Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › General › General Discussion Groups › Where is EVeryone???

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Where is EVeryone???
Want to share something new or just have fun? You can do that here.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index General Discussion Groups Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Where is EVeryone??? Reply with quote

What a quiet weekend! I see that we have had over 4000 views yesterday and yet no one is talking (including me)!

Here its Victoria Day and a long holiday weekend which means many Canadians are working on their gardens. Unfortunately it rained all weekend here and its cold so we didn't get much done outside but I did manage to clean and cook up a storm.

okay I am finally going to sit down and relax....

Calabria Exchange
tjbrn
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is EVeryone??? Reply with quote

I was thinking the same thing even as I check the site many times this weekend. Soooo, I was wondering if any of our site visitors have had first hand experience regarding this news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/eu...408399.stm

Scribbling
Luca
Translator
Translator

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is EVeryone??? Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Napoli è effettivamente in quella condizione, purtroppo, ma non tutta l'Italia è Napoli. Anzi: è esattamente il contrario. Venite tranquillamente in Italia (se avete già deciso un viaggio) perché NON C'E ALCUN PROBLEMA DI SICUREZZA.
Fidatevi.

Luca
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is EVeryone??? Reply with quote

Luca,

I will have to answer in English since I can't reply in Italian..

We were discussing this same thing on another forum this morning. While I know Naples is in bad shape, I really don't remember it being that bad. And I thought the rest of Italy was beautiful..clean actually so I am so surprised that the "news" would pick this one particular thing to discuss about Italy. I guess they will do almost anything for ratings, huh?

Calabria Exchange
Aether
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is EVeryone??? Reply with quote

Nuccia, Luca and all,

Well the Yahoo.it posts a lot on the problem in Naples. Seems that this last days became even worst due to people torching the piles of garbage.

Really a pity to have that image of the city. So many beautiful buildings, art, the view from the hills!

I noticed that Calabria and Basilicata are super clean, it seems like the streets are washed! Not a piece of paper!

Must say that some tourists do no show much respect - many times I get into fights - Venice in particular - when I see garbage discarded in San Marco!!! Banana peels!!!

Rome also has problems, and again... but not all the time, generally when strikes are going on!

Aether Embarassed Mr. Green Mr. Green

Aether

Account Deactivated
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is EVeryone??? Reply with quote

Aether wrote:
Nuccia, Luca and all,

I noticed that Calabria and Basilicata are super clean, it seems like the streets are washed!
Aether Embarassed Mr. Green Mr. Green
So is that where Nuccia gets her penchant for washing the street!!!! Shocked
I no longer pay attention to the news or the press unless something disasterous occurs. The press has become unethical, cheap and seedy. You can't beleive much of what they say anymore.

tjbrn
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is EVeryone??? Reply with quote

News coverage has definitely evolved over the years, exchanging its informational aspect for more overt entertainment value which can be tragic for listeners who rely on this information in its purer form. Case in point. Programming was interrupted in our area for hours by the local news station because of "developing severe weather conditions". The weather people had a field day with all of their electronic gadgetry and flashing colors with the latest doppler weather technology and laptops tracking lightning strikes--you get the picture. This seems to happen with increasing frequency in our area, I guess the standard set by our fear-baiting president, has too many people knee-jerking when they ought to be thinking. The sad part about all of this is that this crying wolf syndrome simply prompts people to ignore it so my wife and I to turned off the unremitting bombardment of the weather people and went to bed early. The next day we learn that at least two tornados touched down around us, one of them was only a mile or so from our house. Subsequent reporting detailed the extensiveness of the damage but seeing it first hand the other day was sobering and sent a shiver down my spine as I considered what might have been as we slept so unaware!

Scribbling
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is EVeryone??? Reply with quote

Jesus Tom..that's awful! Thank God you and your family are safe. I have been hearing a lot about these tornados. This weather is so scary...and the news media just scares people more. Thats why other than watching a good movie (which is rare in itself) I do not watch t.v. nor do I really read the paper. Its too depressing.

Some may think its ignorant for me not to read newspapers and keep up with current events but I would rather be ignorant than afraid every day of my life.

Calabria Exchange
Aether
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Where is EVeryone??? Reply with quote

Nuccia,

Right you are. It is just so much of bad, or made up bad news we can take. Not to mention the political scene, the bad old movies, the disasters and so forth! The crime!

Glad your are OK! In CA - we shake and roll! In OKLA once we stayed under a bridge to escape - next thing? Our car had no paint left!

So, I was thinking Question Why don't we start some good positive posts? Something to lift our spirits , such as bits on art, music, travel? Not super scholarly but fun and informative?

I posted about my experience in the Sistine- a very positive one. However during my travails I have encountered all sort of goofy situations!

What do you think? Should we share ?

And yes - they wash the sidewalks in Calabria- early morning!

Abbracci, Sophia Wink

Aether

Account Deactivated
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Where is EVeryone??? Reply with quote

Positive posts ALWAYS have my vote!

Oh..and washing the streets is a good thing.... Very Happy

Calabria Exchange
tjbrn
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Where is EVeryone??? Reply with quote

OK. Positive. I'm not ducking tornadoes this morning but I am doing this.
tomarie.tzo.com/wp/200...e-vintner/

Scribbling
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is EVeryone??? Reply with quote

You know..I was just thinking...

When we started the "original" Gente, we (Carole, Simona and I) we did it with the intention that this forum would focus on genealogy and our "sister" site, Amici would focus on all other issues like politics, news and day to day issues.

I was looking through the posts and I thought that it still might be a good idea to go throw this out there and remind everyone they can still do this if they like. As a matter of fact, I would like to get opinions on this from everyone. Would we all like to keep Gente as is or perhaps streamline it a bit and move all the non genealogy related "stuff" to Amici?

Remember, this is JUST an idea..there is no pressure to anyone. I am just trying to keep things in perspective and keep you all happy (oh, and us happy, too... Wink )

Please, post and let us know your thoughts on this.

Calabria Exchange
tjbrn
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is EVeryone??? Reply with quote

I agree with you Nuccia. I got carried away Embarassed I sampled a little too much of what I was bottling Very Happy

Scribbling
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is EVeryone??? Reply with quote

tjbrn wrote:
I sampled a little too much of what I was bottling Very Happy

Did you? Can you send some over my way, please???? kiss

Calabria Exchange
goganga
Dev
Dev

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is EVeryone??? Reply with quote

nuccia wrote:
You know..I was just thinking...

When we started the "original" Gente, we (Carole, Simona and I) we did it with the intention that this forum would focus on genealogy and our "sister" site, Amici would focus on all other issues like politics, news and day to day issues.

I was looking through the posts and I thought that it still might be a good idea to go throw this out there and remind everyone they can still do this if they like. As a matter of fact, I would like to get opinions on this from everyone. Would we all like to keep Gente as is or perhaps streamline it a bit and move all the non genealogy related "stuff" to Amici?

Remember, this is JUST an idea..there is no pressure to anyone. I am just trying to keep things in perspective and keep you all happy (oh, and us happy, too... Wink )

Please, post and let us know your thoughts on this.

Thanks for your idea, Nuccia.
Maybe this could be the right input to remove some dust from an old great project for Amici.
Very Happy

>> Amici Over the Ocean

>>Simona - Redazione CanaleGenoa
  Page 1 of 2All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index General Discussion Groups Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: