Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › General › General Discussion Groups › TV Program of interest....

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
TV Program of interest....
Want to share something new or just have fun? You can do that here.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index General Discussion Groups Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JB5150
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: TV Program of interest.... Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I don't know if any of you have DirecTV (we just got it), but apparently BYU has a channel in their lineup. I was looking through the listings today and there is a program called Ancestors on at 9 Eastern tonight that is supposed to be about using technology/the internet to do genealogy research. I'm not sure if this is a series or what, but I set the DVR up to tape it. Who knows-- the info may be stuff we already know, but I'm curious to see what it's about. It's channel 374 for me-- not sure what it would be in other areas. Anyway, just thought I would give everyone a head's up!

-Jill
JB5150
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: TV Program of interest.... Reply with quote

Ok, so I watched the program, and if you didn't catch it, you didn't miss much. It was a re-run. From 1997! They started off with a segment about inmates in prison doing genealogy research (a little odd, I must admit.....should we be looking out for ex-cons at the family history center now?). They also talked about using the computer for research, but given that the program is over 10 years old, the info was way out of date. The show is part of a series, but I can't imagine that any of the other episodes would be that helpful. Oh well!
joannsalvo
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: TV Program of interest.... Reply with quote

In the fall lineup for 2008.
BURBANK - March 11, 2008 -- NBC will team up with executive producer Lisa Kudrow ("Friends," "The Comeback") in conjunction with her production company Is or Isn't Entertainment and the U.K.'s Wall to Wall productions for a unique alternative program "Who Do You Think You Are?" -- based on the popular BBC television documentary series created and executive produced by Alex Graham -- that will highlight one of America's most beloved celebrities each week and trace their family tree to reveal surprising, extraordinary and moving stories of their ancestors.

The announcement was made today by Craig Plestis, Executive Vice President, Alternative Programming, Development and Specials, NBC Entertainment.

"This engaging new series gives viewers a glimpse into the personal lives of our favorite celebrities allowing us to learn not only more about that individual, but also about our country's history on a grand scale," said Plestis. "I think at the heart of every American is the burning desire to understand who you are and where you came from. We hope this series will inspire our viewers to investigate their own intriguing past."

"The show's combination of wonderful storytelling and powerful emotion has made it a break-out hit with British viewers and we're sure American audiences will love it too," said Alex Graham, creator and executive producer. "We're thrilled that a star of the caliber of Lisa Kudrow has such faith in the show that she wanted to be a part of the creative team. We're looking forward to a great relationship with Lisa's company and with NBC."

Each episode will take viewers on an inspiring, emotional and personal journey following one of America's best-known celebrities into his or her past, sharing the celebrity's emotion and surprise as they uncover stories of heroism and tragedy, love and betrayal, passion and intrigue that lie at the heart of their family story. At the same time, the series celebrates the making of our great nation and the people who made their way here in search of freedom and opportunity. As each one discovers their unknown relatives, the show will take the audience back into history around the world and show how the lives of everyone's collective ancestors' have shaped today's world. The series uses genealogy to unravel the major themes in history's great stories while incorporating a charming and captivating narrative to link the tales as they unfold.

"Who Do You Think You Are?" is produced by Wall to Wall productions in association with Is Or Isn't Entertainment. Alex Graham from Wall to Wall and Lisa Kudrow, Dan Bucatinsky and Don Roos from Is or Isn't Entertainment are the executive producers.

Wall to Wall is an Emmy Award-winning producer of factual and drama programming. Recently voted one of the seven most creative production companies in the world by the Real Screen Global 100 List, Wall to Wall is best known in the U.S. for the break-out reality formats "Frontier House" and "Colonial House." Is or Isn't Entertainment has been developing and producing television for the last five years, producing the critically acclaimed and Emmy nominated series "The Comeback
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: TV Program of interest.... Reply with quote

Wow! That sounds great! How do I volunteer so I can stop working so hard! Razz

Carole
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: TV Program of interest.... Reply with quote

They've just started showing the latest (third) series of this very popular programme on the BBC. I can watch it in Italy and it is GREAT! One of this series 'stars' is Jerry Springer (yes that one....). That's in a couplke of weeks time I think.

I 'discovered' the programme when they did a re-run of series 2 recently , fell in love with it and last week bought the dvd's of Series 1 and 2 from eBay....

If you haven't seen it or heard of it - I can promise you that you will love it...Some of the revelations for these 'stars' are incredible and some will, honestly, bring tears of sadness to your eyes.

Here is a small clip from last weeks programme for the current Mayor of London - Boris Johnson - <WDYTYA - BORIS JOHNSON<

Researching: EDMED, SAVILL, TYSON, NEWCOMBE, STAPLETON, GUNTER, STAPLES
If you think education is expensive -try ignorance!

>Expats in Italy<
Come and join 'Dork and Friends'! >New Blog<
Robert
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: TV Program of interest.... Reply with quote

I watched the episode of 'Who do you think you are?' last night featuring Jerry Springer and have to say it was surprisingly touching and sad. He was very emotional himself throughout the programme (his parents were Holocaust survivors) and the whole programme was interesting and really quite sad.

Goes to show, you really do not know someone just going by their TV persona...

Carole
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: TV Program of interest.... Reply with quote

Robert wrote:
I watched the episode of 'Who do you think you are?' last night featuring Jerry Springer and have to say it was surprisingly touching and sad. He was very emotional himself throughout the programme (his parents were Holocaust survivors) and the whole programme was interesting and really quite sad.

Goes to show, you really do not know someone just going by their TV persona...

I agree Robert - I watched that too and like you I was very moved by the sad story - especially the 'gas vans'! I was in tears almost from the start as indeed was Jerry Springer himself. So humble, and - as you say - soooo different from his screen persona!

Here's a short, sad taste of this episode:

>WDYTYA - Jerry Springer!<

>Expats in Italy<
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: TV Program of interest.... Reply with quote

Unbelievable! I was able to see Part 1, 2 and 3 on utube and am waiting for parts 4 through 6. I really want to know how it turns out. So sad....

Calabria Exchange
Eleven
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: TV Program of interest.... Reply with quote

I just watched part 2-6 (i didnt see part one there). This, I am sure, gave Jerry many sleepless nights. If I knew I had that type of past, I doubt I would have done any researching. I used to find myself upset, when viewing the records of Italian towns, where baby after baby died. Or where families lost a child, and named the next one the same name, only to lose that one too. In my husbands family, I would see a husband bury the wife, mother and child, all within months. (I am sure due to some illness going around.)

I dont know about anyone else, but as I researched, the people became more than just some names on a paper, to me. I got emotionally involved..as if I knew them. (Is that nutty?) I could have never done, what Jerry did. I would probably never sleep again..lol

By the way..about a year or so, ago..I saw some old movie on tv..that showed these people being sent to one of these camps. If they had a profession that was of use..they lived..if not..they were taken to die. The film was about a group of people who planned an escape. In the end..some made it out..and some died trying. Its a true story. I cant recall the name of the picture..or which camp this was.

Nuccia, if you havent seen 4-6..click on the link in caroles post and look to the right..it has the other parts listed there and you can click them.
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: TV Program of interest.... Reply with quote

Thanks..he must have uploaded them after I viewed parts one, two and three..going there now.

Calabria Exchange
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: TV Program of interest.... Reply with quote

OMG..My first reaction on seeing part four was to be sick. How can one race try to totally wipe another race of people for no reason at all and so brutally? To think something like this actually happened and not that long ago?

Of course, I was touched at the end when he met his fathers cousin. Amazing story..amazing series.

Calabria Exchange
Eleven
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: TV Program of interest.... Reply with quote

I had the same reaction. I almost didnt look at the rest. I was also choked up when he met the fathers cousin.

I am sure they chose Jerry, because he had this type background. They are able to make a show, out of just the era, since there are film clips, etc. I dont think they can do that for just any family history.

What got me so interested in genealogy, was the tv movie "Roots", in the late 70s. I was absolutely fascinated by it..and was glued to the tv for the entire mini series. I have seen it several times, since. I never thought, back then, that 12 years later, I would be doing my own roots. I didnt even think it could be done.

In our life, we go on our merry little way...sometimes without ever realizing how people suffered, like these holocaust victims and the slaves. You have to wonder, if humans are the actual animals, and the animal kingdom are the more civilized.
Carole
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: TV Program of interest.... Reply with quote

This is the fifth series of this programme. I became hooked a short while ago and continued to bend Nuccia's ear about the few programmes I had seen from Series 4.

Not satisfied with that I have just bought (from eBay) a new set of the dvd's for the first two series. There's nearly 16 hours of programmes so that will be something really interesting for those cold winter nights.

I understand that one of them in this series - Jodie Kidd - has, among her ancestors, one of the 'founders' who arrived on the Mayflower!

Here's the BBC site:

>Who Do You Think You Are?<

>Expats in Italy<
joannsalvo
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: TV Program of interest.... Reply with quote

Highly anticipating this Lisa Kudrow produced Reality TV show for NBC called Who Do You Think You Are?

Set to begin on Mondays at 8 PM, April 20th, the program is actually based on a British series. The show will feature big named celebrities like Sarah Jessica Parker and Susan Sarandon, as they try to trace back their family trees…which sounds like fun, sentimental and maybe highly emotional. NBC says there is no other program quite like Think today and promises this to be personal but entertaining.

Lisa Kudrow won’t be in it, I suppose. But she is a big part of this show as the executive producer.

I wonder though if she will have her former Friends star in it, too. That would be lovely to watch!
Carole
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: TV Program of interest.... Reply with quote

Oh I can fully recommend the show... It's just started it's fourth series in the UK and (ask Nuccia) I'm a TOTAL addict.

Now that I can get UK tv programmes here in Italy I don't miss an episode, but I had missed the first three so I got those on disc from Amazon so I can gradually see them all.

Last series they 'did' Gerry Springer - now that was emotional - I posted the episode (in three parts) from You tube, here on "Gente".

Yes - do book an hour of your time to watch it - it is guaranteed to surprise not only you, but the 'stars' themselves. It brings some of 'em down to earth with a bump! A couple of ours discovered that their ancestors were so poor they were in the 'workhouse', and they discovered that another could be traced back to king Henry III! And only a couple of weeks ago the subect was a gggg(?)granddaughter of the British Surgeon General who was with Florence Nightingale in the Crimean War!

>Expats in Italy<
  Page 1 of 2All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index General Discussion Groups Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: