It can happen that although we look for information about one Italian comune we may not find anything for two reasons:
- It is a fraction or a populated centre which depends on a comune for its administration.
- Maybe the comune or fraction does not exist anymore or changed its name in the various territorial reorganizations that Italy made.
These searching resources may be useful:
- Comuni, frazioni and and other inhabited centres - In all, there are about 8,100 Italian comuni and 37,000 frazioni and the number of small inhabited places is 16,000.
Read More --> Comune, frazione, nucleo abitato
- Changes in the political organization of Italy:
Regions, provinces, circondari and mandamenti
Towns which disappeared: called “the comuni soppressi”
Read More --> Changes in the political organization
- List of Italian towns (it includes place names in the local language, list of comuni which changed their names)
Read More --> List of Italian Towns