Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

Ambrogio Bianchi Birth Certificate - Rome/Ferentino
Last post by debbiemfit in Where do I begin? on Oct 14, 2017 at 15:28:01

Cardano al Campo, Italy
Last post by Seabreezes1 in Northern Italy on Oct 13, 2017 at 21:58:14

Muscatello
Last post by Biff83 in Southern Italy on Oct 11, 2017 at 15:22:57

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by PrimoMattino in Southern Italy on Oct 03, 2017 at 17:32:46

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by Italysearcher in Where do I begin? on Sep 24, 2017 at 18:25:31

Bastianelli Sant Elia Fiumerapido or Altina
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Sep 23, 2017 at 18:29:38

RESEACHING LUCIA NAPOLI DELIANOUVA
Last post by nuccia in Where do I begin? on Sep 22, 2017 at 06:13:48

Surname Serafini from Barga
Last post by Libby in Northern Italy on Sep 04, 2017 at 03:47:22

Sant'Elia Fiumerapido - De Filippis
Last post by Marchpatty in Central Italy on Aug 24, 2017 at 23:45:06

PUGLIESE OR VALEO
Last post by Biff83 in Central Italy on Aug 05, 2017 at 20:14:08

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › 1880 Calabria History

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
1880 Calabria History

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: 1880 Calabria History Reply with quote

I thought I had finished transcribing the 1880 death acts for my grandfather's town through September but discovered yesterday that I had not. I had only finished 1 out of 3 CD's full of death acts. So I got busy and finished them. One of the last ones I transcribed yesterday was a Zingone - the great grandfather of 2 ladies I have had contact with. His mother's name was missing on other documents so now I can connect her Zingone's to mine and the Argentinians. As I was going through the final CD I noticed 2 things. An enormous number of death acts for the month of September (and I did not finish copying them yet) and a number of family members dying on the same day. According to the Zingone family story (in the US) both their gg grandparents died as a result of a fire that resulted from an earthquake. I have not been able to confirm an 1880 earthquake. Confused I have exhausted my history references in english. Does anyone know a good history resource (or an earthquake resource) in english? Has anyone heard of a Calabrian earthquake in 1880? (probably September) Earthquake or not, something happened. Perhaps cholera or another disease?
Thanks.

michelle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1880 Calabria History Reply with quote

Hi cathy,
I found on the www.calabriangenealogy...abria.html that there was an earthquake in the calabrian area in 1857( 10,000 dead) and in 1895 3,000 dead and injured.There is a list of earthquakes at the earthquake engineering online archive. Also News.bbc had a list of earthquakes in italy.Don't know if they had the year you were looking for. Goodluck

michelle Smile

ricbru
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1880 Calabria History Reply with quote

I wasn't able to find any web site or book about the earthquake in Montalto Uffugo on 1880.
I suggest you to contact Montalto Uffugo library to see if there is any book talking about that.
If you need any help just let me know
bye Riccardo

HELP ME to find the ship manifest of 1902 to USA, about my GGFather Francesco Paolo BRUNO from Trapani (1860/1938)
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1880 Calabria History Reply with quote

Actually Riccardo there are 2 history books I am aware of specific to Montalto Uffugo. One was written by Romano Napolitano. The other ones:
Titolo: I saperi, i cibi, gli oggetti e i ricordi. Vita quotidiana, festività, lavori agricoli e tradizioni alimentari a Montalto Uffugo
Autore: Coconato Carmela
Editore: Progetto 2000
Data di Pubblicazione: 2003
Collana: Città e paesi di Calabria
ISBN: 8882761347
ISBN-13: 9788882761349
Pagine: 164
Titolo: Montalto Uffugo dall'unità d'Italia ai giorni nostri. Memoria e storia di una comunità calabrese
Autore: Romeo Luciano
Editore: Progetto 2000
Data di Pubblicazione: 1992
Collana: Città e paesi di Calabria
ISBN: 8885937349
ISBN-13: 9788885937345
Pagine: 191
Unfortunately, I do not speak enough Italian to read them. Romano Napolitano's book must be out of print.

Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1880 Calabria History Reply with quote

michelle wrote:
Hi cathy,
I found on the www.calabriangenealogy...abria.html that there was an earthquake in the calabrian area in 1857( 10,000 dead) and in 1895 3,000 dead and injured.There is a list of earthquakes at the earthquake engineering online archive. Also News.bbc had a list of earthquakes in italy.Don't know if they had the year you were looking for. Goodluck

michelle Smile
Michelle,
I cannot tell you how honored I feel that you quoted my website as a resource! That is not intended as a complete list. As I find more, I add them. I was able to find several earthquakes that year in Zagreeb, Croatia, Spain and the Philippines.

ricbru
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1880 Calabria History Reply with quote

I was talking about something more specific, about the 1880 earthquake in Montalto Uffugo.
I found several book about several earthquakes all over Italy, some in Calabria too, but during different years
bye Riccardo

HELP ME to find the ship manifest of 1902 to USA, about my GGFather Francesco Paolo BRUNO from Trapani (1860/1938)
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1880 Calabria History Reply with quote

I would give anything for a book in english on Calabrian history. I was always fascinated by history but it is really difficult to find anything at all about Calabria in this country.

ricbru
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1880 Calabria History Reply with quote

This is what I found
I hope it helps
Riccardo

www.circolocalabrese.o...istory.asp

Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1880 Calabria History Reply with quote

WOW! Thanks Riccardo! I'll see if I can get those either in a library or online. You are too good to me. kiss

ricbru
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1880 Calabria History Reply with quote

It was my pleasure my friend
kisses and hugs
Riccardo

Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1880 Calabria History Reply with quote

I think I found a reference to this fire. It is in Spanish. It is from this site: www.noticiasnet.com.ar...26&id=8082
Can I get this paragraph translated from Spanish:
De las ramas de los Zingoni se puede reconstruir con cierta precisión la de Francisco Zingoni, hijo único sobreviviente (por un incendio de su casa) del matrimonio formado por Domingo Zingoni y Angela Pantano, nacido en Montalto Uffugo, Cosenza, Calabria, el 12 de febrero de 1870.
Se casó el 16 de diciembre de 1892 con Javiera Chiappetta, a quien llamaban Isabel, y tuvieron en Italia tres hijos: José, Rosario y Corina.

Thanks.

chanchisfea
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1880 Calabria History Reply with quote

Quote::
De las ramas de los Zingoni se puede reconstruir con cierta precisión la de Francisco Zingoni, hijo único sobreviviente (por un incendio de su casa) del matrimonio formado por Domingo Zingoni y Angela Pantano, nacido en Montalto Uffugo, Cosenza, Calabria, el 12 de febrero de 1870.
Se casó el 16 de diciembre de 1892 con Javiera Chiappetta, a quien llamaban Isabel, y tuvieron en Italia tres hijos: José, Rosario y Corina.

From the Zingoni branches we can reconstruct with some certainty the one for Francisco Zingoni, only surviving son (of a fire in his house) from the marriage between Domingo Zingoni and Angela Pantano, he was born in Montalto Uffugo, Consenza, Calabria, February 12 of 1870.
He got married on December 16 of 1892 to Javiera Chiapetta, who was called Isabel, and they had three children in Italy: Jose, Rosario and Corina.

Liz Cool

Transcripts for towns of Petrona' - San Vincenzo la Costa and Verzino, Italy Smile
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1880 Calabria History Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks Liz. A coincidence? This is Cecilia's grandfather's family. She will know something perhaps. I will email you a note to translate to her if it's OK.
Thanks again Liz! kiss

chanchisfea
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1880 Calabria History Reply with quote

Cathy, you are very welcome and yes, go ahead and send me what you need translated Wink

kiss

Liz Cool

Transcripts for towns of Petrona' - San Vincenzo la Costa and Verzino, Italy Smile
  Page 1 of 1All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: