looking for manifest of Sabato Pizzano changed to Pisano
Last post by DaveFerro in Southern Italy on Jul 19, 2017 at 21:29:46

Looking for Vincenzo Contrera
Last post by Biff83 in Southern Italy on Jul 10, 2017 at 23:36:16

Locating info on my Italian cousin's death in WWII
Last post by charliemis in Southern Italy on Jul 09, 2017 at 04:06:05

Napolitano - Falzarano, Airola
Last post by goldfreaz in Southern Italy on Jun 15, 2017 at 01:29:50

How do we preserve our Genealogical research for the future?
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Jun 14, 2017 at 23:36:52

Maria Perri
Last post by MikeBarbato in Southern Italy on Jun 14, 2017 at 16:57:18

Lanni Family Sant Elia FR
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on May 31, 2017 at 10:03:19

Vuozzo Surname
Last post by Biff83 in About Us on Apr 29, 2017 at 19:15:44

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › John LaBarbera missing in Chicago

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
John LaBarbera missing in Chicago

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laura
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: John LaBarbera missing in Chicago Reply with quote

Hi John!

Did print the one for Gaetano's brother John, who died in Colorado in June 1963 - and have the 2 obits for his sons John Jr & Thomas P - - their obits indicate that they had different mothers... - Mary Bottilio/Buttita seemed to have been the 2nd wife of John A Sr..

So the manifests posted by Elizabeth are right....:
Page 1:
[img=http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6302/buttittaignazia1920arrigt4.th.jpg]
Page 2:
[img=http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/5439/buttittaignazia1920arrinp1.th.jpg]
List of detained aliens:
[img=http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/3356/buttittaignaziadetainedyv6.th.jpg]

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Ignazia Buttitta
Name: Ignazia Buttitta
Arrival Date: 14 Jul 1920
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1892
Port of Departure: Palermo, Italy
Ethnicity/RaceĀ­/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Ship Name: Giuseppe Verdi
Search Ship Database: Search the Giuseppe Verdi in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Nativity: Sicily
Line: 7
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_2797
Birth Location: Sicily
Birth Location Other: bagheria
Page Number: 102

She was travelling (for the first time) with her two sons Tommaso La Barbera (age 9) and Antonio La Barbera (6 months) goint to meet her husband Antonino La Barbera in 812 Washington St. Springfield....
It can be that after the 1910 census John/Antonino's wife Catherine died he went back to Italy/Bagheria and married Ignazia/Mary Buttitta.....
The child: Tommaso was born in 1911 approx. and Antonio in 1920, both in Italy as the manifest shows....
This explain the previous travel from Italy to USA (April 23, 1919) about John/Antonino and the two others sons Vito and John (both born in Springfield)....
Edit: Bessie (from the Obituary John's daughter) if the SSDI is correct was born on February 29, 1924 by Ignazia/Mary

About the searches in the Bagheria Civil Office I agree with Elizabeth, you can do a resume of all the dates you have and sure they can tell you lots of new dates... as Giuseppa and Agnese La Barbera's families or the death dates etc.....

Laura Very Happy
johnlabarbera
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: John LaBarbera missing in Chicago Reply with quote

I have hired a person to do this, it is not the friend I just met over the Internet who is not a professional researcher. His info is here fyi:

genealogypro.com/eterrazzino.html

His plan is the following:

I will call the town hall of Bagheria sometime early next week. The objectives being that of finding other family records you may not have as well as searching for descendants of Agnes La Barbera and Giuseppe La Barbera and confirm the
names of the streets where you family
lived (if the names are still the same)

If there is anything you wish to add, please do so prior to my visit to Bagheria probably late next week.

Are there any documents he can look for to confirm what we think about Giovanni and Antonio coming over and to where, in other words something that would tie to the documents you and Laura have found? Are does the civil office just have births, deaths and marriages? Would the mariage documents of say Giuseppa or Agnese say who the brothers are and where they lived? Just looking for addtional clues...

All the documents I have found are posted on IG...I will make alist for convenience in my next post...thank you so much you guys are so helpful
BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: John LaBarbera missing in Chicago Reply with quote

In my opinion, I think your researcher should find the birth acts of the 3 brothers - Giuseppe, Antonio and Giovanni (if they are indeed brothers). This will tell you if they have the same parents and confirm their ages. You may also want to ask him to look for church records of the baptisms, we've had other posts her where the baptismal records also recorded marriages that took place in the US etc.

If the researcher finds the birth acts of Giuseppe, Giovanni and Antonio (hopefully they will have the same parents) - ask him to find any other birth acts of possible brothers or sisters of the three boys listed. If you think any of the people (Giuseppe, Giovanni and Antonio or any of their siblings) were married in italy - ask him to find the marriage banns of each and possible church records of the actual event.

If anyone else on the forum can think of information that the researcher should look for, to help tie the information together that we've found - please post for John.

Mangiardi, Tedeschi/Tedesco, Zangari, Coda, DeFrancesco, Ierulli, Bava, Daniele, Valente
johnlabarbera
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: John LaBarbera missing in Chicago Reply with quote

I's sorry there is no Giuseppe LaBarbera the post had an error, Emilio meant Giuseppa...

Recap:

Giovanni LaBarbera and Sebastiani Gargano had following children; Gaetano, Giovanni, Giuseppa, Antonio, Agnese

Giuseppa married Giuseppe D'Amato

We think Agnese married a LudivocoTarantella

Also, Gaetano and his siblings had an Aunt named Ignazia LaBarbera Guglielmo. She came over in 1867 and that is who Gaetano stayed with when he first got here in 1897.

We know Gaetano, Giovanni and Antonio came to USA, not sure about Giuseppa or Agnese.

I am hopeful researcher in Bagheria will be able to confirm Giuseppa and Agnese whereabouts!
BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: John LaBarbera missing in Chicago Reply with quote

Hi John,

You may want to have Emilio look for death acts of Giuseppa and Agnese to see if they died in Italy. If there are no death acts then there's a good chance they did come to the US and died here. Once we find out if there are death acts or not, we can start searching for information in the US records for their where abouts.

The marriage of Giuseppa La Barbera and Giuseppe D'Amato took place in Italy? And the marriage of Agnese La Barbera and Ludivoco Tarantella took place in Italy? ....................are there any known children for Giuseppa or Agnese?

Mangiardi, Tedeschi/Tedesco, Zangari, Coda, DeFrancesco, Ierulli, Bava, Daniele, Valente
johnlabarbera
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: John LaBarbera missing in Chicago Reply with quote

ok I will...I have no record or evidence of Giuseppa or Agnese coming to America...Laura and I think there husbandss may have come over based on a manifest she found which had Ludivico Tarantella visiting 'brother-in-law' Gaetano and then Giuseppe coming over but Giuseppa scratched off the manifest.

I think this week will be very interesting once Emilio reports in...
BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: John LaBarbera missing in Chicago Reply with quote

I'll be anxious to see what he finds. Maybe it will solve some of the mystery. And I saw you posted your surnames............WOW.............you've got your work cut out for you. If you need any help with any additional surnames and family, just start another thread and we'll jump right in!

Love your avatar, glad to see it's up and working!!

BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: John LaBarbera missing in Chicago Reply with quote

johnlabarbera wrote:
Recap:

Giovanni LaBarbera and Sebastiani Gargano had following children; Gaetano, Giovanni, Giuseppa, Antonio, Agnese

Giuseppa married Giuseppe D'Amato

We think Agnese married a LudivocoTarantella

John -

Could the surname be Taravella? I found three that came to New Orleans. I'll try to search for additional manifests for that surname and see what I can come up with.

johnlabarbera
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: John LaBarbera missing in Chicago Reply with quote

Elizabeth I think Laura told me Tarantella but could be I am not sure!!!
BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: John LaBarbera missing in Chicago Reply with quote

Hey Laura and John - let me know what you think.

These are the transcribed records of passengers to New Orleans

1897 from Palermo to New Orleans. I'm wondering if Tarantella is Taravella. You will also see the surname of Palmeri (the name I couldn't make out on the manifest in your other thread) also. These people were all on the same ship sailing at the same time.

4 TARAVELLA VINCENZO 59 M SICILY ALIA
5 TARAVELLA LUCIA 17 F SICILY ALIA
6 TARAVELLA SALVATORE 12 M SICILY ALIA

87 PALMERI GIUSEPPE 36 M SICILY SAMBUCA

160 TARAVELLA GIUSEPPA 41 F SICILY CORLEONE

297 GIGLIOTTA NICOLO 51 M SICILY SAMBUCA

354 LA BARBERA GAETANO 23 M SICILY BAGHERIA

729 GIGLIOTTA ROSALIA 33 F SICILY SAMBUCA

Laura
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: John LaBarbera missing in Chicago Reply with quote

my post from the IG Forum:

New Orleans Passenger Lists, 1820-1945
about Giuseppe Damato
Name: Giuseppe Damato
Arrival Date: 14 May 1903
Ethnic Background: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Palermo, Italy
Ship Name: Manilla
Port of Arrival: New Orleans, Louisiana
Friend's Name: Gaetano Labarbera
Last Residence: Bagheria
National Archives' Series Number: T905_1

It shows D'amato Giuseppe, age 30, married (La Barbera Giuseppa's husband, but as she is crossed out she didn't travelled to USA in that trip), under a few lines you can find Antonio La Barbera, age 27, single and another relative Ludovico Tarantella, they both were going to meet the Brother in law/brother GAETANO LA BARBERA living in 4200 Magazine street, New Orleans...

img135.imageshack.us/m...rivhx3.jpg

Laura Very Happy
BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: John LaBarbera missing in Chicago Reply with quote

Hi Laura

Yes I see on the manifest it's Tarantella. So probable that the New Orleans records of Taravella should have been Tarantella.

Laura
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: John LaBarbera missing in Chicago Reply with quote

Elizabeth,

I thin you're right, from a search about surnames in Italy

gens.labo.net/it/cogno...enera.html

I saw there are NO Tarantella in Sicily but there are many Taravella especially in Palermo Province, so it's strongly probable the last name was mispelled at the arrival.....
There are only a few Tarantella in Calabria Region..... Shocked

Maybe we can search a Census for Taravella.....
Laura Very Happy
BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: John LaBarbera missing in Chicago Reply with quote

1910 Census for Ben Taravella and Lena .......Louisiana

img125.imageshack.us/i...benal9.jpg

Edit to add image

1920 Census.....same town.....Ben and Antonina (Lena) still in retail
img125.imageshack.us/i...benej9.jpg

BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: John LaBarbera missing in Chicago Reply with quote

Laura and John

I've looked through the census info and can't find Agnese married to a Taravella. Would Agnese translate to something else once in america?

I found a few census sheets with Taravella's as the father and daughters named Agnes but that's not what we're looking for.

Any suggestions?

Page 2 of 4All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: