77: Community Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

Napolitano - Falzarano, Airola
Last post by goldfreaz in Southern Italy on Jun 15, 2017 at 01:29:50

How do we preserve our Genealogical research for the future?
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Jun 14, 2017 at 23:36:52

Maria Perri
Last post by MikeBarbato in Southern Italy on Jun 14, 2017 at 16:57:18

Lanni Family Sant Elia FR
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on May 31, 2017 at 10:03:19

Vuozzo Surname
Last post by Biff83 in About Us on Apr 29, 2017 at 19:15:44

Translate Do(edited)ent
Last post by Italysearcher in Translations on Apr 17, 2017 at 16:08:33

Ghio in Portovenere
Last post by Marko in Southern Italy on Mar 14, 2017 at 17:31:06

Birth Record for GGF and GGM
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Mar 12, 2017 at 21:49:52

Calabria Record
Last post by JoeBlack36 in Southern Italy on Mar 11, 2017 at 15:53:00

Cassivi from Ragusa
Last post by Italysearcher in Southern Italy on Feb 28, 2017 at 16:54:25

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › Iemma Yemma Amie Family

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Iemma Yemma Amie Family

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Iemma Yemma Amie Family Reply with quote

Well just so you have the manifest I found interesting..
www.ellisisland.org/se...960362.TIF
Caterina Scarfo Iemma, from Citanouvo, traveling with her daughter Maria Iemma and going to see father Giovanni Emma (could be Iemma). Just interesting that's all -

Calabria Exchange
choprjohn
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Iemma Yemma Amie Family Reply with quote

Nuccia thanks again there are so many twists & turns in my family history, that I have often joked that they were in the witness protection program. Seriously im guessing a lot of our searches experience the same problems being so long ago & with the language barrier & poorly written or kept records....Johnnie

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Iemma Yemma Amie Family Reply with quote

No KIDDING! There are a couple of my branches (also from Reggio Calabria) that I'm really stuck on. I think because the towns were so small that they moved around to neighbouring towns where they married their wives. Just a note - usually they married and lived in the wife's comune so perhaps Rosa is actually from Cittanova and Vincenzo is from - ANYWHERE?? lol

I'm sure we will figure this out. Wink

Calabria Exchange
argon1642

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Iemma Yemma Amie Family Reply with quote

On one of the sites (the Ancestory.com thread you started) it talked about a Salvatore Iemma traveling with Vincenzo to West Virgina and it stated that Salvatore was probably a brother or relative of Vincenzo (James). It also said that Salvatore had a wife named Caterina so perhaps that it is the Caterina that Nuccia found.

Also on one of the documents it said that Vincenzo was initially going to stay with his brother in law Gerolamo. (the same Ancestory.com thread)

Thank you both for finding and asking all these research questions, the answers have made it very easy to learn things by following behind you.

And I had a thought about the ship and immigration date differences 3 Sep 1908 vs 21 Aug 1908 - about 14 days, is it possible that is how long the trip took and 1 is a departure date, the other an arrival date? That or was a quarantine of 2 weeks in effect for new arrivals?
choprjohn
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Iemma Yemma Amie Family Reply with quote

Salvitor J Yemma/Amie born in 1916 was the son of Vincenzo (James) & Rose Yemma. Uncle Sammy as he was known to us, was your grandfather Franks brother. Im not sure about the immigration dates tho

Last edited by choprjohn on Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Iemma Yemma Amie Family Reply with quote

Usually the trip to the US from Italy did take about fourteen days. But there are other reasons why there could be two different arrival dates.

This link is excellent at explaining why there could be a discrepancy in dates or why a passenger's name could be crossed out.

www.jewishgen.org/info...ests/left/

I would also look at the home page of this site - it's so informative!

As for the other questions about the passengers, I thin we will need to go back and figure out who everyone is to actually see the connection. Just got back though from working a 12 hour day so my mind is a bit juggled --- cofffffeeeee... Embarassed

Calabria Exchange
argon1642

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Iemma Yemma Amie Family Reply with quote

That Salvitore can't be Uncle Sammy as Uncle Sammy wasn't married nor born in 1908 when this name is discussed, so most likely Uncle Sammy was named after this person.

I was comparing the 1930 and 1920 census lists (specifically the age/birth dates) and came up with this possible cross reference list:

Code::
   1920               1930 
Joseph 15 --      James Joseph  25
Mary  13 --       Mary 23 
Nelle 10 --        not mentioned 
Fannie 7 --        Virginia  16 
Catherine 6--    Katherine 17
Samual 4 --       Salvitor  14 
Julie  3  --         Angeline 13 
not mentioned--  Frank 9 
not mentioned -- John 7 
not mentioned--  Josephine 3.5 

Also using the birth dates and birth locations on the 1930 census it seems likely that somewhere between 1914 (Virginia's birth in W. Virginia) and 1916 (Salvitor's birth in NY) the family moved from W. Virginia to NY

Also if the 1910 Census (done on 15 April 1910) for Vincenzo Johnna Jemma (age 32) is correct it seems he waited in NYC for a while (arriving 3 Sept 1908 or 21 Aug 1908) before moving to W. Virginia.

Last edited by argon1642 on Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:14 am; edited 1 time in total
choprjohn
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: Iemma Yemma Amie Family Reply with quote

After coming to America from Italy, Vincenzo Yemma worked in the mines in W. Virginia as a dynamiter. He was in an explosion, & was unconcious for 20 something days. His 1st words after coming to were "I gotta find a new job."..true story. Thats when he moved to Syracuse NY & became a grocer.

argon1642

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Iemma Yemma Amie Family Reply with quote

I was just reading about the 28th December 1908 Earthquake in Calabria and Sicily, it was massive, and may be part of the reason it is so hard to find out any information. It was a 7.5 magnitude Earthquake that killed between 60k and 120K+ including 1/2 the population of Messina Sicily (destroyed 90% of the buildings there).

Since Vincenzo left in Sept 1908 and Rose didn't come until 24Dec 1909 he had to have been very nervous at this time. Might have also contributed to his staying in NYC for a while in order to get news from Italy rather than going directly to West Virginia.
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Iemma Yemma Amie Family Reply with quote

choprjohn wrote:
After coming to America from Italy, Vincenzo Yemma worked in the mines in W. Virginia as a dynamiter. He was in an explosion, & was unconcious for 20 something days. His 1st words after coming to were "I gotta find a new job."..true story. Thats when he moved to Syracuse NY & became a grocer.

Wow! He's so lucky he lived. Exclamation

Calabria Exchange
pinegirl7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Iemma Yemma Amie Family Reply with quote

Hello,

Your grandmother's name was Rose Marie. Frank Amie, Sr. was my father; Frank Amie, Jr. is my brother; and argon1642 would be one of my nephews (hi!). I was curious as to what month and day Vincenzo (James) passed away, because the month and day were close to that of my father's passing, I believe. They are buried in the same cemetery, so you may find some more information from the cemetery documentation. I am not in New York State so this information is not easily accessible to me.
choprjohn
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Iemma Yemma Amie Family Reply with quote

Hi We are cousins, my father was John Amie Sr. I have Aunt Nellies birth certificate, & it lists Rose Yemma as Maria Rosa Yemma. Vincenzo died Nov 12 1960 in Dade County Florida. PM me, I have a lot more information to share

pinegirl7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Iemma Yemma Amie Family Reply with quote

John, I had tried to email you but the email failed. I do have photos; however, many are of unknown people (unmarked in any way), and I think most of the people are on my mother's side of the family. I am sure I should have some pics on my father's side as well that I may get to scan sometime soon and attach here for sharing.
choprjohn
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Iemma Yemma Amie Family Reply with quote

Thanx for the reply, I re-sent you my email address try it again it might work now Thanx again Johnnie P.S. If you give me your email address it would make our chatting way easier, just put in in a PM

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Iemma Yemma Amie Family Reply with quote

Ok..it's a holiday here Johnnie but next week I will shoot you an email and see what we can do to help you get an answer from Cittanova. If you don't hear from me by mid week then contact me again - I tend to forget things lately! lol

Calabria Exchange
  Page 2 of 3All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: