 1915 to serve in the Italian Army as a Medical doctor before again returning to Australia from Genoa in 1920?

- his time in Messina in 1905 when he was the Consul for the Republic of Bolivia, South America.

Hoping you can provide more leads for me.

Regards
Mitch
suanj
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: De Luca + Cannata + Musumeci Reply with quote

Hi Mitch,
abt
Quote::
- Italian medical background as I believe he graduated from Naples in 1895 as a medical doctor?
I know not where to search and if some document could be available...
Quote::
- his Italian Army records as I believe he was in the Italian Army sometime around 1897 (likely 1896-1900). He then returned to Italy from Australia in 1915 to serve in the Italian Army as a Medical doctor before again returning to Australia from Genoa in 1920?
for bad luck the Messina archive have just the FOGLIO MATRICOLARE (militar service) of men born from 1874 to 1904..
the have just the medical examination for national service... but on this document it are just the name, the birthdate, the birthplace, the parent's names and if able for militar service... no more helpful data...
Philip returned in Australia and died in Australia?
regards,
suanj

Last edited by suanj on Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:26 am; edited 1 time in total
PMHMitch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: De Luca + Cannata + Musumeci Reply with quote

Hi Suanj,

Oh well, I'll continue with my research.

Many thanks for all your help.

If I can be of assistance to you then please let me know.

Regards
Mitch
suanj
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: De Luca + Cannata + Musumeci Reply with quote

happy of help you!
suanj

ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
  Page 1 of 1All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: