Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › General › General Discussion Groups › Super Delay!

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Super Delay!
Want to share something new or just have fun? You can do that here.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index General Discussion Groups Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MauroMags
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Super Delay! Reply with quote

I submitted a request for microfilm at my local fhc on January 9th!!!

And the film is still on backorder. Is anyone experiencing this kind of delay?
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Delay! Reply with quote

You should ask James. He ordered some films eight months ago and is still waiting for them! He's been complaining about this for weeks now.

Calabria Exchange
charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Delay! Reply with quote

I have been researching film for 5 1/2 years at the Valley Forge FHC and it has been taking almost 3 months after placing the order per film for the last 18 months or so.

Normally it would take 3-4 weeks. I have been told that since they began their project to digitalize the microfilm, they have less help for the film order processing. The only exception to the "long lead time" was of course when I was away on vacation --- the film arrived in about two weeks Question

The local volunteers can't do anything about this, but I really have lost a lot of time and momentum --- lately I have begun ordering the next film on the day I begin working with a newly received film ---- I am trying to avoid renewing a film a 2nd time as I am working through a batch of 80 films for Corato --- which is already going to cost over $400.

Researching: Corato, Provincia di Bari in Puglia e San Giorgio Albanese, Provincia di Cosenza in Calabria.
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Super Delay! Reply with quote

Holy cow Charlie!!! Shocked 80 films!!! hide I have been ordering films for 3 months and got 1 film in. My FHC always took 4 weeks at the longest and I often received films after 2 weeks. It has definitely slowed up. Fortunately, I have plenty of films to keep me busy. And if I make it through my films there are dozens of others from the nearby towns I could scan and put on The Cosenza Exchange

JamesBianco
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Delay! Reply with quote

Well you guys really made me feel better! I was thinking it was some sort of shortcoming on the part of our new director.

I have films backordered from December, January and February (9 in total)

1 film in 10 has come in for me, and the list of backorders is now around 150 for the center itself. I noticed the last night I was there people have been calling in to the center frustrated and confused, because (as was mentioned above) the typical turnaround has always been about 3 weeks.

Sad

Emmy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Delay! Reply with quote

Mostly it has been taking about 4/6 weeks for films to come in- I was told it takes longer if you are requesting them on indefinate loan. I always order them on indefinate loan, (I was told, initially they have to get special permission,(from someone in a promoted position?) if you want the films to be ordered this way) it does cost a bit more but I feel its worth it, but its not really too expensive. and the films are always on hand if I need to go back and check anything and there's no pressure then when I want to copy the films.
The ladies at the FHC have even allocated a drawer in one of their filing cabinets with my name on it just for my films so its so easy to gain access to them. But last year, around April/May I ordered 3 films and they didnt arrive until late January this year. I was told the delay was because the person who was dealing with copying the film hadnt completed the process before she left to go to another area Confused
But no matter how long the films take to come its worth the wait!!
Emmy

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Delay! Reply with quote

I know it took forever for some of my Reggio films to come in. I also order mine on permanant loan now. No point in returning them..I use them so much.

Calabria Exchange
charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Super Delay! Reply with quote

Cathy wrote:
Holy cow Charlie!!! Shocked 80 films!!! hide I have been ordering films for 3 months and got 1 film in. My FHC always took 4 weeks at the longest and I often received films after 2 weeks. It has definitely slowed up. Fortunately, I have plenty of films to keep me busy. And if I make it through my films there are dozens of others from the nearby towns I could scan and put on The Cosenza Exchange

Hi Cathy,

I was spoiled with San Giorgio Albanese which only has a total of 6 films, but it is a much smaller town.......Corato now has about 50K abitani......

Researching: Corato, Provincia di Bari in Puglia e San Giorgio Albanese, Provincia di Cosenza in Calabria.
ricbru
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Delay! Reply with quote

FHL of Salt Lake city should receive tons of complainings from all of you via email, stating that it is so ridiculos to wait 4 or 5 months to get some microfilms from that headquarter.
We are living on 2008, in the internet era, we must push them to have all those records to be put on line, also with the help of Ancestry or so.
Let's start this all together!!!
bye Riccardo

HELP ME to find the ship manifest of 1902 to USA, about my GGFather Francesco Paolo BRUNO from Trapani (1860/1938)
charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Delay! Reply with quote

ricbru wrote:
FHL of Salt Lake city should receive tons of complainings from all of you via email, stating that it is so ridiculos to wait 4 or 5 months to get some microfilms from that headquarter.
We are living on 2008, in the internet era, we must push them to have all those records to be put on line, also with the help of Ancestry or so.
Let's start this all together!!!
bye Riccardo

I don't think we can really complain or do they need to listen to us. The Mormon Church has made this available to all as a courtesy ---- it was initially intended for the use of their members. Their decision to allow outsiders (all of us) to view the docs might have helped them obtain permission to film the documenti, but they are under no real obligation to allow access. Most of the folks who staff their libraries are volunteers. The problem is that they are converting the microfilm to digital format (and hopefully this will be available on the Internet in some fashion). This has got to be an unbelievably enormous task as their are millions of reels of microfilm involved that mus be converted. I think that all will be done by their volunteers.

They no longer have access to Ancestry.com ever since ancestry.com was sold to new owners ---- the new owners revoked their agreement with the FHC that allowed them to offer ancestry.com for free to library patrons. I doubt if they would now aid the FHC in digitizing their records, unless the FHC wanted to lose control of their data which ancestry.com would charge people to see.

ricbru
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Super Delay! Reply with quote

So at least they are working in order to digitalize everything. I also can see that for FHL is something like a business, because they let you pay a rent for a reel of about $ 6 for 3 weeks, renewable for other $ 6 dollars, that I think it is a lot.
So at this point I don't think their service is considered a "courtesy", they have a web site, and they are there to help people to find their own ancestors, but thousands of people are nowadays sick and tired for waiting too much to have reels.
Since FHC is digitalizing the copies of records, I hope they can do their own web site (just like ancestry) and put the records on line for a fee, so no one will wait for months to have a reel. I hope you understand my point
Regards
Riccardo

HELP ME to find the ship manifest of 1902 to USA, about my GGFather Francesco Paolo BRUNO from Trapani (1860/1938)
tjbrn
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Super Delay! Reply with quote

I agree with Riccardo. When there is a service for a fee expectations are definitely set and the one contracting for those services has a right to reasonable treatment. I have waited for over four months now for film from my local FHC; however, beside the wait time, one of the most frustrating aspects of the experience is the apparent lack of concern by the FHC to make an attempt to rectify the situation which is compounded by the maddening fact that the same film I have paid for is inexplicably on indefinite loan at another FHC in my home state of NJ. Each film is paid for in advance so in a very real sense my money is ineffective for my own use but entirely at the disposal of LDS. There are times when business practices should be more than just lip service, especially when one is paying for that service.

Also, all public libraries in my area offer free access to the premium version of Ancestry.com as long as one uses one of the library's computers. It would be convenient to be able to log in remotely to the library's computer system and access Ancestry but this option is unavailable under the terms of the agreement with the public library system and Ancestry.

Heritage Quest Online is also free to any public library member and its services are available remotely by simply contacting one's local library for the access code which permits one to use the service.

Just my 2 cents or $5.50 per as the case may be!

Scribbling
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Super Delay! Reply with quote

The LDS new website that contains the digital images is AWESOME and will knock Ancestry out of business. No doubt, Ancestry knows this. The digital images are better quality than Ancestry and in my opinion, they have done a fabulous job indexing (better than Ancestry). To make it even better the site is free. None of the Italian information is online yet (I have heard they have net started that yet) but what they have so far is breathtaking. Most of the staff has been pulled for this project. With everyone putting their films on permanent loan, I have been told they are hesitant to make new films. I am torn because I want my microfilms!! On the other hand, I prefer the records online! Unless they get more volunteers to help scan and index, I don't see how they can keep up. It is frustrating. Don't they know the answers to my great grandmother's next 2 generations are on that film I am waiting for!! Wink
If you have not done so already, sign up for access to the new site. It takes several weeks to get access but is well worth the wait.
search.labs.familysearch.org

lilbees
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Super Delay! Reply with quote

Cathy,
I registered some time ago and received my confirmation almost immediately. I have been assisting in some of the data entry for this program. Let me tell you, it is very time consuming and difficult. Working from the microfilm and being as accurate as possible is very tedious and exacting. I haven't gotten very far as yet but still working.

I guess volunteers are from all over the country and the proofing process (after you do your own proofing) is then done by FH staff. Before you can go on you will be notified of any errors and then changes made.

It is still fun to do since this is something I love to do.

lilbees

Emmy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Delay! Reply with quote

Cathy this may sound silly but as I am already registered with FamilySearch.org do I need to register again for this new site?
I couldnt find anywhere on the link you posted about registering.

I did try it out though and its great. I cheated a bit because I was checking on a record I already had that had taken me a long time to find and 'WOW' I found the information on this site within 5 minutes.
Thanks for the link
Emmy

Page 1 of 2All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index General Discussion Groups Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: