Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › They Came in Boats › Where do I begin? › Cannot connect the dots

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Cannot connect the dots
For help with starting your genealogy research.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Where do I begin? Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lotus45tiye
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Cannot connect the dots Reply with quote

Hello everyone: Help!
I have been communitating with two individuals on Rootsweb.com about the "Pica family", which I have jsut discovered is my maternal great grandmother name, Angelina Pica, from Jersey City, NJ. I cannot seem to make a connection to the info they are finding, due to the lack of info on my Angelina. Going to the NJ state archives next Thursday to get DC's and another other docs I can find on my GP and GGP's, hopefully this will give me their parents names and dates of birth. Problem is how do I identify these individuals on the Ellis Island records? as some of the names are common on these records. Also if there is no parents listed on the docs from the archives, how do I connect them to there siblings? Any ideas.

BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Cannot connect the dots Reply with quote

Hi

Lets start with your great grandmothers name - Angelina Pica. What was her husbands full name, what year was she born (approx.), what year did she come to the US (approx.) what year did her husband come to US (approx.) what is her maiden name, what are their childrens names and approximate years of birth (which one is your grandmother). Were they married in the US or Italy.

Give as much detailed information as you can so people on the forum can help you out.

Mangiardi, Tedeschi/Tedesco, Zangari, Coda, DeFrancesco, Ierulli, Bava, Daniele, Valente
BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot connect the dots Reply with quote

Possible 1920 census for Angelina Pica
Page 1
img352.imageshack.us/i...icaeh4.png
page 2
img368.imageshack.us/i...susew9.png

Let me know if this is a possibility

Mangiardi, Tedeschi/Tedesco, Zangari, Coda, DeFrancesco, Ierulli, Bava, Daniele, Valente
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot connect the dots Reply with quote

ugh..Billie..the images are too small! Can you try again and make them larger? kiss

Calabria Exchange
BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot connect the dots Reply with quote

Lets see if this is better

Page 1
Bad link
Page 2
Bad link

Edit to post revised links......Steve I can't open yours....I'll give it one more shot.

Page 1
img232.imageshack.us/i...0p1dm0.jpg
Page 2
img142.imageshack.us/i...0p2ur2.jpg

Last edited by BillieDeKid on Fri May 09, 2008 8:48 am; edited 2 times in total
stevenspringer
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot connect the dots Reply with quote

sorry billie were still small, here is one i found

hotimg18.fotki.com/p/a...6/pica.gif

Researching: DiLenge,Taiano,Lagonigro,Bertoli,Holick(Holick and every other way spelt), Rykowski, Hraba,Roman
stevenspringer
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot connect the dots Reply with quote

heres page 2

hotimg17.fotki.com/p/a.../pica2.gif

Researching: DiLenge,Taiano,Lagonigro,Bertoli,Holick(Holick and every other way spelt), Rykowski, Hraba,Roman
lotus45tiye
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Cannot connect the dots Reply with quote

Hello everyone, thank you for the census records. This census is connected to the other woman I have been corresponding with on Rootsweb. Joseph Pica and wife Rosa Russo with children, who are from Sala Consilina, close to Sant' Arsenio. Ages of all individuals on this census are too young, her GM Caterine Pica was born in 1906. My grandmother Caterina Flora was married by 1913, born May 16,1892, this makes her mother Angelina Pica born around 1870's, around 50 yrs by 1920. I think this Joseph Pica may possible be a younger brother of my GGM Angelina Pica, cannot verify this so far. I have found no census for my GGP. Found two ship manifests for Guiseppe or Giuseppe Flora from 1894 and 1899, persons listed with him on both records are common surnames in my family tree, Ippolito, Costa, Coiro and Pica, still checking on the Armagno surname. Also found ship manifest for Angela Pica,19 yrs dated 1893, from S. Rosario, with a Rosa Pica age 22 and two Ippolito's. Do any of the Ellis Ilsand records list that actual dates of birth?

Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Cannot connect the dots Reply with quote

Do these records belong to your family?

1907 ship manifest for Angela Pica (age 40, yob about 1867) and children, Caterina (age 14, yob about 1893), Antonio and Maddelena--joining father/husband Giuseppe Frola (possibly a typo for Flora?) in Jersey City
img384.imageshack.us/i...907pm3.jpg

1920 census for Joseph Flora (widower) and for Joseph and Carrie? Terranova and family
img440.imageshack.us/i...920kx0.jpg

1930 census for Joseph and Caterine Terranova and family
img384.imageshack.us/i...930sg9.jpg

Biff

"You live as long as you are remembered." -- Russian proverb
lotus45tiye
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot connect the dots Reply with quote

OMG! Thats my GGM Angelina and kids! Caterina, Maddelina and Antonio how did you find the ship manifest? I have been looking under Pica and Flora. 1907 is a supprise, thought they arrived many years earler. I have the census for 1930 for 216 Palisade Ave.. did not have the 1920 census, that is my GF Joseph and GM Caterina (Carrie) and three uncles, also see GGF Joseph Flora and his son living at 333 Sip, same house all my mothers siblings were born in! &^*%&* you guys are great! Just called Holy Name Cemetery, they found a plot for Jos & Angelina Flora, writing for info, will give me info I need. LOL, If I could figure out how to give you a banana dance I would! You have made my day, thank you.

Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot connect the dots Reply with quote

lotus45tiye wrote:
LOL, If I could figure out how to give you a banana dance I would! You have made my day, thank you.
Here you go!!
party party

Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot connect the dots Reply with quote

With verification that the above records are correct, Angela or Angelina Pica Flora would have died sometime between her arrival in 1907 and the 1920 census, possibly in New Jersey. In 1920 Caterina's brother Antonio would have been about 22 and her sister Maddalena about 17. Thus far, I've been unable to locate them in the 1920 census. Also trying to locate the 1910 census for Giuseppe Flora and wife Angel(in)a and children.

Biff

"You live as long as you are remembered." -- Russian proverb
lotus45tiye
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot connect the dots Reply with quote

Thanks for the bunch Cathy, and thank you Biff for helping me. It was difficult enough to search my GP's records, adding GGP's was becomming overwhelming.
I have not been able to find the correct Flora's on a 1920 or 1910 census.
It is possible that my Great Aunt Maddelina may have been married by 1920's, to Frank Cappola, family also lived in Jesey City, 319 Sip Ave I do believe. I know I have some census records at home for the Cappola's. I do know that Jos Flora eventually lived with Maddelina in his elder years.
Great Uncle Tony may be more difficult as he was a vaudvillian! Stage name of Joe Baxter,he never married and he may have moved to NYC.
Have to say you are a great group!

lotus45tiye
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Cannot connect the dots Reply with quote

Ok, I am truly in awe of the level of knowledge and experience you all have, but are you pulling rabbits out of hats! I have been to Ellis Island and Castle Garden sites entering every combination of names I could think of and cannot find this 1907 Manifest record on Angelina Pica, even tried Frola. Where did you find this record?

BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Cannot connect the dots Reply with quote

Nice job Biff!!! kiss

Page 1 of 2All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Where do I begin? Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: