Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › General › Resource Pages › Ancestry Access 3 months...

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Ancestry Access 3 months...
Links to Useful Databases and Web Pages
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Resource Pages Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeB
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Ancestry Access 3 months... Reply with quote

I have bought into a 3 month subscription to Ancestry and would be happy to make searches for anyone interested. I have access beginning Mar 01, through Jun 15, 2009.

Also researching James Blackwell, Royal Regiment of Artillery in Ashton-Under-Lyne, County of Lancashire, England. b:1827 Macclesfield, County of Cheshire, England. d: About 1889 at Garden Island, Ontario, Canada.
Eleven
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Ancestry Access 3 months... Reply with quote

When the time comes, that your subscription is about to run out (two weeks before it does) call them to cancel it..or they will just continue to bill your credit card. That is, if you no longer want it.
tjbrn
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Ancestry Access 3 months... Reply with quote

I had a World Deluxe subscription and about a month or so before it expired I contacted Ancestry to renew at my current billing price ( a discounted amount) but I didn't even get a reply acknowledging my correspondence. It is very easy to cancel online, which I did. I subscribed for a year through an offer I sent to my home email while I was using the free Ancestry access at my local library--Ancestry is free at public libraries but the caveat is that one must access it on the libraries computers, remote access is not supported. Heritage Quest permits remote access through a local library's web site which is nice. Check out Ancestry access at a local library. The special discount offer may be available; at a third off full price, it is worth the trip to your library.

Scribbling
JoeB
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Ancestry Access 3 months... Reply with quote

Thanks Eleven and tjbrn. Maybe I jumped in too soon. It is nice on the home computer the way they tie everything together with my FTM and Ancestry Trees. It is also quite expensive. I'll give it this 3 month trial, worldwide + 14 free days. Then I'll back off and check out the local library. Thanks again for your help.

Also researching James Blackwell, Royal Regiment of Artillery in Ashton-Under-Lyne, County of Lancashire, England. b:1827 Macclesfield, County of Cheshire, England. d: About 1889 at Garden Island, Ontario, Canada.
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ancestry Access 3 months... Reply with quote

I had ancestry for almost 4 years. The first year it cost me almost 400 dollars Canadian. I thought it would be only half that much but I didn't know about the conversion at the time because no one mentioned it. I almost died when I saw it. I hid it from my husband for as long as I could..didn't know how I would ever be able to justify that so I finally told him it was my Christmas gift to myself and he accepted that.
The following year, I got it at less than half price, no exchange rate so of course, I took it. The following year they charged me the full 400 again but after a phone call, they reduced it to the "special" offer price so again, I signed on. This year, its full price again, exchange rate and all (which is silly since the Canadian and American dollar are almost par), and there would be no special price.

I gave up and canceled it. They can't seem to make up their minds about what to charge and personally, I used it the first year for myself and for everyone since so I really couldn't justify it another year. But I do miss it....

Calabria Exchange
JoeB
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Ancestry Access 3 months... Reply with quote

nuccia wrote:
I had ancestry for almost 4 years. The first year it cost me almost 400 dollars Canadian. I thought it would be only half that much but I didn't know about the conversion at the time because no one mentioned it. I almost died when I saw it. I hid it from my husband for as long as I could..didn't know how I would ever be able to justify that so I finally told him it was my Christmas gift to myself and he accepted that.
The following year, I got it at less than half price, no exchange rate so of course, I took it. The following year they charged me the full 400 again but after a phone call, they reduced it to the "special" offer price so again, I signed on. This year, its full price again, exchange rate and all (which is silly since the Canadian and American dollar are almost par), and there would be no special price.

I gave up and canceled it. They can't seem to make up their minds about what to charge and personally, I used it the first year for myself and for everyone since so I really couldn't justify it another year. But I do miss it....

Your right, very expensive. I keep my family Tree on Ancestry so it works out nicely (except for the cost). My subscription is going to be limited to a few months per year to keep up with newly added data. The tree being on Ancestry is free otherwise I wouldn't do that either.

lilbees
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Ancestry Access 3 months... Reply with quote

Only a suggestion but why don't you download it to some free family tree software on your computer. Much easier and cheaper.

lilbees

P.S. I just terminated my World Subscription. I found it to not be of use since most of what I need are in other countries and I had exhausted the US Search. The LDS has so many records online now that it seems to be a waste.

JoeB
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Ancestry Access 3 months... Reply with quote

lilbees wrote:
Only a suggestion but why don't you download it to some free family tree software on your computer. Much easier and cheaper.

lilbees

P.S. I just terminated my World Subscription. I found it to not be of use since most of what I need are in other countries and I had exhausted the US Search. The LDS has so many records online now that it seems to be a waste.

Actually I keep my Tree on both the Family Tree Maker (local software) and on the Ancestry site. Keeping them both synced is a pain. I do it so I can let friends view it (on Ancestry) yet still keep my back-up copy (with more extensive media and notes) for my personal use. Does all this sound a little weird? Oh well...backup...backup. I spent most of my career working with mainframes.

JoeB
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Ancestry Access 3 months... Reply with quote

lilbees wrote:

lilbees

Me again... Can you tell me more about the LDS and how to use it?

BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ancestry Access 3 months... Reply with quote

Hi Joe

Here is the link for the records that the LDS (church of the Latter Day Saints) has up with scanned records for census, ships manifests etc. It's still a work in progress but does the same thing that ancestry does only it's free.

search.labs.familysear...8315#start

You have to register to use (I believe).

If that link doesn't work try this one.

search.labs.familysearch.org

I have it bookmarked with my automatic log in info (first link) so it may not work.

Mangiardi, Tedeschi/Tedesco, Zangari, Coda, DeFrancesco, Ierulli, Bava, Daniele, Valente
Eleven
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Ancestry Access 3 months... Reply with quote

I had ancestry twice, for a months free trial. The first time, I was too stupid to know they auto charged me, so I got charged for another month. I made use of the month, looking for things that I hadnt considered looking for before. That was around the time they got their 1920 census online. I joined again, this time for a free two weeks, when they got the 1930 census. By accident, and because they changed their search engine to something so easy to use, I found some unexpected information. I was so tickled pink..that I kept them an additional month, just so I could pay them...lol...nutty, I know. I just felt that I owed them something for my find. It turns out, that I did use it that month to find info on my cousins fathers family..so it wasnt a total loss. I wont subscribe again, unless they get something that I need. I see this coming, in about 3 years from this april, when they release the 1940 census.
JoeB
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Ancestry Access 3 months... Reply with quote

BillieDeKid wrote:
Hi Joe

Here is the link for the records that the LDS (church of the Latter Day Saints) has up with scanned records for census, ships manifests etc. It's still a work in progress but does the same thing that ancestry does only it's free.

search.labs.familysear...8315#start

You have to register to use (I believe).

If that link doesn't work try this one.

search.labs.familysearch.org

I have it bookmarked with my automatic log in info (first link) so it may not work.

Oh boy, checked out the LDS site and now I'm having serious misgivings about Ancestry. I got hits on the first two searches I made. I understand you know how to get hold of the film or is it fiche? I'm this close to canceling my 3 month subscription, will save 80 bucks too. Thanks for your help, and eleven also. I need a day or two to investigate more carefully. Decisions decisions.... Joe

BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Ancestry Access 3 months... Reply with quote

Hi Joe,

I'll be happy to help you select and order your films. Let me know when you're ready.

Mangiardi, Tedeschi/Tedesco, Zangari, Coda, DeFrancesco, Ierulli, Bava, Daniele, Valente
lilbees
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Ancestry Access 3 months... Reply with quote

Will Ancestry be the only one to have access to the 1940 census? Or will it be available from other sites?

lilbees

JoeB
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Ancestry Access 3 months... Reply with quote

BillieDeKid wrote:
Hi Joe,

I'll be happy to help you select and order your films. Let me know when you're ready.

Sounds like a bargain to me. I'll give you a yell when I fine something I want to see. Thanks

Page 1 of 4All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Resource Pages Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: