Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › Memories and Guides › PC Info and Guides › WINDOWS 8 ---- NOT SO EASY TO USE ON NEW LAPTOP

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
WINDOWS 8 ---- NOT SO EASY TO USE ON NEW LAPTOP
For help with tech support and programs
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index PC Info and Guides Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: WINDOWS 8 ---- NOT SO EASY TO USE ON NEW LAPTOP Reply with quote

My old laptop has begun to show a few signs that it might be going bad (a couple of screen blackouts so far) so I jumped at the great deal that Staples offered on a new Toshiba model a few weeks ago. Being a new model it came with WINDOWS 8 installed. So far I am not a fan of the new OS as I think it is much better suited to run on a tablet. The start menu is gone and there are tiles to launch the apps. I have done some research (which I should have done before my purchase) about user experience and there seems to be a lot of similiar sentiment. There are also a few 3rd part apps which apparently mimic some of the Windows7 functionality (including the Start Menu); not sure if they are worthwhile but I plan to explore them further. Given time, I guess I will get used to it, but I would suggest that anyone planning on buying a new PC with WINDOWS8 should try it out first (I bought my PC online, sight unseen).

Researching: Corato, Provincia di Bari in Puglia e San Giorgio Albanese, Provincia di Cosenza in Calabria.
JoeB
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: WINDOWS 8 ---- NOT SO EASY TO USE ON NEW LAPTOP Reply with quote

I upgraded my Win 7 PC to Win 8. I wish I hadn't. It may work well on touch screen systems but my old fashion Plain-Old-PC with a Plain-Old-Keyboard just doesn't seem to take advantage of it's so called state-of-the-art App control. The only Win 8 app I use is "Desktop" which simply puts me back into a Win 7 mode. Now I'm finding out that the new JAVA updates won't work with it, Turbo Tax 2012 won't talk to Turbo Tax 2011, and on and on. I tried to back it out and reinstall Win 7 but related FAQs and online articles convinced me this would be very difficult. So, like you, I'll just live with it.

Sorry for blathering on — Joe B.

Also researching James Blackwell, Royal Regiment of Artillery in Ashton-Under-Lyne, County of Lancashire, England. b:1827 Macclesfield, County of Cheshire, England. d: About 1889 at Garden Island, Ontario, Canada.
charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: WINDOWS 8 ---- NOT SO EASY TO USE ON NEW LAPTOP Reply with quote

I looked at he Toshiba website and I can run WIN7 on it, but I will need to buy a full WIN7 distribution to do so......so much for the $150 savings.

Researching: Corato, Provincia di Bari in Puglia e San Giorgio Albanese, Provincia di Cosenza in Calabria.
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: WINDOWS 8 ---- NOT SO EASY TO USE ON NEW LAPTOP Reply with quote

I think the WIN8 is better suited to the *younger* generation. My son loves it- I do not. They are all about apps so this works for them I guess. I couldn't use an app if my life depended on it. He's been trying to get me & my other son to upgrade but I'm not doing - I know I'll hate it since I'm already having a hard time with my new phone. SO much for modern technology.

Calabria Exchange
goganga
Dev
Dev

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: WINDOWS 8 ---- NOT SO EASY TO USE ON NEW LAPTOP Reply with quote

nuccia wrote:
I think the WIN8 is better suited to the *younger* generation. My son loves it- I do not. They are all about apps so this works for them I guess. I couldn't use an app if my life depended on it. He's been trying to get me & my other son to upgrade but I'm not doing - I know I'll hate it since I'm already having a hard time with my new phone. SO much for modern technology.

Try a Mac. It takes a few days to get used to it, but after a while you'll forget about Windows... and you will be wondering why you did not try it before.. Wink

>> Amici Over the Ocean

>>Simona - Redazione CanaleGenoa
tjbrn
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: WINDOWS 8 ---- NOT SO EASY TO USE ON NEW LAPTOP Reply with quote

I Agree. I left the world of Windows about 8 years ago and haven't looked back.

Scribbling
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: WINDOWS 8 ---- NOT SO EASY TO USE ON NEW LAPTOP Reply with quote

I would love a MAC - if I could afford it. I have always wanted one. Maybe one day I'll get it - maybe about the same time I finally invest in a dishwasher...

Calabria Exchange
JoeB
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: WINDOWS 8 ---- NOT SO EASY TO USE ON NEW LAPTOP Reply with quote

Me too Nuccia. I have the new dishwasher still can't afford a MAC ! Also, aren't there a lot of program translate problems if your files are in a PC Windows environment? Someday maybe? Joe B.

Also researching James Blackwell, Royal Regiment of Artillery in Ashton-Under-Lyne, County of Lancashire, England. b:1827 Macclesfield, County of Cheshire, England. d: About 1889 at Garden Island, Ontario, Canada.
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: WINDOWS 8 ---- NOT SO EASY TO USE ON NEW LAPTOP Reply with quote

What YOU GOT A DISHWATER???? Well then you are definitely ahead of me. I think the reason my husband doesn't want one (besides the money and lack of space) is that he knows I would use the time to do more research instead of housework!! lol Honestly I get more and more confused with each new generation of computers so I don't know anymore. Equation: 2 bucks a day for x number of days =MAC Smile (And I failed math - huh!

Calabria Exchange
JoeB
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: WINDOWS 8 ---- NOT SO EASY TO USE ON NEW LAPTOP Reply with quote

Yes, "X number of days" that would be my problem too. So lets see, you soap up the dish, then you rinse it, then you get a towel and dry it. I seem to remember doing that once in a while. X number of days is starting to sound - not so bad!

tjbrn
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: WINDOWS 8 ---- NOT SO EASY TO USE ON NEW LAPTOP Reply with quote

Actually with a Mac you can run Windows using programs such as Parallels or VMWare Fusion and have the Windows world right on the Mac without rebooting or giving up the Windows programs you already own--I did this for a while with the Windows version of Quicken. Files can be dragged and dropped from one OS to the other.

Apple offers refurbished Macs at a discount. The refurbs are reconditioned by Apple and are basically new devices which for one reason or another have been returned; they are usually snapped up very quickly though. The cost is not really out of line with comparably configured PCs and OS X is a much better behaved OS than Windows. No OS is perfect but I certainly haven't had to worry with anti-virus software in years.

Scribbling
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: WINDOWS 8 ---- NOT SO EASY TO USE ON NEW LAPTOP Reply with quote

I think my next investment will be a MAC. I have always wanted one and it's time I do something for me. But for now I will work with what I have as this was a gift from a good friend.

Calabria Exchange
Poipu04
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: WINDOWS 8 ---- NOT SO EASY TO USE ON NEW LAPTOP Reply with quote

I just read the headline on this subject and I can now say that I fully agree that Windows 8 is not intuitive without a touch screen (which I don't have). I have been using my ipad more than my new Laptop because I don't have enough time yet to figure out how to use Windows 8. I hope the tutorial that goes with Windows 8 is worthwhile because I can hardly do anything, including going forward and backwards on a webpage. I am totally lost!

BTW, I bought my ipad refurbished through Apple's website and got a pretty great price for it. Tom is right, they get bought quickly so if you have your mind set on their refurbished products you should check back every day, several times a day until you find one and can scoop it up.

charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: WINDOWS 8 ---- NOT SO EASY TO USE ON NEW LAPTOP Reply with quote

I purchased a small program called STARDOCK which provies a "start menu" for WIN8....good deal for $5.

I have a "refurb" Motorola Xoom tablet --- 10" with Android OS; I bought it on a "liquidator" website called DailySteals for ~ $200 ---- I use it quite bit. It is "Verizon branded" and there is a slot for a SIM card plus it supports WIFI.

Poipu04
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: WINDOWS 8 ---- NOT SO EASY TO USE ON NEW LAPTOP Reply with quote

I will have to check that our Charlie. Thanks! Do you know of any good windows 8 tutorials in the meantime? I reviewed the one that came with the computer last night. I learned some things but I am sure there is a lot more to go!

Page 1 of 3All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index PC Info and Guides Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: