91: Community Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

Napolitano - Falzarano, Airola
Last post by goldfreaz in Southern Italy on Jun 15, 2017 at 01:29:50

How do we preserve our Genealogical research for the future?
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Jun 14, 2017 at 23:36:52

Maria Perri
Last post by MikeBarbato in Southern Italy on Jun 14, 2017 at 16:57:18

Lanni Family Sant Elia FR
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on May 31, 2017 at 10:03:19

Vuozzo Surname
Last post by Biff83 in About Us on Apr 29, 2017 at 19:15:44

Translate Do(edited)ent
Last post by Italysearcher in Translations on Apr 17, 2017 at 16:08:33

Ghio in Portovenere
Last post by Marko in Southern Italy on Mar 14, 2017 at 17:31:06

Birth Record for GGF and GGM
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Mar 12, 2017 at 21:49:52

Calabria Record
Last post by JoeBlack36 in Southern Italy on Mar 11, 2017 at 15:53:00

Cassivi from Ragusa
Last post by Italysearcher in Southern Italy on Feb 28, 2017 at 16:54:25

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › Meeting distant cousins

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Meeting distant cousins

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lotus45tiye
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Meeting distant cousins Reply with quote

Hello all;
Just an update on our search for the Terranova family. Cousin Barbara and I will meet for the very first time! Planning a trip to the NJ State Archives in June and we both are thrilled. kiss

Need advise, I wrote to the L'Ufficiale di Anagrafe in both Trentinara and Sant' Arsenio on April 16, they have not responded yet. should I follow up with another letter? or an I just being impatient.

Also received a burial list from Holy Name Cemetery. Was told by the office staff that I would receive info on dates of birth, etc. Burial list only shows names, grave sites, dated of interment and funeral homes. No info on dates of birth, spouses, etc.. Is there a specific document I should have asked for? Do funeral homes keep old records? Thanks

stevenspringer
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Meeting distant cousins Reply with quote

Cant help you with the questions, but CONGRATS on getting to meet a distant cousin!

Researching: DiLenge,Taiano,Lagonigro,Bertoli,Holick(Holick and every other way spelt), Rykowski, Hraba,Roman
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Meeting distant cousins Reply with quote

lotus45tiye wrote:
Hello all;
Just an update on our search for the Terranova family. Cousin Barbara and I will meet for the very first time! Planning a trip to the NJ State Archives in June and we both are thrilled. kiss

Thats awesome. Meeting a cousin and seeing the archives! Remember, you can't bring anything in there except a notebook and a pencil. Call ahead and make sure of what is allowed in.

lotus45tiye wrote:
Need advise, I wrote to the L'Ufficiale di Anagrafe in both Trentinara and Sant' Arsenio on April 16, they have not responded yet. should I follow up with another letter? or an I just being impatient.

Wait until the end of June and then follow up. Two months is not unheard of. I wrote in December and only got my reply in late March/early April! Thats the longest I have ever waited for anything. If you have a number or know someone you could try phoning them.

lotus45tiye wrote:
Also received a burial list from Holy Name Cemetery. Was told by the office staff that I would receive info on dates of birth, etc. Burial list only shows names, grave sites, dated of interment and funeral homes. No info on dates of birth, spouses, etc.. Is there a specific document I should have asked for? Do funeral homes keep old records? Thanks

I would make some phone calls and ask some more questions. Calling the funeral homes never hurts. Let us know what you find out, ok?

Calabria Exchange
lotus45tiye
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Meeting distant cousins Reply with quote

Thank you Steven and Nuccia. After all these years of research, finally finding a family member to share with is so gratifying, and as they say "two heads are better than one"
I did visit the State Archives in April so I am familiar with their restrictions. I take a print out from my Family Tree program and highlight the individuals that I want to work on. I will TRY and patiently wait a response from Trentinara and Sant' Arsenio, but.....
I have the phone numbers for the funeral homes and cemeteries with me today, your right, can't hurt to call and inquire. will let you know the outcome. Thanks for the info and support.

BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Meeting distant cousins Reply with quote

The funeral homes are great sources of information. That's how I found out the names of my grandparents mothers and fathers. It also listed the person that made the arrangements.

Mangiardi, Tedeschi/Tedesco, Zangari, Coda, DeFrancesco, Ierulli, Bava, Daniele, Valente
charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Meeting distant cousins Reply with quote

lotus45tiye wrote:
Hello all;

Have you tried to get a Death Certificate? I was able to get one for my Grandfather who died in NY State and it had my Great Grandparents' names listed; same for PA for my wife's GF. There are some restrictions on obtaining these based on your relationship (degree) to the deceased. Some states also provide "genealogical copies". How long ago did the person die ----- have you visited the cemetery? The gravestone is also a good source of info

Researching: Corato, Provincia di Bari e San Giorgio Albanese, Provincia di Cosenza
lotus45tiye
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Meeting distant cousins Reply with quote

I knew where most of the family members were buried so I requested a list of burial plots from Holy Name, as to obtain the exact dates of death which would assist in obtaining the DC's. Most died in the 20's and 30's. I was under the assumption (advised) that the list would supply the parents names, dates and places of birth, as to bring my research back another generation. A few people died in the 1940's & 1950 and unfortunately I will not be able to get these DC's as the accessable Archives records only date to 1940. These cemetery and funeral home records now become my main source of info. I thought that the cemetery kept a report of interments listing more info that what was supplied to me. Would love to have copies of the original documents.
I did call one furneral home and I am awaiting a return phone call. They do have "some" records but did not elaborate on the type and years. Wish me luck, hope they are more cooperative that the Archdiocese has been.

Page 1 of 1All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: