Request for extracts ignored by L'ufficio di Stato Civile
Last post by charliemis in Southern Italy on Oct 23, 2017 at 11:38:43

Ambrogio Bianchi Birth Certificate - Rome/Ferentino
Last post by debbiemfit in Where do I begin? on Oct 14, 2017 at 15:28:01

Cardano al Campo, Italy
Last post by Seabreezes1 in Northern Italy on Oct 13, 2017 at 21:58:14

Muscatello
Last post by Biff83 in Southern Italy on Oct 11, 2017 at 15:22:57

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by PrimoMattino in Southern Italy on Oct 03, 2017 at 17:32:46

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by Italysearcher in Where do I begin? on Sep 24, 2017 at 18:25:31

Bastianelli Sant Elia Fiumerapido or Altina
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Sep 23, 2017 at 18:29:38

RESEACHING LUCIA NAPOLI DELIANOUVA
Last post by nuccia in Where do I begin? on Sep 22, 2017 at 06:13:48

Surname Serafini from Barga
Last post by Libby in Northern Italy on Sep 04, 2017 at 03:47:22

Sant'Elia Fiumerapido - De Filippis
Last post by Marchpatty in Central Italy on Aug 24, 2017 at 23:45:06

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › Where to find birth information for Cimina, Calabria

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Where to find birth information for Cimina, Calabria

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parrelly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Where to find birth information for Cimina, Calabria Reply with quote

I am researching my husband's genealogy and have hit a dead end. My husband's grandfather was born in Cimina, a comune in Reggio Calabria. He was born Giuseppe Parrelli in 1897. The copy of his record of birth that we have was made in 1961. It doesn't have his parents names listed on it. Who can I write to, or how can I find out his family connections back in Cimina? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find birth information for Cimina, Calabria Reply with quote

Hi Parrelly and welcome to Gente Smile The LDS has films for the comune of Cimina. You can order the film(s) yourself by finding your nearest Family History Center (FHC) and go there to order. It will take several weeks for the film(s) to come in. Here is the link to find an FHC near you

www.familysearch.org/e...et_fhc.asp

Here is the link to search for your films

www.familysearch.org/e...di+Cimin++

Nati = births
Morti = deaths
Matrimoni = marriages
Pubblicazioni = publication of the marriage banns

There is also a tutorial in the Resources forum (on the main page of this site) that will assist you in looking up available microfilms. If you have any problems please post back and we'll be glad to help you.

Smile

Mangiardi, Tedeschi/Tedesco, Zangari, Coda, DeFrancesco, Ierulli, Bava, Daniele, Valente
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find birth information for Cimina, Calabria Reply with quote

Maybe this site will help?

www.comune.cimina.rc.i...tatti.html

You need to request the long birth act which will list his parents names - or even his marriage act which would also provide the wife's parents names.

On www.ellisisland.org I found these two Parrelli's going to Pennsylvania. Carmine is going to see his brother, Giuseppe - could they be related to you?

Parrelli's from Cimina

Calabria Exchange
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find birth information for Cimina, Calabria Reply with quote

Here are some possible records:

1913 Boston ship manifest, line 10
Last residence and place of birth Cimina
Destination: Alliance OH to join cousin ? Reda
Nearest relative in Italy: mother Teresa
Page 1
Page 2

Small world, member Michael Romano's (Romano1970) grandfather Lorenzo Romano arrived on the same ship.

WWI Draft Reg Card
Name: Joseph Parrelli
County: Stark
State: Ohio
Birthplace: Cimina, Italy
Birth Date: 8 Aug 1897
Person who will know your name: mother? Teresa Mammoliti?

1930 census scroll down to line 56 on second page
Name: Joseph Parrelle
Home in 1930: Detroit, Wayne, Michigan
Estimated birth year: abt 1897
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's name: Mary
Race: White
Household Members: Name Age
Joseph Parrelle 33
Mary Parrelle 26
Rocco Parrelle, son, 5 7/12
Jimmie Parrelle, son, 4 5/12
Theresa Parrelle, daughter 1 11/12
Phillip Siciliano 35
Steven Banyas 27

If the above is the correct person and the family followed the Italian naming tradition--first son and daughter after the paternal grandparents--Giuseppe's father's name was Rocco and his mother Teresa, possible surname Mammoliti.

Biff

"You live as long as you are remembered." -- Russian proverb

Last edited by Biff83 on Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find birth information for Cimina, Calabria Reply with quote

Nice finds Biff and the Romano being on the same ship is quite a coincidence! Check your pm's Biff I sent you a message earlier today Smile

Mangiardi, Tedeschi/Tedesco, Zangari, Coda, DeFrancesco, Ierulli, Bava, Daniele, Valente
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find birth information for Cimina, Calabria Reply with quote

Nice find Biff. I am reading the mother`s name as Mamolite which could actually be Mammoliti, a common surname for that town.

Also, on the manifests I posted earlier, the one for Francesco Parrelli is traveling with a Vincenzo Mammoliti and he`s going to see brother Giuseppe, not Francesco.

Calabria Exchange
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find birth information for Cimina, Calabria Reply with quote

nuccia wrote:
Nice find Biff. I am reading the mother`s name as Mamolite which could actually be Mammoliti, a common surname for that town.

Also, on the manifests I posted earlier, the one for Francesco Parrelli is traveling with a Vincenzo Mammoliti and he`s going to see brother Giuseppe, not Francesco.

Hi, Nuccia Very Happy !

I agree it's likely Mammoliti. I'll edit my above post.

Biff

Parrelly

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Where to find birth information for Cimina, Calabria Reply with quote

Wow! Thank you all so much!

BillieDeKid, there's a Family History Center about 20 minutes from us. I was planning a trip there for some info on my family. I hadn't had much luck on their website as far as this went though. But now that I know where to look, it should help.

Nuccia, thanks for the website. I'll look into it and the Parrelli's going through Ellis Island. I know that he immigrated ~1913. He was actually married in the US to a Mary Villella. Her parents were from Calabria also. I have a record of their marriage in Italy.

Biff83, your info makes alot of sense. I have his WWI draft - I couldn't read Teresa's last name from my copy. I kind of figured she might be his mother. I also have the 1930 census info. Yes, that's him. I thought I had checked thru the Boston port entries, but somehow missed that one. I'm going to ask my husband & his cousins if anyone knows who Reda is. His wife grew up in Lisbon, OH; so it fits, this could be him.

Thanks Again!
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Where to find birth information for Cimina, Calabria Reply with quote

Parrelly,

Not sure if you have this death certificate for Cesare James Villella who I believe is Mary's father. Gives his town of birth, his parents' names and his wife Caterina's maiden name. From this site:

pilot.familysearch.org...html#start

Biff

Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Where to find birth information for Cimina, Calabria Reply with quote

From Ancestry's Falerna Italy records (thanks to BilliedeKid):

Cesare Villella's birth act

Cesare Villella and Caterina Fortunata's marriage act

I'm a bit out of practice translating; can someone help?

Biff

Parrelly

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Where to find birth information for Cimina, Calabria Reply with quote

Thanks Biff,

Yes, this is him. I have a copy of his and Catarina's wedding. It's 2 pages of Italian long-hand. I'm working on deciphering it. This information is definitely easier. Smile

I looked at the info you gave me yesterday. It looks like Giuseppe was traveling with a brother and sister Romeo. The final destination for all 3 of them was the same place - this cousin Reda in Alliance, OH.

The 2 Parrelli's who came through Ellis Island were before him. They were 1905 - 06; so the Giuseppe who was already here was a different Parrelli.

You've helped me a great deal. If I can return the favor, let me know. I currently have world access on ancestry.com. I know that they at least have copies of some original documents from Falerna, plus a few from northern italy.

Parrelly
  Page 1 of 1All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: