Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › General › General Discussion Groups › NYC research question

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
NYC research question
Want to share something new or just have fun? You can do that here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index General Discussion Groups Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poipu04
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: NYC research question Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there is a death index beyond the one that the IGG does for NYC? The IGG one goes up to 1948, but I don't know when my GGF died. He was born in 1884, so I suppose he could have lived until the 1960s. In the past I have looked at the social security death index with no success. Is there anything that is specific to NYC for years after 1948?

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: NYC research question Reply with quote

If he died prior to 1963 I don't believe he would be indexed in the SSDI. Maybe thisi s why you're having trouble locating him. Have you tried Find a Grave?

Calabria Exchange
Eleven
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: NYC research question Reply with quote

Thats like trying to find a needle in a haystack (when you dont know the death date). I would try contacting Woodlawn Cemetery in the Bronx. It is huge, almost like a city within a city. I went there in the early 90s, knowing my grandparents were there. But, I also wrote to them, in search of other people. Back then, it was free. I believe now, there is a charge. (geeze, I just looked it up..they want 50 bucks an hour).

www.thewoodlawncemeter...&Itemid=32
Poipu04
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: NYC research question Reply with quote

Yeah, I remember paying them some large amount for my ggf's plot card. I found out that the LDS has a microfilmed index of NYC deaths until the 1960s so that may be my next step. The problem with this family is that I have never found their name transcribed correctly in an index and that is why it is so hard to find them anywhere. However, I had a breakthrough using Steve Morse's gold form. I searched everyone with the first name Giacomo in NYC that arrived in 1905 and finally found one of my people.

lilbees
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: NYC research question Reply with quote

Question? Is the NY death index you spoke of on microfilm and if so do you have a listing for rental?

Thanks,
lilbees

Eleven
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: NYC research question Reply with quote

That Morse site is terrific. You can search that with just initials.

Those who indexed ellis island and even the census records, really messed up these names, not to mention those who took the information (worse on censuses than the passenger records).

But, I have a little insight on that now. Those who are transcribing are told to type exactly what they see. Even if they KNOW the name is spelled wrong, they are not supposed to change it (their reasoning has to do with the integrity of the record). But, you are NOT touching the record. The person will see the record (if they can find it through a properly spelled name on the index). Searching becomes so much worse, if the name has a Di or De or La at the beginning. Sometimes, they just leave it out, or its at the end of the name. I cant tell you how many times, while indexing or arbitrating, I thought...these poor people are never going to find their ancestor.
liviomoreno
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: NYC research question Reply with quote

Eleven wrote:
I thought...these poor people are never going to find their ancestor.

I totally agree with you! Crying or Very sad

Poipu04
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: NYC research question Reply with quote

lilbees wrote:
Question? Is the NY death index you spoke of on microfilm and if so do you have a listing for rental?

Thanks,
lilbees

Here is the link to the microfilm: www.familysearch.org/s...m%2F108651

It is also available on the IGG website as an online index but only until I think 1948.

Livio and Eleven: I totally agree with you. The mistakes on the indexes are such that you can never find some relatives. I made a spreadsheet on my website with the morse gold form and then I looked at anything with an odd looking or non-Italian surname. Once I looked at the original index, I was able to correct many of the names on my spreadsheet.

Poipu04
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: NYC research question Reply with quote

P.S. If any of you can take a look at my Ellis Island question on a separate thread, I would appreciate another pair of eyes trying to interpret the handwriting on the linked manifest.

charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: NYC research question Reply with quote

Poipu04 wrote:
lilbees wrote:

Thanks,
lilbees

Here is the link to the microfilm: www.familysearch.org/s...m%2F108651

It is also available on the IGG website as an online index but only until I think 1948.

Livio and Eleven: I totally agree with you. The mistakes on the indexes are such that you can never find some relatives. I made a spreadsheet on my website with the morse gold form and then I looked at anything with an odd looking or non-Italian surname. Once I looked at the original index, I was able to correct many of the names on my spreadsheet.

I think you almost need to be somewhat familiar with the names that you are reading.....it is not always possible with the last names, but if they provided the researchers with at least a somewhat complete list of first names and maybe some common Italian last names as a guide their results would have improved immensely. I know that when I am extracting names, I can almost visualize a lot of the names as I recognize them.....I think it would be almost impossible for someone who has no experience with Italian records.

Researching: Corato, Provincia di Bari in Puglia e San Giorgio Albanese, Provincia di Cosenza in Calabria.
Eleven
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: NYC research question Reply with quote

When I arbitrated, I "fixed" Italian names that I was sure of. When you are indexing, you cant really do that, because an arbitrator gets it after you. I really did try to do it how they wanted it done..lol

It took me years, to find some records for my people. It waited until ancestry first put the census records out there and I subscribed for the first time. I dont know HOW I found some of my people. The good thing about ancestry, is they permit you to add the "real" name. You just had to send them a short note as to how you knew it was spelled differently. I fixed a dozen or more of my ancestors names.
Poipu04
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: NYC research question Reply with quote

I sent in a correction to www.ellisisland.org and they said they would look into it. I will let you know what happens. The correct name was written on the manifest but the person who indexed it was not familiar with the surname or the name of the town and sort of winged it when they were obviously unable to read the writing.

Page 1 of 1All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index General Discussion Groups Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: