Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › They Came in Boats › Where do I begin? › Birth Certificate search

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Birth Certificate search
For help with starting your genealogy research.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Where do I begin? Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mdmaggie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Birth Certificate search Reply with quote

I am new to this site and have to say from the qusetions and posts I've read while checking things out, you are doing a fantastic job!!

Now, my dilema. I am trying to trace my family history. I have a lot of information but now I need birth records from Italy for both sets of great-grandparents. I am not sure how to go about getting the birth acts (if I understand correctly the 'act' has more information than the 'certificate' of birth). The records I'm looking for will go back to the late 1880's - Any suggestions?
BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate search Reply with quote

Hi Mdmaggie and welcome to the forum.

Can you give us as much detailed information as possible? What are the full names of your great grandparents, what comune/province/region were each born in? Post back and let us know so we can give you some assistance.

Regards,
Elizabeth

Mangiardi, Tedeschi/Tedesco, Zangari, Coda, DeFrancesco, Ierulli, Bava, Daniele, Valente
Mdmaggie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate search Reply with quote

As I said I am looking for birth cert's both sets of great-grandparents, here is what limited information I have:

Paternal side:
Edwardo Ghioni - born 1867
Place of birth - Castello, Italy
Died - 3/30/1942 in Massachusetts (I have his death cert)
Mother's name - Maria Ambrogia
Father's name - Fiorenzo Ghioni

Maria Maccini - born 1875
Place of birth - Metti, Italy
Died - 4/04/1948 in Massachusetts (I have her death cert)
Mother's name - Louisa (maiden name unkown)
Father's name - Cesare Maccini

Maternal Side:
Giuseppe Raimondi - born 10/20/1885
Place of birth - Italy (possibly Celeri)
Died - 10/21/1918 in Massachusetts (I have his death cert)
Mother's name - Giovanna Moschini
Father's name - Paulo Raimondi

Annetta Previdi - born 1884
Place of birth - Piacenza, Italy
Died - 10/09/1956 in Massachusetts (I have her death cert)
Mother's name - Angela Peregani
Father's name - Carlo Sichel

Thank you for any information you can help with!!!
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate search Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forum. First off, when making your request to the comune you need to be very clear and specific about what you want. Do not use the phrase birth certificates. You want their birth acts also called an integral birth record (INTEGRALE DELL'ATTO DI NASCITA in Italian). The birth certificate gives very little information - it does not even provide the parent's names. Only the name of the baby and his or her date and time of birth. Weither you want the records for personal research or Italian citizenship, you want the Atti or Atto di Nascita (Act of birth) record. This record will provide the parents names, ages and occupations, the date and time of birth and the place of birth (which may include a hamlet name or address) and witnesses names, ages and professions (witnesses were usually family or friends). Occasionally this record may also provide the grandfather's names. (see link: i163.photobucket.com/a...apoli.jpg) That is a copy of a birth act from 1883.
Write your request in english providing as much information as possible. Make a different request for each town you need the copies from. Then go to the translation board here and ask to have your request translated to Italian. I will look up the addresses for the state civil record offices and post them here later.

liviomoreno
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate search Reply with quote

There is an extra ")" in the link provided by Cathy. The correct link is:http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t300/montaltogirl/alfonsomanapoli.jpg

Carole
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate search Reply with quote

Thanks for noticing that Livio kiss and for posting the corrected link for our new member.

I'm sure we have all fallen into that trap with an unwanted parethesis. I frequently type a parenthesis as opposed to a forward slash as they are above nos 7 and 8 on my keyboard... I can't remember if the English qwerty keyboard layout is the same above the numerals. Loads of other things are different though - that I do know.

Researching: EDMED, SAVILL, TYSON, NEWCOMBE, STAPLETON, GUNTER, STAPLES
If you think education is expensive -try ignorance!

>Expats in Italy<
Come and join 'Dork and Friends'! >New Blog<
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate search Reply with quote

Embarassed Thanks Livio.

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate search Reply with quote

Hi Mdmaggie,

Welcome to the forum. I have a few questions for you as well. Other than your grandparents death acts, what other American documentation do you have? Have you found their ship manifests and/or placed them on a census at all? I'm sure you've heard that the best place to start is at the end (with you and working backwards). You don't want to miss any clues by ruling American records out. Besides, this will save the next generation from going through what you are going through now to find you!

Now heres a great example. This is Giuseppe's WW1 Draft Registration Card

The info states:
World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Giuseppe Raimondi
Name: Giuseppe Raimondi
City: Framingham
County: Middlesex
State: Massachusetts
Birth Date: 23 Oct 1885
Race: White
Roll: 1684689
DraftBoard: 32

Source Citation: Registration Location: Middlesex County, Massachusetts; Roll: 1684689; Draft Board: 32.

Notice the birthdate? It differs by a few days from the one you have. So the next question is where did you get his birth info from? If you obtained it from the death act, then I think you may want to check a few more records. The records closet to the event is the most accurate (primary source)...in this case, the draft card may be more accurate since Giuseppe gave the info himself as opposed to someone who just reported his death.

Calabria Exchange
BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate search Reply with quote

Hi mdmaggie,

You listed Castello as a place of birth, can you tell me which one -

Castello Cabiaglio, province: Varese - region: Lombardia
Castello d'Agogna, province: Pavia - region: Lombardia
Castello d'Argile, province: Bologna - region: Emilia Romagna
Castello del Matese, province: Caserta - region: Campania
Castello dell'Acqua, province: Sondrio - region: Lombardia
Castello di Annone, province: Asti - region: Piemonte
Castello di Brianza, province: Lecco - region: Lombardia
Castello di Cisterna, province: Napoli - region: Campania
Castello di Godego, province: Treviso - region: Veneto
Castello di Serravalle, province: Bologna - region: Emilia Romagna
Castello Lavazzo, province: Belluno - region: Veneto
Castello Molina di Fiemme, province: Trento - region: Trentino Alto-Adige
Castello Tesino, province: Trento - region: Trentino Alto-Adige

As for Piacenza - do you know if Piacenza is the town or the town in the province of Piacenza?

Piacenza, province: Piacenza - region: Emilia Romagna
Piacenza d'Adige, province: Padova - region: Veneto

As for Metti. Is there a possibility that it might be Meta, province: Napoli - region: Campania ? There is no Metti.

If you can let me know on the three locations I can try and direct you to the correct LDS films for you to search for the birth acts of your relatives. The Austria Venedig Piacenza films are for church records from 1799 thru 1859 so it wouldn't cover the 1880's. These are the rest of the results just for Piacenza for LDS films -

Piacenza
Austria, Venedig, Piacenza
Italy, Piacenza
Italy, Piacenza, Piacenza
Borghetto (Piacenza)
Italy, Piacenza, Borghetto (Piacenza)
Mucinasso (Piacenza)
Italy, Piacenza, Mucinasso (Piacenza)
Piacenza d'Adige
Italy, Padova, Piacenza d'Adige
San Bonico (Piacenza)
Italy, Piacenza, San Bonico (Piacenza)

So if you can give a specific location for each of your great grandparents we can direct you to which films you'll need.......if you decide to go this route and order the LDS films for viewing.

Regards,
Elizabeth

Mangiardi, Tedeschi/Tedesco, Zangari, Coda, DeFrancesco, Ierulli, Bava, Daniele, Valente
Mdmaggie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate search Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for your help! I'm going to try an answer everyone's questions.. A couple of the towns I am going to take a guess at, as I got the information from their US death certificates.

for Castello, I am going to guess and say one of the (Castello D'Argile or Castello di Serravalle), I've always been told my family comes from the Emila Romagna region - although going back this far I'm really not sure.

Piacenza - I did some more diging. I have my grandmothers Italian birth ceritifcate (I am now looking for her mother), which says she was born in Fiorenzuola d'Arda so I am wondering if Piacenza maybe the region. I also have the ship manifest from when they came to the US that states Piacenza (which may not mean much)..

Metti - it is possible this is wrong, it is more information I have gotten from US death certificates. I don't have any family left who would remember.

The most documentation I have is: US death certifcates for each, I have the ships manifest for Guiseppe & Annetta Raimondi. I have not been able to locate cenus data.

The date of birth I got from his headstone at the cemetary - so I could very well be off a few days. The year is correct, I was able to match it up again the ships manifest.
liviomoreno
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate search Reply with quote

Mdmaggie wrote:
Piacenza - I did some more diging. I have my grandmothers Italian birth ceritifcate (I am now looking for her mother), which says she was born in Fiorenzuola d'Arda so I am wondering if Piacenza maybe the region. I also have the ship manifest from when they came to the US that states Piacenza (which may not mean much)..
Fiorenzuola d'Adda is in the province of Piacenza.

BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate search Reply with quote

Hi and thanks for posting back. I'm not having any luck at all with films for any of the listings only military records for Piacenza province.

www.familysearch.org/e...militari++

It looks like you will have to send letters. Maybe another forum member can provide you with the correct addresses to send your requests to.

Mdmaggie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate search Reply with quote

Thank you, I'll check out those records to see what I can find.
BHope

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate search Reply with quote

This is in reply to Mdmaggie. I happened to be doing a google search on my grandfather who's name is Cesare Maccini. He was born in 1886, and possibly could be related to Maria Maccini (most likely her brother). He may have been a junior if his father's name was Cesare Maccini also. He was born in Italy, came to the United States in 1909 at age 23, and died in Massachusetts in 1918 from the flu during the flu epidemic. He was married to Adele (do not know her maiden name) also from Italy (in the hills above Milano) and that union produced three children before he died in 1918. One of those three children was my father, nee Albert Maccini, but changed to Albert Hope upon his adoption when his mother married Joseph Hope. My father's two sisters were named Irene and Helen.

Cesare Maccini's manifest on ellisisland.org says he was from "Messi, Italy" which I think is an error and is probably Metti, as stated in your post. Google Earth does not show a Messi, Italy, but it does have two results for Metti, Italy.

I have no idea if you'll ever check this post, but I thought I'd post this just in case. Cesare Maccini is buried in Blue Hill Cemetery, just outside Boston.
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate search Reply with quote

BHope..thank you for following up with Mdmaggie. She has listed access to her email via the icon. You may also want to try contacting her there. If you need any help contacting her, please let us know.

And as always, welcome!

Calabria Exchange
  Page 1 of 2All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Where do I begin? Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: