Request for extracts ignored by L'ufficio di Stato Civile
Last post by charliemis in Southern Italy on Oct 23, 2017 at 11:38:43

Ambrogio Bianchi Birth Certificate - Rome/Ferentino
Last post by debbiemfit in Where do I begin? on Oct 14, 2017 at 15:28:01

Cardano al Campo, Italy
Last post by Seabreezes1 in Northern Italy on Oct 13, 2017 at 21:58:14

Muscatello
Last post by Biff83 in Southern Italy on Oct 11, 2017 at 15:22:57

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by PrimoMattino in Southern Italy on Oct 03, 2017 at 17:32:46

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by Italysearcher in Where do I begin? on Sep 24, 2017 at 18:25:31

Bastianelli Sant Elia Fiumerapido or Altina
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Sep 23, 2017 at 18:29:38

RESEACHING LUCIA NAPOLI DELIANOUVA
Last post by nuccia in Where do I begin? on Sep 22, 2017 at 06:13:48

Surname Serafini from Barga
Last post by Libby in Northern Italy on Sep 04, 2017 at 03:47:22

Sant'Elia Fiumerapido - De Filippis
Last post by Marchpatty in Central Italy on Aug 24, 2017 at 23:45:06

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › Pileggi/Maiuolo

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Pileggi/Maiuolo

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

jpeledge wrote:
Glad the pic's were the right ones to share--Angela's collection is a fruitful one.

Unfortunately, I don't have much on the Pileggi's. To answer your question on Caserta, the only records I've seen that people have shared with me have said the hometown was Cortale. On my great-grandfather's first arrival in 1900, it said "Castale" but since that town doesn't exist I figured it was supposed to say Cortale. As he also stayed in the States until 1910/1911 only to return briefly to Cortale to get married, I assume he must have lived in Cortale and had known Domenica somehow prior to his leaving. I guess my next objective, somehow, would be to see if Antonio Pileggi was born in Cortale in 1883 (17 in 1900 on immigration record) and then check to see if his father Carlo was born in Cortale around 1848 (62 on 1910 US Census). Then go from there.

Jay
I just want to make a comment here so you do not get your hopes up too much. I do not have a lot of records online for Cortale - 2 years of births and 7 years of marriages. I have focused more on my grandfather's town and my great grandmother's town. But out of the 9 years of records for Cortale I did not find a single Pileggi nor did I find one in 1848 when I looked there Tuesday. That is when and why I began copying birth indexes. There is a possibility they lived elsewhere until after 1861 (the year the access to the LDS records of the town). Clearly, they were there because I did find 2 Pileggi living in the town today in the Italian White pages. But 2 people for 1 surname is not very promising. So I did more looking and found dozens and dozens from the nearby town of Maida. If I do not find Carlo in the indexes I copied on Tuesday, I will continue looking through every year until I have searched everything I have. I just want you to know that there is a possibility Carlo was born elsewhere and moved to Cortale sometime before coming to the US. If Carlo's father was born in Maida, you will have to continue the search there. I emailed you the letter so you can send that to Cortale. Save that letter - you may need to send it to Maida for Carlo's birth act.

jpeledge
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

Well, I do know that Tony Maioli was living with my great-grandfather and great-grandmother (his sister) by 1920 so the naturalization record matches.

Regarding Mr. Fortunato Maiuolo, I only found it odd that he intended on going to Chicago, but did not have a ticket in hand to do so. My cousin Angela may have more on the family tree as to whether or not there was a "Fortunato"--an all too symbolic name to me as a teacher of American lit--and how he connected to our Maiuolo's.
jpeledge
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

Thanks, Cathy. I did realize at some point that the well of info would have to run dry to some extent. I'm hoping that with your letter and tips and my buddy taking his family pilgrimmage in September to see his family in Italy I might find a little more, but I've been ecstatic with what I've found to this point.

Thank you for everything!
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

jpeledge wrote:
No problem. I've been so wrapped up in how great this experience has been for me that I'm just so anxious to find more. I'm somewhat a genealogical addict right now. Take your time and I look forward to seeing whatever you come across.

Jay
Unfortunately Jay, I went through 10 years of Cortale birth acts and not a single Pileggi record was there. I would write a letter to the comuni of Borgia and Maida. Both towns are very close to Cortale and Carlo or his family could have moved to Cortale from either of those towns after Carlo's birth. Pileggi is a common surname in both those towns. Sorry I could not find anything.

jpeledge
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

Thanks so much, Cathy, for the incredible effort. I will send letters to those other towns and see what turns up.

I'll keep you posted.
Jay
Angela

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

Hi Jay,
Russ and I are planning a trip to Italy this summer. we will be in Venicia in late July but are thinking of going to southern Itlay. I would like to get to some of the towns mentioned and possibly see if i can find a Pileggi. Have you had anymore luck in your efforts? I would like to have a clear plan beofe we leave so we don't spend too much time in the wrong towns.

Cathy do you have anyother suggestions besides Borgia and Maida. My Italian is not very good mostly single words so anything will be helpful.

Angela
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

Angela,
I cannot think of anything offf the top of my head but I will do some checking and get back to you about other towns.
I would definitely stop off in Cortale at the Stato Civile office. I have heard if you go there they are quite friendly and will accommodate you with the documents you request. (It’s the emails and letters that go unanswered) Write out your request in Italian prior to going in case you cannot find anyone who speaks English. I would request the births of Domenica and Antonio. If you have the date that would be great but ask for a 2-4 year date range and if they were born on a holiday or well regarded Saint day, I would not mention the month or day. If Domenica and Antonio were married in Cortale, I would request a copy of their Publicazione and their Atto di Matrimonio as well. Their Publicazione (marriage banns) will tell you the names, ages (if living) and birthplace of Domenica and Antonio’s parents. This will tell you where to go next. Do you know who Domenica’s parents are? I may have a copy of her father’s birth act which may help you make connections there. If he is who I think he is, then I do have it. I would also recommend writing a letter of introduction stating who you are, who your grandparents were and whatever else you like (perhaps a family tree?) so if you meet anyone of interest that does not speak English, you are prepared.
If you go, I can tell you from my cousin’s experience, there are a lot of Maiuolo’s living there today. The men all look just like my uncle Wink The church was built by our Maiuolo family so a visit there is a must. It takes an hour to make your way up to the hilltop town and an hour to go down. On the way up the hill, you must stop by the small shine referred to as “Donnafiore”. As our families left Cortale, they would have stopped off at this shrine on their way out of town and prayed to her. They did this every time they passed that shrine. Since I know my Maiuolo’s lived in “Upper Cortale” I would imagine yours did too. If you want any information, a list of monuments or things to see there or anything else, please feel free to email me or send me a private message. I am always happy to help! I would love to write you anyway so we can compare notes on our Maiuolo’s.

jpeledge
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

Unfortunately I've been a little sluggish lately as I've been taking a grad class, will be taking three more this summer, and will be teaching a one-credit course in addition to that. Plus work and kids, etc.

I do plan on sending a round of letters to Cortale and surrounding towns, but I'm wondering if I'd be better served to wait until after you return, Angela.

By the way, I'm extremely envious of your trip! My best friend is making his annual return to his family in September; we hope to bring our families together some day, but until then, I'll have to live vicariously through each of you.

Cathy's touching description of seeing the sites our grandparents/great-grandparents would have seen makes me long to go even more.

Keep me posted and if I come across anything in the meantime, I'll be sure to pass it along.

P.S. My dad now has the folder of documents you gave me, so you should hear from him, or else I'll remind him to give them back if he hasn't already.
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

You can see a picture of the small shrine "Donnafiore" that I referred to HERE . In the background you call see a panorama of "Upper Cortale".

Angela

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

Thanks Cathy,
I will keep you both posted on the plans. I am really busy with work and grand kids as well but I want to take the oppurtunity to stay in touch with you. I had actualy looked at the picture on your website but was not aware of the significance of the shrine.
My trip to Sicily was one of the most profound times in my life and I hope to have a similar experience in Calabria.
Jay your time wil come. I was 45 when I took my first trip to Italy.
jpeledge
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

Hello again,

It's been a while, so I thought I'd check in to see how your trip went this summer, Angela. Any luck?

With the national debate on immigration, I've been reminded of our own ancestry, and once the third of three grad classes is finally over, I do plan to renew my efforts on finding more info.

My best friend and his family are heading to Italy in a month for a two-week stay. His family is more from central Italy, but I'm going to try and talk him into taking some time to travel south--not sure how successful that'll be, but we'll see.

Would love to hear about your trip, Angela.

Cathy, I hope you are well also!

Jay
choprjohn
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

Congratulations to all of you, this looks like a true success story, & exactly what this site is about, helping others.

Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

Thanks Jay! I am well, thank you! I have been very busy with my grandfather's town and my life which has been quite busy as well. But eventually, I hope to return to my work with Cortale and Tropea. Sadly, the Catanzaro Province records just are not available to the general public. Nothing past 1861 and nothing before 1809 does not allow for much information on our families there! But I am not one to give up so, who knows! Perhaps I will find a way to get those church records! Or perhaps the Catasto! Very Happy
I too would love to hear about Angela's trip!

jpeledge
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

Hello again,

Possible break in "the case." My parents came across some notes that Angela's aunt/my great-aunt Mary had taken:

My great-grandfather, Antonio Peledge (Pileggi) was the son of Carlo Pileggi (born about 1847 in Nicastro!) and Mary Pellegrino (born about 1852 in Cortale!). They were married in 1873, not sure whether in Cortale or Nicastro, but my hunch is Cortale.

Antonio had sister Catherine who married Paul Stagliano about 1896 and sister Chiare who married Frank Ierardi (sp?) about 1903.

Antonio's mother, Mary Pellegrino, was born to Cosmo Pellegrino though mother's name is unknown. Her brothers were Francesco, Joseph, and Domenico; her sisters were Lucercia (married name Pulli)and Angela (married name Buccafiuoni (sp?))

Not sure if any of this helps, but I'm hoping so. I have some more but don't want to inundate you with info. Let me know if and when you'd like info on Maiuolo side as that's bulk of what's left.
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

jpeledge wrote:
Hello again,

Possible break in "the case." My parents came across some notes that Angela's aunt/my great-aunt Mary had taken:

My great-grandfather, Antonio Peledge (Pileggi) was the son of Carlo Pileggi (born about 1847 in Nicastro!) and Mary Pellegrino (born about 1852 in Cortale!). They were married in 1873, not sure whether in Cortale or Nicastro, but my hunch is Cortale.

Antonio had sister Catherine who married Paul Stagliano about 1896 and sister Chiare who married Frank Ierardi (sp?) about 1903.

Antonio's mother, Mary Pellegrino, was born to Cosmo Pellegrino though mother's name is unknown. Her brothers were Francesco, Joseph, and Domenico; her sisters were Lucercia (married name Pulli)and Angela (married name Buccafiuoni (sp?))

Not sure if any of this helps, but I'm hoping so. I have some more but don't want to inundate you with info. Let me know if and when you'd like info on Maiuolo side as that's bulk of what's left.
Jay, that's great! If you really want to trace your Pileggi family the LDS church does have microfilms you can order from Nicastro from 1809-1860. A list of films available for Nicastro can be found here.
I can help with your Cortale family like the Pellegrino's. If you would like I can try to get Mary Pellegrino's birth act which should have her mother's name on it. Let me know, but keep in mind my center is only open once a week now and I have a lot coming up so I cannot promise I will get it before 2 weeks from now. I amy be able to fit it in Thursday but I have a list of documents to get that night already.
Of course, I would love any Maiola/Maiuolo information you have. I would really like to find the connection between our Maiuolo family's and our relationship to the Bishop. Let me know if you want that birth act!
In the meantime I will have a look at what records I have for Cortale on my website Catanzaro Exchange.

Page 4 of 5All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: