Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › They Came in Boats › Where do I begin? › Certificate of naturalization

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Certificate of naturalization
For help with starting your genealogy research.
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Where do I begin? Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lilbees
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Certificate of naturalization Reply with quote

I thought I had all the the above papers which I do, but after seeing Cathy's actual Certificate of Naturalization I would like to obtain one for the family members who were naturalized and I have papers for.

Didn't even know there was such a certificate. Razz

lilbees
chanchisfea
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Certificate of naturalization Reply with quote

Hi lilbees,

In order to get your hands on a Citizenship/Naturalization certificate for any of the ancestors in your family who came from other countries to the USA, you would have to ask your family members if they happen to know if those are around. If so, where/who in the family has them, etc.

From personal experience, they are unique and only given to the person who becomes a citizen... I got one when I became an American citizen back in 2003. There are no duplicates made, as far as I know.

I happen to have one for one of my husband's grandmother, when she became a citizen, just by shear luck. A writing desk of hers was given to us when she passed on in 2004. While I was cleaning it, I took the drawers out and as I did that, there it was...her naturalization certificate. I think I was meant to find it, as had anyone else found it they probably would have thrown it away Mr. Green

Here is the one I found:

Liz Cool

Transcripts for towns of Petrona' - San Vincenzo la Costa and Verzino, Italy Smile
lilbees
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Certificate of naturalization Reply with quote

No such luck! Everyone has died. My brother and I are it. A young cousin (very young in comparison). She does not have anything of the sort.

Oh well, it was a thought.

Believe me, there are not too many savers in the world. If they can't use it or if it's not worth money consider it gone.

Thanks for you help anyway. Have a nice day.

lilbees
lilbees
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Certificate of naturalization Reply with quote

Liz, just had a thought. I will call the County Clerk's office on Monday and talk with them. Maybe I might get lucky. They were great in copying all the naturalization records they had of my family for me.

That was a difficult process because the records were bound into books therefore the copies are not the greatest but, if they issued the certificates and retained a copy maybe I can get one.

Won't hurt to try.

Liz, thanks again. Will let you all know.

lilbees
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Certificate of naturalization Reply with quote

Have you tried writing away under FOIA? You can request the complete file of your ancestor using a G-639 form I believe and there may be naturalization info in the file. Its worth a try.

Calabria Exchange
lilbees
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Certificate of naturalization Reply with quote

Nuccia, I have all their immigration papers but do not have the pretty little certificate. Would writing to them help me get a copy of that or the entire file? Love the certificate and would definitely frame them to hang on the wall. I mean having a good copy would be great. But the certificate would be even better.

ilbees

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Certificate of naturalization Reply with quote

I'm not sure..I was lucky enough to get my grandparents certificates when they died but I'm not sure if there is a copy of the actual certificate in their files (Citizenship and Immigration file) or its a one time record.

I would check the website anyway and see what it says.

Also interesting..

www.familychronicle.co...onAct.html

Calabria Exchange

Last edited by nuccia on Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
lilbees
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Certificate of naturalization Reply with quote

Thanks, will do that later tonight.
Have a nice evening.
lilbees

chanchisfea
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Certificate of naturalization Reply with quote

I found the following while searching for a way to obtain the naturalization certificate of one's ancestors.

Quote::
What is the difference between a Declaration of Intention and Petition for Naturalization and a Certificate of Naturalization?

Prior to 1952, a two-step process was required before an immigrant could become a U.S. citizen. Filing a Declaration of Intention was the first step. The Declaration is sometimes referred to as the "first papers." The Declaration could be filed anytime after the immigrant arrived. Generally, the law required that the immigrant reside in the U.S. 5 years before the Petition for Naturalization, or "second papers" could be filed. After the formal proceedings by the court, when the immigrant signed the oath of allegiance, a Certificate of Naturalization was given to the immigrant as proof of citizenship. The Declaration and Petition remained on file at the court. Note: After 1952, a Declaration was no longer mandatory although some immigrants filed them.

I don't know how helpful that is, but I think that the "The Declaration and Petition remained on file at the court..." part pretty much means that the Naturalization Certificate was a "non-duplicate" type of document given to the naturalized individual.

For whatever reason, there are loads of websites that help people with obtaining copies of their naturalization certificates, but none addressess the "what if I want to obtain a copy of my ancestor's certificate?" question Confused Confused

Still looking...

Liz Cool

Transcripts for towns of Petrona' - San Vincenzo la Costa and Verzino, Italy Smile
chanchisfea
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Certificate of naturalization Reply with quote

I found something else, might help...hopefully Very Happy

Quote::
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (formerly known as the INS) holds naturalization certificate files, known as C-Files, for all naturalizations date after September 26, 1906. C-Files are duplicate copies of the original naturalization records and should contain at least a copy of the Declaration of Intention to become a US Citizen (to 1952), Petition for Naturalization, and Certificate of Naturalization. Occasionaly, C-Files contain additional documents or correspondence.

USCIS maintains an index to the C-Files, and can retrieve individual records based on name, date of birth, and place of birth. C-Files from 1906 to 1956 have been microfilmed, and are available via Freedom of Information/Privacy Act request to USCIS Headquarters in Washington, D.C. For naturalization records after 1956, Freedom of Information requests should be sent to the appropriate USCIS District Office.

Request the "Naturalization Certificate File (C-File)"
Provide the name, date of birth, place of birth (at least the country) and residence (city or county and state) of the naturalized citizen. If the individual was born less than 100 years ago, you'll also need to provide proof of death (such as sa death certificate), or notarized permission from the individual.
Requests for naturalization records from the USCIS can often take several months, so you may find it quicker to try these other options for pre-1906 naturalization records:

Look for the naturalization record in the local (usually county) court which served the immigrant's place of residence.

The Family History Library has microfilmed many naturalization records. Check the Family History Library Catalog to see what's available. These microfilms can be ordered and viewed through your local Family History Center.

Liz Cool

lilbees
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Certificate of naturalization Reply with quote

Liz,
The "C file" seems to be the key. After I check with the courthouse on Monday then I can go from there. Since I have a copy of the naturalization papers (Intention, Petition and Oath) and their death certificates hopefully, if they have a copy of the certificate, I can obtain one. Will let you all know how it goes.

Thanks for your digging around for me. It is really appreciated.

lilbees

JamesBianco
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Certificate of naturalization Reply with quote

chanchisfea wrote:

Here is the one I found:

Liz Cool

I can't get over how much that one reminds me of my Great-Grandmother Bianco's document

lilbees
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Certificate of naturalization Reply with quote

Hey James, I am really getting jealous now......................... I thought it was difficult waiting for birth and death records. Now I am going to be in the waiting game for a bunch more months. Oh well, it is worth it if I can obtain those certificates.

lilbees

Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Certificate of naturalization Reply with quote

I'm jealous too! How come Jim and Liz's have pictures and mine do not?!! Must be the year it was issued. My grandfather's was issed in 1917 or 1918.

lilbees
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Certificate of naturalization Reply with quote

Cathy, maybe I'll get lucky and have pictures on the ones I want. I am looking at finalizations of naturalization from 1922 to 1925.

Page 1 of 3All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Where do I begin? Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: