Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › Memories and Guides › PC Info and Guides › Windows Mail

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Windows Mail
For help with tech support and programs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index PC Info and Guides Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Windows Mail Reply with quote

I am using VISTA which comes with IE 7.0 (and I also use Firefox) and Windows Mail (which replaced Outlook Express). I use Windows Mail as my "primary" personal email tool. Lately I have been having a major problem with trying to send email as it gets into a funk from time to time and fails to send outgoing mail ---- other times it works like a charm. I searched the web for solutions and it suggested that I copy my mail folders, and then reload them. I have done something similar in the past when migrating to a new PC, but I always have qualms about doing a "major" fix like this......My question is if anyone else has experienced the same issue, and if so did you try this recommended fix, and lastly did it work?? Also any tips would be appreciated......Grazie mille

Researching: Corato, Provincia di Bari in Puglia e San Giorgio Albanese, Provincia di Cosenza in Calabria.
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Windows Mail Reply with quote

I had a similar problem. As soon as I log into that account it will send all the mail I sent out, other wise its holds it all! I just gave up using it. I never looked into it again but maybe I will now.

Calabria Exchange
tjbrn
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Windows Mail Reply with quote

Does your email client fail when you are "replying" to an email as opposed to writing a "new" email? Sometimes replies string together addresses so that the client won't send the email even though it appears to have a valid address. I don't use Vista and rarely do I use XP now that I have Macs so I am not familiar with Vista's new email client; however, I stopped using MS' email clients long before I switched to Macs. Since you also use FF, why not try out Thunderbird? You can import all of your email, addresses, etc. If it doesn't suit then it can be removed without interfering with your current setup. A second email client can also be used to archive email so that your primary email client doesn't get bloated with old email. Many email clients have a "rebuild" feature which essentially compresses the database to improve performance; however, I don't know if this is available with Vista's mail client, it is with Thunderbird.

Scribbling
charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Windows Mail Reply with quote

I actually use T-Bird but for my business email. I know that it is possible to have separate accounts in one email tool, I just feel it is safer keeping each eamil account in separate email programs. I have used Outlook Express for years and even though it had some shortcomings, it worked pretty well. Windows Mail has some improvements, but just like VISTA it still needs to be fully debugged. I did find a simple find ---- I need to close the winMail program in the Program Manager --- it worked and hopefully I can limp along until they fix the software some day.......Thanks

Researching: Corato, Provincia di Bari in Puglia e San Giorgio Albanese, Provincia di Cosenza in Calabria.
rfornal
Mod
Mod

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Windows Mail Reply with quote

Also remember that your antivirus program can block some or all e-mail functions when using Windows Mail ... I use a free antivirus program called Avast! that does not conflict with Windows Mail. You can always install Outlook Express which does not have this issue.

charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Windows Mail Reply with quote

Thanks Bob ---- I have been using AVG (which I believe is now compatible with VISTA, IE7.0 and Windows Mail and I keep it updated to the latest version) and also Zone Labs as my FW S/W. I have read reports that this is a know bug in Windows Mail ---- it works sometimes but it still locks up from time-to-time and I can't pinpoint what triigers it to do so

rfornal
Mod
Mod

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows Mail Reply with quote

Glad to hear that about AVG ... I was installing my new machine while it was not compatible ... time to change back.

I wasw just thinking that there might be a port being blocked for that e-mail by your service provider. Look into the e-mail service and determine which port they use when sending, and then contact the service provider to see if they block it ... many do to minimize spam being sent. Usually, the mail host will have a workaround in their FAQs.

charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows Mail Reply with quote

rfornal wrote:
Glad to hear that about AVG ... I was installing my new machine while it was not compatible ... time to change back.

I wasw just thinking that there might be a port being blocked for that e-mail by your service provider. Look into the e-mail service and determine which port they use when sending, and then contact the service provider to see if they block it ... many do to minimize spam being sent. Usually, the mail host will have a workaround in their FAQs.

Hi Bob,

Wouldn't my mail be "consistently" blocked then? It can work for a few weeks and then not work for a day or a week???? It is very intermittent ----I have heard that the mail files get corrupted. If I then run some maintenance routines (FIX-IT UTILITIES 8.0 Professional ---- I hate Norton, not the product, just the company), I can usually get it working again....

neclord

rfornal
Mod
Mod

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Windows Mail Reply with quote

This would be a consistent block ... an inconsistent block on send does sound like it might be something corrupted, but then again, that would affect incoming mail as well.

Have you considered installing Outlook Express ... it will work in Vista, rather than using the Windows Mail which is known to be "buggy?"

charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows Mail Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

I did some investigation about using Outlook Express 6.0 again , but my understanding it is built as a component of IE 6.0 and will not operate independently. I am currently using Vista/IE7.0. I do use Thunderbird, but I use this with email for my job (I am semi-retired); I don't want to mix my business mail with my personal email.

I have also downloaded a copy of Eudora, but it is not so great.

tjbrn
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows Mail Reply with quote

Try Pocomail. It's not free but it's a good program and secure since it uses none of the Windows hooks to IE, etc.. I used it when I was a Windows user.
www.pocosystems.com/ho...&Itemid=25

Scribbling
rfornal
Mod
Mod

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows Mail Reply with quote

Sorry, got my packages confused ... that's what I get being on the road a lot. Try Outlook, which should be a complete installation as a part of MS Office (any version that you own would do).

Page 1 of 1All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index PC Info and Guides Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: