Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › General › General Discussion Groups › Facebook???

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Facebook???
Want to share something new or just have fun? You can do that here.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index General Discussion Groups Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emmy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:55 am    Post subject: Facebook??? Reply with quote

Recently I had an email from Facebook saying a friend of mine wanted me to join as her friend.
What actually IS Facebook I seem to remember reading something a while ago that someone had had their identity stolen through that site.
Have I got this wrong? Is it another type of forum?
Emmy

JoeB
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Facebook??? Reply with quote

I use facebook quite often to communicate with family members. I haven't had any problems other than having to "ignore" some unsolicited "I want to be your friend" requests. Over all, it's easier and more interesting than email. But like everything on the Internet I would use caution. The one thing that I found difficult was trying to figure out how it works. The creators of facebook should work on that. Joe B.

Also researching James Blackwell, Royal Regiment of Artillery in Ashton-Under-Lyne, County of Lancashire, England. b:1827 Macclesfield, County of Cheshire, England. d: About 1889 at Garden Island, Ontario, Canada.
tjbrn
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Facebook??? Reply with quote

I joined FB earlier this year as well mostly to explore another method of keeping up with family as well as exploring the possibility of genealogy research via the various genealogy groups and fan groups. I've found the genealogy groups not to be particularly helpful or responsive for that matter. I have found towns represented in groups from which some of my ancestors were born. Contact with the administrators of those sites have not produced any response either.

FB used to be the domain of the young; however, the latest trend is that it is being invaded by gray-hairs, myself included Wink

Scribbling
Eleven
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Facebook??? Reply with quote

My kids, their cousins and their friends all belong. I was going to join, but I didnt want to intrude, plus I dont care how they have that setup.

Apparently, you can leave messages on your page, and pix and everyone on your list can see what you are saying, and your pix. I believe, if someone is on your list, they can also see the page of everyone else on your list. Just the other day, a friend of my daughter said she saw all of my vacation pix on my granddaughters page. Now, she isnt friends with my granddaughter, she accessed because both she and my granddaughter are on my daughters friend list. I dont like that.

I am big on privacy. I dont even care for posting pix..that anyone can just pull off of a site or that page. I got real turned off with pix posting, from when we were first able to do that on the net. I saw a lot of mean and underhanded things go on concerning peoples pix. When my kids began to go online (i was online first), I warned them about personal info and pix..but today, anything goes. This is how people then get burned and you hear stories on the news.

Its probably a good way to connect with people that you havent heard from in years..if thats what you like to do.

I thought about joining several times, without intruding on my kids and their friends..but decided not to.
chanchisfea
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Facebook??? Reply with quote

I use Facebook and I loooove it!

I've been able to find second cousins, step-brothers of my father and a whole lot of cousins I've not talked to in almost 2 decades! Sharing photos and what is going on in our lives has been a lot of fun, I don't even have to email anymore Smile

My family, which is spread throughout Chile, Spain, Switzerland and Israel are all connected and we would have been able to do this if it wasn't because of Facebook. I've even found a few of my high school friends through it! The possibilities are endless! LOL

The set up does take some time to get used to, but once you get the whole thing down [after a few tries, ha!] then it's like second nature.

About people who are not YOUR friends [not in your list of friends] being able to see what you post and/or your pictures, that's something that each person who owns a page needs to take care of so you only allow certain people to have access to your page. The privacy settings is where you need to go to set your page to be seen ONLY by either; "everyone" [self explanatory], "friends of friends" [which means everyone in your list PLUS everyone in your friends' list will be able to see your pics and everything else], "friends only" [only those in your list are privy to your posts and pics, no one else can see them] and lastly "custom" [where you choose who, can be one or a whole bunch of friends of your choosing, have access to all your posts and/or pics]

As the administrator of your Facebook page YOU have the power to choose who sees your "Profile" [whether you want it totally public or just to be seen by a few people] and you choose the settings you want to be shown to the general public if/when they do come across your page while doing a name search Wink

Liz Cool

Transcripts for towns of Petrona' - San Vincenzo la Costa and Verzino, Italy Smile
Eleven
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Facebook??? Reply with quote

Ahh...my kids didnt tell me that you can limit who sees what. They told me their friends list people can see the pages of everyone on their list. Maybe they dont know how to fix that. I was almost going to check it out, using a phoney name..but never did.
Emmy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Facebook??? Reply with quote

Many Thanks Everyone
I think I'd better think twice, no perhaps three times before I do anything Wink
I'd be more than likely to do everything wrong and although your explanation was very clear Liz (thank you xx)the computer in my hands usually turns out to have a mind of its own Rolling Eyes
Meantime I'll stick to posting here Wink Wink
Emmy

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Facebook??? Reply with quote

When I first starting using facebook I hated it - but because I didn't know what I was doing. It is a social network and I thought more for "the young". But now I also love it. Like Liz, I have been able to connect with lots of my family who I haven't seen in years and were are able to share pictures, and other fun stuff. For genealogy..no, its not that great but for everything else, its wonderful.

Emmy, Jen went on my account a set up all the privacy settings for me and there is an option for you to see how people see your profile (just pick a person and view how they would see your page). I also have a "secret" group set up that does not show up publicly and can only be joined if I invite a person. This is where we share the more pics.

Because of facebook I was able to finally talk to my nieces who I haven't seen in years and will be visiting with soon. I found it to be a god sent!

Calabria Exchange
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Facebook??? Reply with quote

I love Facebook. It has allowed me to reconnect and keep up with my cousins children all of whom are grown now. My family has scattered throughout the country so it makes keeping in touch so simple. Join! And add me as a friend! Wink

Carole
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Facebook??? Reply with quote

Cathy wrote:
I love Facebook. It has allowed me to reconnect and keep up with my cousins children all of whom are grown now. My family has scattered throughout the country so it makes keeping in touch so simple. Join! And add me as a friend! Wink

Yeah, right. I did join. ... and I've got you ae a 'friend' and all you do is POKE me!!!

Researching: EDMED, SAVILL, TYSON, NEWCOMBE, STAPLETON, GUNTER, STAPLES
If you think education is expensive -try ignorance!

>Expats in Italy<
Come and join 'Dork and Friends'! >New Blog<
MariLouise

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Facebook??? Reply with quote

I feel bad I can't join. There were some "issues" with area teachers on facebook, so we have been "advised" not to join. Sigh.
MariLouise

Researching De Sole and Giacinto in Calabria, Supo in Campania, and Iorio in Caserta.

Never forget your childish enthusiasm!
Poipu04
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Facebook??? Reply with quote

I also have been able to find some distant cousins on FB and for a while the group from my grandmother's town was very active and I was friending a lot of people with her surname. Celenza Valfortore also has a moderately active group and I have friended some people from there as well. And of course, now I can keep with with Nuccia, Cathy, Simy and the others on FB, even when I don't check in here often.

Emmy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Facebook??? Reply with quote

Oh please DONT let facebook take priority over Gente. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Emmy

Carole
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Facebook??? Reply with quote

Emmy wrote:
Oh please DONT let facebook take priority over Gente. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Emmy

I was thinking the same thing Emmy.

Facebook and "Gente" are two totally different animals. FB is a 'social, fun site' while "Gente", even though it does have a sort of social side, is primarily for extensive, in depth research and how to do that.

Researching: EDMED, SAVILL, TYSON, NEWCOMBE, STAPLETON, GUNTER, STAPLES
If you think education is expensive -try ignorance!

>Expats in Italy<
Come and join 'Dork and Friends'! >New Blog<
MariLouise

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Facebook??? Reply with quote

I agree--the amount of research is amazing on this site. Additionally the site, and those who keep it going, are dedicated to research--period. Yes, some sites may be helpful as secondary sources, but their mission is just not the same. Have fun on facebook, meet up with friends. But Gente di Mare cannot be matched. AND--what wonderful people! Smile

MariLouise

Researching De Sole and Giacinto in Calabria, Supo in Campania, and Iorio in Caserta.

Never forget your childish enthusiasm!
  Page 1 of 2All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index General Discussion Groups Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: